Blaser 338 Lapua

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here are some pics of our Coalition SOF partners Sniper Weapons System. It is a Blaser Tactical II 338 Lapua Magnum. Has a 3x12 Schmidt and Bender scope. The rifle is downright awesome. It is of the straight pull design and very, very accurate. Recoil is really nothing at all. I would guess about the same as a 270 Win or less. The ammo is from some Swiss Company I have never heard of, but it is a 260gr bullet. I would guess the weight to be about the same as my Heavy Varmint SS/Synthetic Barreled Savage 22-250. Anyhow, just thought you all would like to see some pictures. Scotty

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

Yeah, you sure would not want to be on the receiving end of that puppy! It looks very business-like, and effective. It sure looks different from a Remington 700 chambered in 7.62 X 51 with a Unertl scope mounted atop. Thanks for posting.

No sir! That is a serious rifle in anybodies book. Some may not like the stock design or the futuristic look, but man, are they ever some very solid, accurate and deadly rifles. Scotty

I've handled a few Blasers, and they are well designed. I've worked up loads for a few 338 Lapuas, and they can shoot well. Usually, I think of a TRG platform as the basis for building an accurate rifle. I would not have imagined beginning with a Blaser. However, I should imagine that careful consideration was given before beginning that project.

Mike, this was the most accurate rifle I have ever touched, hands down. I know the collet lockup has to have something to do with it. I was blown away with the accuracy of this gun. Those weren't match rounds either..... Scotty

Scotty,

That rifle is awesome, strictly business. With that set up, how far can he shoot it? I'm thinking 1500 yds.

Where is your hat?:lol:

JD338

Add a 1000 meters to that for a material/area target! On a person, they preach 17-1800 meters, but on larger targets like vehicles and buildings, they will stretch it out further.

I know, my hat was jammed down in my bag. I was just about to catch a flight and wanted to get a few pictures of it. I will get some more soon I hope. Been a busy Summer out here. Scotty

Scotty,

Thats impressive distance for sure.

JD338

Jim, scottys comments make you wonder what our .338 Ultramags would do at long range range with the right bullet. I just gained considerably more respect for the .338 caliber. There isn't really much if any difference between both cartridges.

big rifle man":389afpxj said:
Jim, scottys comments make you wonder what our .338 Ultramags would do at long range range with the right bullet. I just gained considerably more respect for the .338 caliber. There isn't really much if any difference between both cartridges.

brm,

Agree! The 338 RUM and 338 Lapua are ballistic twins. The advantage goes to the 338 Lapua with the better brass. I have pushed the 250 gr to 3050 fps and I know the 300 gr SMK can get to 2700 fps.

JD338

JD338":3lhd5zty said:
big rifle man":3lhd5zty said:

brm,

Agree! The 338 RUM and 338 Lapua are ballistic twins. The advantage goes to the 338 Lapua with the better brass. I have pushed the 250 gr to 3050 fps and I know the 300 gr SMK can get to 2700 fps.

JD338

Yep, I'm getting 2990fps with the 250AB in my 338RUM. I bet with the 250PT, I could achieve 3K+. Don't really care as the 250AB is doing what I want and 40fps isn't worth the hassle. IF I want more FPS, I'll sight in my 200ET loads.

Rich,

My 338 RUM has an avg MV of 3024 fps with the 250 gr PT and 98.6 grs Retumbo. Its pretty serious horse power for anything on the globe. :grin:

Scotty, what is the barrel length on that beast?

JD338

It's a wonder that there are any enemy combatants left to shoot at with that kind of range and accuracy. Cool rifle. What's the weight on that?

For what it cost to buy a Lapua, you can build a 338 EDGE a lot cheaper and shoot just as good with the same if not better ballistics, just dont have the lapua brass. Which is OK with me as im not paying $2.25 a piece for it anyways. I'll stick with the 338 EDGE, 300g SMK with a BC of .780 at 2850fps from a 28" tube is a lethal combo way out there. At 1500 yards, its still going right at 1400fps and has 1300 ft lbs energy. Your maximum shooting range limit is going to be based on the transonic phase. With a 300g SMK at 2800-2900fps, 2,000 yards is about tops for accurate MOA shooting.

I plan to take my 338 EDGE w/300g SMK's to a mile (1760) or maybe an even 1800 yards once I get a 20 MOA base. Target will be a 30" steel gong. I think its easily doable on a calm day. That 30" gong equates to about a 1.75 MOA target at that distance so I dont think it'll be to bad...We'll see haha, if anything it'll be a lot of fun trying!!!

I would guess it weighed in around 12-13bs. It was very light actually. Pretty much all barrel. The action isn't really "heavy". I wouldn't mind carrying it on my back for spot and stalk type hunting. Seemed very well balanced also.

RM2506, you are right about paying for Lapua brass and it being a bit cheaper with 338 EDGE components. I would probably go down that road if I was to get something in that long range class. The military sniper rifles are just rugged rifles that get beat up alot. It is hard to put into words how much abuse those guns take and still deal the magic. Plus, they are fearsome weapons to have on the battlefield. To have your buddy turned inside out and not know why is pretty powerful stuff. Scotty

A powerful weapon system, no doubt. 260 grains of metal would certainly put the hurt on a bad guy. Nevertheless, it still takes men who are trained to make it work. I'm glad that such men are on our team.

Virginia State Police TAC teams are using the same rifle in .308 cal. Those rifles shoot scary small groups!

Bryan, it is amazing how accurate it was. I am talking one holers at 100. That is taking a shot, and working the bolt and shooting again. Very accurate rifles. Wouldn't mind having one. Never messed with a Blaser, but it seems just as capable and accurate as any bolt gun I have ever touched, and it is fast to cycle. Scotty

Back