Savage 99 in 300 Savage - value question

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
What is the price range for a fairly clean and well kept Savage 99 in 300 Savage?

Bill (OU812) got my hooked into the 300 Savage. There is a Savage 99 for sale locally and I am thinking it might be fun to add to the Rem 700 that I got from Bill.

Cheers

It depends on which 99 it is and the shape or condition and if it's under 1mill. in production.
The campfire forum has a 99 collectors page that can help with the approximate value. I have a 99 EG .308 which was built in 1959 that could be valued between 500 to 1500 depending on the collector.

orchemo":2gxymyb8 said:
What is the price range for a fairly clean and well kept Savage 99 in 300 Savage?

Bill (OU812) got my hooked into the 300 Savage. There is a Savage 99 for sale locally and I am thinking it might be fun to add to the Rem 700 that I got from Bill.

Cheers

Eric, I think you can find them in 300 Savage for between 400 all the way up to a 1000. I am not a Savage junky, but they are super shooters. Mine was built sometime in the 40's I think, and shoots really well with 150 SST's. I love it. Grandad's old hunting rifle. Kinda worn on the blueing, but it shoots well.

I would think you could find a clean example of a 300 Savage that is very huntable for 500.00. I see them pretty often on GB. The 300 Savage was the most chambered round in them I believe, so like a 30-06 in a Pre64, they are usually least expensive. Good luck, hope you get one of them. They are alot of fun.

A buddy just bought one from a guy comig out of Cabelas. Cabelas said they didnt want it because it had been personalized with "nail Art" on the stock. (the guys grandfathers name or somthing like that). OK so it aint pretty, but it is functional, shoots Ok with core lokts and is in THE CALIBRE 250-3000. My friend gave him hundred bucks cash in the parking lot! Dont know whether to be happy for my friend or made 'cause he didnt offer it to me. :cry: :twisted: :) CL

Good grab. The rifle looks to be in good shape. It will be fascinating to see how it performs for you. I will be helping a young lad shortly work up some handloads for his 300 Savage. I hope to be able to help him take his first game with the cartridge.

The .300 Savage case was the archtype for the 7.62 NATO. Case Capacity is nearly the same but pressure is not. My .300 Savage was a 722 Rem. There are lots of good loads for 150 and 165 grain bullets for the Savage.

I too picked one up this year, Savage 99 in 300 Sav. It already had been drilled and tapped for Weaver Scope Mounts. It was a 1950 year model. I changed the stock to one that has a cheek piece to align my eye with a scope. I had to shape and fit it but I don't think it looks to bad. I put a 3x9 Leupold VXII on it and it's sighted in and ready to go. This model brings back memories of hunting with my grandfather in the early '70s. Whitetails in Northern Minnesota.... It's been a while.

Back