Lightweight 270 finished up and off to nitride!!

Finished weight scoped came out at 6 pounds 10.8 ounces. I could shed up to a half a pound with a lighter scope but This was the lightest one I could find with all the options that I wanted. At just over 6 1/2 pounds its very easy to carry but heavy enough to shoot without feeling like its going to float away. I think it will work out really well.

I’m going to put together a few loads with 150 LRAB, I need to pick up a pound or two of Re26 but will start out with some re22 and 7828.

That sucker looks awesome. I'm with Gerry. Well thought out rifle.

Can't wait to see what it does.

I had a few guns that needed test fired from that batch of nitride so I ran out to the range tonight. I didn't have a chance to load up any ammo for the 270 but I had a box of nosler 140 BT ammo from my wife's 270.

Got it centered at 25 yards, let her cool off and shot this 5 shot group. Right at an inch, not too shabby for off the shelf ammo, especially considering that skinny long barrel. Heats up QUICK!

f92920c9fc2e11b55f4e8b5a30512a16.jpg

Then had the pleasure of sighting in a couple customer guns. A lightweight 375 RUM, and weatherby 378 mark V. I dislike those weatherby high comb stocks, especially when their too short for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at all that magazine room for long pointy high BC bullets!
06298522e86235f0de4a4d5d271d9656.jpg

That's a good start and that is one of the great things about a Rem 700, lots of room to chase the lands or shoot VLD type bullets :)

Very nice. I'd be pretty excited to see a group like that out of a brand new barrel.

Oh yeah, plenty of mag space there and depending on how it's throated, you should really be able to get some good speed on the 150 ABLRs. Looks awesome Bear. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

You are definitely up and running. That is a great start to finding perfection.

Where did you send it to do the finish? Im in the middle of a build and would rather the nitride than the cerakote....

Alaska custom firearms, They do the disassembly and metal prep, then sent to H&M metals for the nitriding. Then reassemble and testfire. I recommend you let a gunsmith do the prep, you have to pull the barrel and tear it completely apart all steel except springs and a couple of stainless alloys can be done. It needs to be bead blasted and very clean before getting nitrided. Just about as impervious to weather as you can get

ok so its not even built yet (barrel isn't threaded or chamber cut). Can he cut thread it after its been treated with the finish? What needs to be done to the action to be finished?

What kind of action?

Complete all metal work to the rifle, complete and test fire. Once it's done, complete disassembly and bead blast everything, anything made of steel that's not a spring. Trigger parts, bases, rings, base and ring screws, sling swivels, ect.....obviously don't blast your crown, bore or sear points on trigger.

Reassemble and test fire after nitrided. If you mark headspace on barrel before you break it apart it's pretty simple. Just a lot of labor. The key is once the metal is finished there is nowhere for corrosion to get back into the metal, that's why you pull barrel and completely disassemble everything.

It's a no build up process so there are no clearance issues like you can get with coatings or paints. Including the bore so make sure it's nice and clean before you send it in.

Back