What are we hunting with this season?

That 130 TTSX in 270 win blew thru both shoulders of my wife's moose last year. You've never seen a quicker moose kill. I'm a big fan of TTSX and TSX bullets if the velocity is kept up. A lot of the problem people have is using a too heavy mono metal bullet.

You really have to drop bullet weight by 20% or better to have a fair comparison and muzzle velocity of at least 3k fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mathews bow for archery elk. 100g Muzzy broadhead, killed a 5 point bull on Sept 22. Will be using my 6.5-300 Wby for blacktail deer then an old Wby fibermark rebarreled to 338 win. for a Wyoming elk hunt with the 6.5-300 Wby for backup.

My support hand shoulder continues to worsen. I have done a fair amount of shooting with different rifles to determine what I can shoot semi accurately. And this is the battery for this year.
The old Ruger .44 auto carbine has been brought out of the safe. It wears the same 3X9 Leupold Vari-X II I bought for the gun back in 1980. I can actually shoot this one with very little pain. I'll shoot the old standby Speer 240 grain Gold Dot Soft Point and a max load of 296.
It will share time with my .54 caliber flintlock. I can shoot this one with my my arm held straight out gripping the stock about half way down. The flintlock always gets plenty of hunting time.
When the leaves fall the Tikka .308 will start getting some time as the ranges will be a little longer, and the shots more precise, as many will need to be threaded through holes in the brush.
For the power line the 7 mag gets the nod. I will be using a sandbag for support.

Darkhorse":12ww19ln said:
My support hand shoulder continues to worsen. I have done a fair amount of shooting with different rifles to determine what I can shoot semi accurately. And this is the battery for this year.
The old Ruger .44 auto carbine has been brought out of the safe. It wears the same 3X9 Leupold Vari-X II I bought for the gun back in 1980. I can actually shoot this one with very little pain. I'll shoot the old standby Speer 240 grain Gold Dot Soft Point and a max load of 296.
It will share time with my .54 caliber flintlock. I can shoot this one with my my arm held straight out gripping the stock about half way down. The flintlock always gets plenty of hunting time.
When the leaves fall the Tikka .308 will start getting some time as the ranges will be a little longer, and the shots more precise, as many will need to be threaded through holes in the brush.
For the power line the 7 mag gets the nod. I will be using a sandbag for support.

Just curious, have you tried anything with a pistol grip or thumbhole configuration? Should give your strong arm more control.

All of these rifles have pistol grips except for the flintlock and the trigger guard on that one gives leverage almost like a pistol grip.
The .44 auto carbine is the only one I can shoulder without pain as it only has a 18 1/2 barrel with most of the weight in the strong hand.
Under 100 yards the .44 carbine is very deadly but the trigger is awful. Years ago when new my wife couldn't hit a cardboard box at 25 yards, I hardly could. Being young, overconfident and dumb, I took the trigger group apart and managed to smooth it up some. That allowed her to shoot fairly accurately and she shot a number of deer with that old rifle. Even so the trigger is still atrocious compared to everything else I shoot. If I continue to hunt with that rifle I might try to smooth it up a little more.

Looks like I will be letting my daughter use my Weatherby Vanguard S2 270 Win for the first 4 days of the 2nd season Colorad Elk Hunt. Probably carry my Marlin 444 SS with Hornady 265gr FTX factory loads until I get my 270 back. My wife will be using her Ruger M77 270 Win for the same hunt.. Will be the first time in 3 years we will be back in Gods country hunting the Wapiti.. Can't wait
73 :grin:
Ed

Back