Ugly Duckling

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Well here is what I picked up off GB and this is a before picture and won't look like this too long. Oh and I didn't pay what the hanger tag reads, it was a lot less.
M70 7MM Remington Mag push feed with 26" barrel. Should be a nice winter project.
The Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44MM MC I took off the 300 Wby will go on top in a set of Talley's. (y)

Attachments

• NCM_0360.JPG
    NCM_0360.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 845
  • NCM_0359.JPG
    NCM_0359.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 845
Looks good to me Rodger and it should kick a lot less than your 300 Wby did regardless of what you load in it. What a loads do you have planned for it?

I loaded up a bunch of 154 gr Hornady's last night with IMR 4451 and 7977 just need to wait till the remnants of hurricane Oho to pass through to go and test them :roll: Hoping to get a load with the 150 gr Partition ready before moose season opens.

Not sure gerry, I have some 140gr BT's and some 169gr Ab's and can get some 150gr ABLR's reasonably. I need to find my final load for the 200gr AB for the 35AI before season starts here which is just a matter of fine tuning what I already know. The 7RM is a winter project so I don't get Bored. :roll: :lol: (y)

Should be a fun project for you. Lots of great 7mm bullets out there to try.

I forgot to mention it being half asleep and all this morning but when I visited DrMike I had the gun shop there fit a 7mm RM take off barrel I had bought earlier to my Sako action. It was originally from a Sako 85 Bavarian. The only charged $50 to put it on and in 30 minutes I was on my way.

gerry":3lcim620 said:
Looks good to me Rodger and it should kick a lot less than your 300 Wby did regardless of what you load in it. What a loads do you have planned for it?

I loaded up a bunch of 154 gr Hornady's last night with IMR 4451 and 7977 just need to wait till the remnants of hurricane Oho to pass through to go and test them :roll: Hoping to get a load with the 150 gr Partition ready before moose season opens.

Gerry, for some reason that I can't explain I don't like buying brand new unfired rifles. The couple I have bought new have never preformed for me and I always seem to pass them along for a nice used rifle. My M77 tang safety needed extensive bedding work right after I bought it due to warpage of the forearm and the only reason I went threw the expense was it shot good before the problem occurred. I'm a tinker at heart and love making a silk purse out of a sows ear. This one will get a new Boyds laminated stock with scale style checkering.

Nice. The Laminated stock will add weight.......

FOTIS":1gw8xean said:
Nice. The Laminated stock will add weight.......
That along with a Decelerator recoil pad should make it pleasant to shoot. Also hoping it balances better as right now it feels muzzle heavy with out a scope mounted.

DrMike":3l3udg4e said:
Very nice, Rodger. That dog is going to hunt! (y)
the bore is bright clean the usual bluing wear is evident since it is a beaded finish instead of high polish blue.The bolt shows signs that it had been racked a few times with the jeweling wear which isn't deep like a Remington. Once I get the brass and dies I ordered I'll load some test loads and sight the scope in, but no big hurry since I have 3 other rifles I can hunt with that will get the job done. (y)

Rodger that Model 70 in a 7mm mag is a great rifle. Once you rework her a bit I am sure you will get it shooting real small groups :wink:.
I have loaded for a number of different rifle in the 7mm mag & never found one that didn't like 160gr. ABs over top of IMR 4350.
Once you get her to the development stage, let me know & I will give you the load that I have used! This is if you want it.
Enjoy your winter project (y),

Blessings,
Dan

Back