Model 700 Remington

huntnfool

Beginner
Apr 16, 2009
I would like to get opinions of the Model 700 Remington. I am considering the SPS and shoot left handed and want a bolt action.

Back in the 70's and 80's I owned a couple of them and they were excellent.

Many thanks,

Paul

huntnfool -

I doubt one could really ever go wrong with putting another Remington 700 in the safe. I bleed Remington Green - however with that said, they are not the quality they once were back in the 70's & 80's that you mentioned.

What are you planning on using the rifle for ? I'd definately keep an open mind and weigh out your options, as there
are numerous other Mfg's out there as well selling a quality product.
Weatherby, Tikka, Savage and the list goes on.

Let us know what you decide on....

These days? Luck of the draw really.

I would look at a Savage.

I am a Remington fan and have had good luck with several M700's over the years.
Depending on your budget, take a look at the Nosler Model 48. The TGR list for $1795.

JD338

They are probably a little harder to find, but I might try searching for an older model, from before Cerebrus bought Remington. LH sure makes it tough.

The last three Remington 700 that I have had I had a hard time getting to shoot. I admit that I should have given the B$C editon 270 WSM a bit more of a chance. Was a beautiful 26" fluded barrel with a brown laminated stock. Every Savage I have been around has shot lights out. I have one ruger that shoots good, and one Winchester that will with a bit of work.

Man, I like the Rem M700 overall, I just don't like how they put them together. I have three M700, 2 CDL's (35 Whelen - 25-06) and one ADL Youth 243. The Whelen and 243 are good enough rifles, but the latest M700 was struggling till I had some work done to it. It is still not out of the woods with it, but I think it should be okay.

I would really have a hard time telling someone to get a Remington, when a Savage seems to have taken "the most accurate out of the box" statement these days. I also think the Vanguards and M70's are excellent. Even some Brownings are pretty sharp rifles and I have seen any that didn't shoot well. Again, I like my CDL's and the ADL, but I think I could have done much more with my money and been far better off. Scotty

I'm going to find a used Ruger Hawkeye or a used Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS for my rifle build. I've just heard the guys say too many bad things about Remington of late. I used to own a Remington Model 600 6mm Rem that is now my son's. Great rifle built in 1964! I had a 700 ADL 30-06 that was great and never should have gotten rid of. I also sold a MTN Rifle in .280 that was a real dream and a shooter as the others were too. Sold it as money was tight. :cry: My wifes 25-06 MTN rifle is an older one from about 1992 and it's a sweet rifle as well. Just keep hearing too many bad things about them though.

Going RUGER or WINCHESTER FOR ME!
DAVID

I forgot to add Ruger into my "buy" rifles. They are solid rifles and they are STRONG! I have a few Rugers and they are all great rifles. Scotty

The last Remington (CDL) I had needed a trigger job, but otherwise was a great shooter. I ended up trading it back to a good buddy for a Rem LVSF in 22-250. Which then was sold so I could buy another Sako 75. But of the 3 I've had and the probably 20-25 that my buddy has had...I think only one was not a good shooter.

Long

Most of the 700s I have shot in the last ten years were just fine. One had feeding problems and the other had such a sloppy action that you wonder how it ever left the factory. One lug on the bolt never even touched the action. It had un-touched bluing while the other side was bare metal. So 2 out of maybe 13 or 14 rifles had problems. Now on the flip side a couple of those 2 - 3 were fantastic shooters and easy to load for. The rest were what "I" would expect out of a Rem 700 with a little re-loading is 3 shot groups of less than a inch. Sometimes they have good days and you can cover the groups with a qtr.
I also own Sako, Howa and Savage rifles, the Sakos hold there own but the Savage (300WSM) is a good shooter. Very consistant. Now the surprise is the Howa, a 22-250 and a 243. I have groups with the 22 w/55 BT that are one hole, sometimes just a fuzzy hole. The gun is better that I am.

The Rem triggers vary. I only have one Rem factory trigger that I kept and that one is the X trigger on a CDL I just purchased, yes I adjusted the old Rem triggers down but still ended up buying after market. The other 700s and Howa have Basix or Timney.

As far as the SPS, I've owned 2 and handled quit a few to get one that "felt" smooth and solid before buying. Just keep looking and you will find one that is SMOOTH. The CDL, XHR, XCR and Sendero all seem to be smooth right off the rack.
If you buy an SPS, get it out of that plastic toy stock. Pick something of better quality in the bedding and it will at least be able to perform with out that handicap.
As others have posted you can see that many are happy with different brands/companies. If you stick with at least middle of the road models from any of the companies listed, you should be happy with your purchase.

I am died in the wool Remington fan, my safe is full of them, from 22 LR to .375 H&H. Having said that Remington's quality control is NOT what it used to be.

I do feel that the new X-Mark Pro trigger is an improvement over the olds style, I have had no problem adjusting them down to about 2.5 pounds and find them very smooth and crisp. Actually the on eon my 375 H&H is so good I just left it set at 4 pounds like it came from the factory.

I have purchased two Remington rifles in the last year. Both were limited edition rifles made by Remington in 2008.
The first was a Model 700LSS chambered in .257 Wby Mag. My dad has one that just shoots great. I was able to get a good deal on one that was only 15 serial numbers apart from my dad's so I bought it. What an awfull shooting rifle! It would not shoot anything I tried in it. I finally discovered that only one recoil lug was making contact at all and only about 20-25% of that one was bearing all the load. I decided it was not even safe to shoot. I was about to send it back to Remington when a gunsmith friend of mine said he would buy it because he needed a "project". He got a project all right, he had to lap the bolt lugs, redo the crown, bed it, resurface the recoil lug, etc. etc. I was glad to be rid of it.

I had been eyeing another 2008 made rifle and decided to take a chance. It is a Model 700 CDL, the Boone and Crockett limited edition. It is a 300 WSM and is quite beautifull. Laminated stock, 26 inch fluted barrel, B&C medallion on the pistol grip cap, etc. I was leary of buying another Remington made the same year, but this one shoots! It will shoot 168 grain Barnes TSX, Sierra 180 Pro Hunters, Nosler 180 Partitions, everything I have tried has shot well. Pure dumb luck it shoots the exact same load that I shoot in my other Remington 300WSM so well that I decided to just shoot the same shells in both of them. Almost too easy. (the load is 168 grain Barnes TSX over H 4350)

So, like others have said I guess it is a crap shoot with Remington today. Most of the time they will be fine, other times, well you might have trouble. I friend got his grandson a brand new Model 700 CDL chambered in 257 Wby Mag and it had the wrong magazine follower in it. The magazine would not work at all. Had to get it swapped out.

On the other had, for a left hand bolt gun there are not too many choices out there. I would probably take a chance on the Remington.

I love the 700s, but I am not a huge fan of the SPS line. I personally think they are garbage for remington 700s. If you wanna 700, get a good BDL or CDL.

remingtonman_25_06":3t9xysvs said:
I love the 700s, but I am not a huge fan of the SPS line. I personally think they are garbage for remington 700s. If you wanna 700, get a good BDL or CDL.

I thought I was buying good also (CDL). Once you really start to look at it (CDL), there really isn't enough difference to justify the price. Scotty

I appreciate everyone's input.

I am still weighing my options and will talk to several vendors at the Dallas Safari Club Convention in 2 weeks, including Remington.

Paul

salesmen are the last people you want to have the last say on what you want to buy. Their product is always the best, you can't beat it.
I value the opinions of the guys here that are using the product, sure put the questions to the salesmen but they are paid to lie and sell the goods. I have been out of the loop for a spell and this site is sure getting me back up to speed.

The Rem 700 is a good all around basis for building, as is the Win 70 and of late the Savage. The Mauser has always been a tough action also but a little course in military build.
It depends on what you want to do but I've found the cheapest and easiest way to build is with the most commonly built action because more is available in parts and expertise.

huntnfool":368iejnd said:
I appreciate everyone's input.

I am still weighing my options and will talk to several vendors at the Dallas Safari Club Convention in 2 weeks, including Remington.

Paul

Paul,

If you don't mind, give us the run down on what you find out at the SC convention.

JD338

JD338,

Will do. It is January 6-9. I will go at least 2 days, maybe all 4.

Am considering a Plains Game hunt in Zim with Brent Hein.

Paul

Back