6mm Remington

Deerslayer0823":325jej9t said:
Hey! 6mm Remington!
Just got a box of Hornady Superformance 6mm Remington with 95gr SST's. How good is that round, and how good is Hornady brass to reload.
I was, and still am looking for Winchester brass, or ammo. I know Winchester makes a pretty strong case to do reloads.
How does Hornady compare?
I've not used Hornady brass. I can't imagine why it would not work! Best of luck with it.

Thanks for all the insight guys!
Well appreciate!
Hopefully will do final sight in soon, and let y'all know how my Remington 760 does, and of course the 6mm Remington ammo! Can't wait to go busting some hogs, coyotes, or deer with it!

preacher":pox4tcfn said:
Back in early 70's in East Texas the 6mm Remington in a Remington Mod 742 was considered "ne plus ultra"! ha. Everyone I knew who had one used Remington factory 100gr corlokt and killed everything from coyotes to whitetail to hogs with them! My BIL still uses his. I never saw one in a pump, in fact, the only few pumps I saw were the older Mod 760 in .308. I have another BIL who had/used an old Remington Mod 788 in 6mm too. In fact, I saw one, just one, .243 then, all the rest were 6mm! I have used 6mm wildcats ( 6mm/284; 6x47; 6mm/30-30 Improved) .243, 6mm Remington, .240 Weatherby, all on varmints to Scimitar Horned Oryx. For big game, I liked the 85gr Barnes XBT and 90X. I've turned prairie dogs into a grease spot with the 65gr VMax from a bull barreled 6mm Rem. Killed antelope with the 95 NBT. While I enjoyed them all, and favor the 240W, I personally feel like the 6mm Remington is the easiest to find good loads for and is a real killer. To me "It's the 30-06" of the 6mm family, meaning it will just do all you would want a 6mm to do! If your trigger is too "mushy" in your pump, Timney makes a replacement, not sure if it will work in the Mod 760 ( it will for the 7600 series) but a good gunsmith can lighten it up for you.. Remington pumps with good triggers will shoot with 95% of the good bolt guns out there! Have a ball!
P.S. http://www.barnesgunparts.com has a $9.99 trigger kit for the Mod 760!

I'm here in South Central Texas, and I'm hoping it's every bit as good here as it was in East Texas!
The deer here are about the same size as a large dog, so I have no doubt It'sgoing to be a zapper on them!
So far, the trigger seems to be ok on my 760, but will definitely look at the website you mentioned if I feel it become a hindrance!

If I were to go elk huntin, what would be the biggest one I should go after?
Where would I put the bullet? Neck shot, or vitals?
Broadside shot? Frontal?
Just wanting opinions.
Your suggestions 6mm Remington?

I would use a bigger rifle. Now if your heart is set on using the 6mm I would choose a premium bullet like a 100 Partition an E-tip or a barnes X. BAim for the shoulder or there abouts and sharpen your knife.

FOTIS":2beylhd7 said:
I would use a bigger rifle. Now if your heart is set on using the 6mm I would choose a premium bullet like a 100 Partition an E-tip or a barnes X. BAim for the shoulder or there abouts and sharpen your knife.

I'm with Fotis there. Use good bullets and aim straight. Prefer larger but I wouldn't stay home with a small rifle.

If it were that I only had my Remington 760, and deer season overlapped elk season, and the elk of a lifetime presented itself, you better believe I would light it up with my 6mm!

Otherwise, I will specifically use my Savage 99 in .300 Savage, using 180 Nosler BT @ 2400 - 2500 fps, or use my K-31 with a 180 BT @ 2600 - 2700 fps. I'll be having elk steak for sure! (y)

Pics of Remington 760 in 6mm Remington

Attachments

• IMG_20150503_183910.jpg
    IMG_20150503_183910.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMG_20150503_183819.jpg
    IMG_20150503_183819.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,057
In the future I will use the 90gr E Tip, or 95 gr AB, seeing that they have high BC's!
And can be driven at excellent velocities.

With your original question of elk with the 6 , I'd say you bet . There are caveats though, shots I would say max 200 yrds preferably less, broadside shots only, I would treat it much more like bowhunting and make sure to be patient enough for a good clean shot.
For myself and reasons above is why I feel the 100 gr Partition is the best bullet choice for biggame with 243/6mm. BC's will not matter much at the ranges I intend use these at, not saying they won't work , I just like the sure bet of the PT.

I'd be okay hunting with the 90 AB or 100 PT as Super 7 mentioned. Even shooting a little further but they are a big animal so as long as the pill takes out the plumbing you'll be in good shape.

Deerslayer0823":58mfqz8r said:
If I were to go elk huntin, what would be the biggest one I should go after?
Where would I put the bullet? Neck shot, or vitals?
Broadside shot? Frontal?
Just wanting opinions.
Your suggestions 6mm Remington?
I'd say tight behind the shoulder in the heart/lungs. An elk won't go far with a hit like that.
This bull was shot at about 30 yards. There were little benches on this slope, but it was very steep in most places and rally got thick. I didn't want him to go anywhere so I hit him in the right shoulder and the 100 gr. Partition angled slightly forward as to how he was standing. It exited just in front of his left shoulder. He was dead on his feet and staggered about 10 feet and I put one more at the base of his ear and he dropped. I just didn't want him going anyplace because I knew it would be down, and to get him out we had to go up! The 100 gr. Partition is a penetrating son of a gun! Great bullet to use if you might a happen upon something bigger than a 300 pound mule deer.

This was my son's first elk at 350 yards. One shot at her standing broadside. The 90 gr. E-tip went in tight behind her right shoulder and exited her left shoulder where you see the blood on it. She went about 20 yards and dropped. I was pretty impressed with that performance. She was quite a bit bigger than the spike bull I shot with my 6mm. I'm certain the 90 gr. AccuBond would also perform on par with either the Partition or the E-tip.

So.......
If I can get 3300fps out of a 90 gr E Tip, I'm thinking I'm good for quite a ways on deer, and maybe elk.
Is this correct?

That's asking alot out of a pump gun, I'd be more worried about reliability and accuracy then speed.
Once again with the mono metal bullets they are long for weight and caliber, the E-tip doesn't use relief grooves like the tsx so in load work up you must be aware of this. Depending on your other components and what your rifle likes I think in around that 3050-3100 is more of a realistic MV.
I ussually go for the 100 gr PT for hunting and the 100 gr SGK for practice. I am right around that 3000fps with a 22" barrelled Rem 788. 6MM Rem.
I have a Rem 7600 pump in 243, and have had extraction issues with a warm load. The worst of which happend in a hunting situation , developed a moderate load in late fall , everything seemed great. Hit one of those odd TShirt + 20*C days here in Nov, my buddy had pushed out a nice deer I missed the first shot when he busted out then he ran to about 100 yrds and stood there I could not eject the shell , to warm for the pump gun I guess. Lesson learned.
Oh and a small base sizing die is pretty much a must for reliability in the pumps .

Thank you for the great advice super-7,
I will certainly keep that in mind.
Maybe going with an AccuBond, or a ttsx will be better than going with an ETip?
Just making sure.....ya know?
I think temp differences can play a lot too on extraction issues with the 760/7600 series of pump rifles.
Going from air conditioning to hot weather here may have played some on the extraction issue i had here with my 760.

With the extraction problemI had on my 760, I went from very cold air conditioning, to almost 100 degree F weather. I did notice a coating of moisture all over the rifle, and I'm thinking there was moisture in the chamber too when I shot, and could have ccontributed to the case sticking in thechamber. I know the actions on the 760/7600 aren't the tightest closing, and I bet the sweating in the chamber didn't help either of us.

Definitely could be a contributing factor alright. That ol pump gun I have has taken its fair share of deer , and is used alot as a loaner . I make sure I use decent brass( Remmy) and the small base die , and a moderate load of IMR 4350/ 100 gr PT . It's been very reliable since , I also keep the trigger group and slide clean and a very light cote of G-96 on it.

Back