lever action addition

yukon huntress":1se54q7v said:
Guy, it is funny you mention the 22--which lever action 22 would you recommend

It might be awhile before I am able to see your answers or respond, so let me thank you now

For me, I really prefer the .22 Marlin 39A, or if you can find one, the 39M or "Mountie." Both are great rifles. I haven't seen any new ones in quite a while - not sure they're currently in production. Anyone know? There are a LOT of them available used, typically at pretty steep prices. Very well regarded rifles.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":tmqk62fw said:
yukon huntress":tmqk62fw said:
Guy, it is funny you mention the 22--which lever action 22 would you recommend

It might be awhile before I am able to see your answers or respond, so let me thank you now

For me, I really prefer the .22 Marlin 39A, or if you can find one, the 39M or "Mountie." Both are great rifles. I haven't seen any new ones in quite a while - not sure they're currently in production. Anyone know? There are a LOT of them available used, typically at pretty steep prices. Very well regarded rifles.

Regards, Guy

+ 1 Marlin 39a

356 would work for you, possibly as well or better than the 348. For you I would recommend the 356 over the 375, but you didn't ask me lol

The Finnwolf and the 308 caliber would be a nice addition to a lever collection

For nostalgia purposes it is hard to beat a '94 in 30-30, but the Marlin is a good choice too (and a personal favourite as I used my grandfather's to harvest my first big game animal; a whitetail doe.

I would lean towards the big bore as you do live and hunt for larger game than most on this forum, and while the 356 is very similar to your 348, it is easier to find ammo for than the 348 and 375, but having had the 375 longer and used it to harvest a lot of game, it is my personal favourite here.

A 358 in either a BLR, 99 or 88 would be very nice as well. I have had my BLR for quite some time and it gets carried and used a lot, as it is handy, light, accurate and very effective on large game.

A 88 in 284 is very cool and has its own uniqueness that cannot be ignored. I've made up some loads for mine now and just have to get out to the range now.

The Finnwolf is a very nice rifle, but unfortunately I have not had the pleasure yet to hunt or shoot with one. But an addition worthy of a lever-lover's collection.

The Henry's are very slick rifles and am still waiting to hear when my 41 Rem Mag will arrive.

Whichever rifle or rifles, you choose and acquire, I'm sure that you will enjoy them and have as much fun shooting and hunting with them as you do with your current rifles!

oztfyA8.jpg

Another pic of my Savage 99C

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Great photos everyone.

I really like the model 94's. I think the 356 win, Cheyenne. Beautiful rifles DrMike.

Also, like Guy's 39A, neat little 22.

Cheyenne,

The 356 is a favourite of mine. It has considerably more reach than the 375 and packs sufficient punch to put down game within a couple of hundred yards plus. It carries easily, chambers readily and slaps a bear or a moose hard. Because they are no longer being produced, those who own them are offering them only at a premium. I still find some excellent buys here in Canada. They usually sell for one-half to two-thirds of what they are going for in the States.

SJB358":o9r8vjl1 said:
I'm with the others, a clean M94 30-30 loaded up with some quality bullets is a pretty handy rifle.

Yup and I have a bunch!

pre 64 32 Win Special
Browning 348
marlin 30-30
marlin 444
marlin 25-20
marlin 32-20
sako finnwolf 308
Marlin 22 LR

April, sorry you felt you needed to delete your post, but I do understand.

Jamila, hopefully you will see this thread. I know your dad collects all the Winchester lever's and I believe has at least one from each era--1866, 1873 etc. Although I can not afford to buy original Winchesters from those era's, I believe some of them, or most of them have been reproduced by others. So please ask him when you speak to him

However, I believe others here also have the information I am looking for and would be willing to share with me--ie Dr Mike, Gil, Scotty, Guy, April, Jim and others

1. opinion of the 405 in the 95 model. I have a 45/70--how does it compare to the 45/70
2. Would you buy a Sako Finnwolf ( I would probably get it in the 308 ), not just for the collection, but are they a well made rifle
3.the old calibers that were made so one could use the same bullet in your handgun or rifle (38-40 and 32-20 ). Strictly collectable or could one hunt with them--would you hunt with them, even if the answer is, sure you could

I've always had a this funny idea of taking a 1895Win in 30-06 and having it bored out to 35 Whelen. The 95 doesn't carry like a classic lever but it has always interested for some reason. Maybe because it was one Teddy's rifles.

Scott

not to worry Cheyenne. I am too old to worry about those things, but sometimes they are so obvious they are a bit humorous

To your questions.

1. The question to Jerry ( Jamila'a father ) yes
2. you will get style points for the 405 and it would be a great collector's piece, but for hunting the 45/70 wins over the two IMHO
3. yes. If you find one in good condition at a good price the Sako/308 would be a great addition to your collection
4. No, I would not hunt with the them, but some have. As you know polar bears have been harvested with a 22

I was going to suggest a Winchester 1895, but they can demand premium prices. The Winchester 1895 came in .30-40 Krag, .303 British, 7.62x54R, later .30-06, .405 Winchester and a few more.
Browning a few years back came back out with the 1895, which are a hair less than the originals.
Now if we're talking about replica arms, then you can find copies of Winchester 1876's in .45-60, .45-75, and .50-90. Then there are the Winchester 1886's in .45-70, and a few in .50-90.
Now those are slow and heavy bullets right on your radar, with nostalgia the cherry on top!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I was never a fan of the Model 95, but my prejudice is based solely on aesthetics. The rifle is a solid design that allows some pretty good loads. I think it would be difficult to choose one cartridge over the other. One has a larger frontal area and the other can generate higher velocities. Hard to choose on ballistics. The Finnwolf is a classic in its own right. You could do far worse than to own a Finnwolf chambered in .308. People did and do hunt with rifles chambered in handgun cartridges, but for the things you may encounter, I would suggest other chamberings.

yukon huntress":39wu90js said:
1. opinion of the 405 in the 95 model. I have a 45/70--how does it compare to the 45/70
2. Would you buy a Sako Finnwolf ( I would probably get it in the 308 ), not just for the collection, but are they a well made rifle
3.the old calibers that were made so one could use the same bullet in your handgun or rifle (38-40 and 32-20 ). Strictly collectable or could one hunt with them--would you hunt with them, even if the answer is, sure you could

Let's see...
1. .405 Win is a nice cartridge but if I wanted it strictly for use, I'd likely opt for a .45-70 instead. .405 is a very cool round, but options for brass and ammo are limited. As a collectible- perfect. As a hunter? Not so much to me.

2. Finnwolf- a very nice rifle but they're scarce in these parts and I've only seen a couple. I've got to be honest...late model levers like the Win 88 and the Finnwolf just leave me feeling a little bleh. The BLR is the best "modern design" lever gun going, it will be hard to improve upon your 7WSM. They are a neat collectible, but to me not as interesting as the 1894, 1895, M71 or as practical as a 336 or BLR. The 88 suffered from a horrendous trigger as well.

3. Those old handgun rounds like a 38-40, 32-20, etc.. are neat. I wouldn't hunt big game with any of them since most don't approach anything like the 44 Mag in terms of energy or trajectory. I have shot hares with a friend's 25-20. Perfect for that...not much else.

Good luck on your continuing quest for another lever!

Gentleman, I had a rare day off work and have had the opportunity to read your posts uninterrupted so to speak.

I want to thank each of you for taking the time to share your thoughts and guidance with me

This is what i have decided, but there is still time to correct me if you feel I am making a bad decision

Levers currently in my possession

99 250/3000
BLR 7mmWSM---which I use, a lot
71 348--which I use a lot
95 45/70
henry 44-40

I can not see anything I will gain over the 348 with the 356, please correct me if I am wrong. I have no idea what I would use the 22 for and I am afraid it would never be used and that is o.k. if I just want to say I have a 22 in a lever action. The 308 Finnwolf is another one that intrigues me, but only as a collectable. However, the 308 slips right in between the 7and 348, so tell me if you think I am wrong. So, I think my next lever will be the 94 30/30.

please tell me if you disagree and again thank you

I think a 94 in 30-30 would serve you well and since it would be hard to mount a scope on it I would get a Lyman or Redfield rear aperture peep sight for it since it would handle faster than the Buck Horn rear sight if you would get in a tight spot with a Bear or other carnivore. I recommended one to an older gentleman for his 94 30-30 deer rifle since he was having trouble with seeing the sights and he was tickled that he could hit what he was shooting at again with better accuracy.

You are a bit light in the Savage M99 department. Know you seem set on a traditional Winchester style, but 99s in .300 are pretty affordable and would fill a hole in your caliber arsenal. This round with a 165 Partition will thump anything short of Grizzlys to 200 yards or better.

In a pinch, the 180 Norma Alaska will perform on the bigger nasties, but with significantly less shock and awe than your .348. They will expand nicely even on light deer at .300 Sav. velocities.

Polaris":20v4o3wf said:
You are a bit light in the Savage M99 department. Know you seem set on a traditional Winchester style, but 99s in .300 are pretty affordable and would fill a hole in your caliber arsenal. This round with a 165 Partition will thump anything short of Grizzlys to 200 yards or better.

I fully agree!
I think that would be the bee's knees!
I'm particular to Savage 99's. If you wanted a slower round, a 99 in .303 Savage would do nicely.
Polaris is right, they're not all that expensive yet.
But the .300 Savage is mighty fine! It's ballistics are the same as the .30-40 Krag, albeit in a much more compact round and rifle.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

truck driver":3k895p1w said:
I think a 94 in 30-30 would serve you well and since it would be hard to mount a scope on it I would get a Lyman or Redfield rear aperture peep sight for it since it would handle faster than the Buck Horn rear sight if you would get in a tight spot with a Bear or other carnivore. I recommended one to an older gentleman for his 94 30-30 deer rifle since he was having trouble with seeing the sights and he was tickled that he could hit what he was shooting at again with better accuracy.

+1

Sitting and waiting on the fog to clear so we can fly to Morraine creek allowed me to do a little catching up.
Everyone needs to own, in conjunction with everything else three lever actions: a 22; 30-30 and a 45/70. Anything but equals an incomplete life:)
Oh and an 06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have stated that I'm a Savage 99 fan, but I do like other lever action rifles as well. I've always had a soft spot for .30-30's. I've come to like Marlin 336's in .30-30 more than Winchester 94's. It was a hard decision. I finally had to think long and hard. Why did I like the Winchester over the Marlin? Well, it was only one reason. Purely because it looked better. The Marlin is smoother, and holds a degree of strength more, and are way more accurate. And, yes, they aren't as pretty. But, to my defense, and the guys on here can back me up, are you going to stay with the girl that looks gorgeous, that does nothing for you over the one that is pretty, and loves you, and cooks and cleans, and takes care of you?
Now, I will end up eventually getting a lever action in .22 and .45-70.
Guess which ones I'm going to pick? Yup! The Marlins!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Back