.270 wsm case sizing

SR80

Beginner
Jan 6, 2011
just wondering those of you shooting any of the wsm's if when your resizing, you full length resize or neck size? This is the first time ive reloaded for a short mag and was taught to just neck size when reloading, except the very first time sizing the shell. Heres my problem, im finding it hard to close my bolt now, ive probably used the brass 3-4 times only, and only neck sized them. Ive tried full length resizing, and it didnt seem to help. The length is trimmed to spec also. I think ive ruined the brass now. There are some that the bolt closes normally, and ive measured them and compared them to the ones that dont close easily and they measure pretty much the same, i dont know whats going on. Any ideas?

SR80,

The cases will grow after a few loadings and need to have the shoulder bumped. Do a full length resize and try chambering a case in the rifle.

JD338

I don't neck-size anything that I load for. I've been loading the WSM's since their introduction and noticed immediately that the shoulders need to be bumped about .002" in order to avoid tight chambering or not able to chamber at all. Your reloading press will get to the point to where it "cams over" after the shell holder touches the die. Just turn in your die 1/8 turn at a time until the case chambers without resistence.

SR80,

I doubt that you have ruined your cases. It actually sounds as if either the shoulder is not being bumped back or the neck is binding. You may have a short throat. Many of the WSMs, especially those that were produced early on, tend to chamber tight even when everything is copacetic.

thanks guys. I did try full length sizing them. I will try and turn down the die another 1/8th turn and give that a try.

Same here, I just push the shoulders back .002 each time I resize the cases. I still get a tight fit, but nothing my gun won't chamber. It sounds like you are on the right track. Measuring with a comparator will tell you alot and allow you to make accurate measurements while resizing. Scotty

I full length size all my rifle calibers. Now to help prevent constant trimming, I use the RCBS X-sizer die. Set up the die, size all brass, trim to .020 less than SAMMI specs, reset the die to the new trimmed length and basically forget about trimming again.

I hate doing all of the brass prep work, trimming, chamfering and so on, so the X-sizer die saves me a lot of time and I now rarely, if ever, have to perform what I hate doing.

Rich, how does the X Sizer work? I have read a little about them, but that process sounds kind of appealing. Any negatives to it? Scotty

Basically, screw the die in your press/turret like any other die. The difference is, you back off the decapping pin a bit, lube a piece of brass, stick it in the press and run it up into the die. At this point, turn the decapping pin adjuster down until you feel it touch the brass and tighten lock nut. Size ALL your brass at this point. Once sized, trim all brass .020 less than SAMMI. Chamfer/bebur the brass. Now, clean one piece of brass if needed, relube, stick it back in the press and run it up into the die. loosen the lock nut and adjust the decapping pin until it touches the brass and then tighten lock nut. Normally, you have about four threads above the lock nut at this point. If you buy some new brass, this process will need to be repeated to get the new stuff set like the brass you already have.
Here's a link to the instructions:
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/XDieProductInstructions.pdf

I've been using these sizers since I started loading and love them. For instance, with my 270WSM, I trimmed my Win nickle brass to 2.09" and after several firings I checked the brass length and the ones I checked had grown around .004 to .005 and that's it.

Now if your OCD and just can't tolerate your brass not being all equal in length, then the extra cost of this sizer is not for you.

Rich,

That's good stuff. I have X-dies for several of my cartridges, but I haven't looked for several years. I wasn't aware of all the X-dies RCBS was offering. I was pretty amazed to see dies for all the short magnums. I'll have to look into this.

Of the 13 rifle calibers I load for, I don't have X-dies for 3 of them, 223, 300 Savage, and 7mmRM.

Rich,

I have X-dies for the 7RM and the 280. Interestingly enough, I've never used them. However, your comments are stimulating me to give them a try. I remember a review by Rick Jamison when these dies were first released. I bought them then, and they have remained on the shelf since I received them. Shame on me.

DrMike":307x8u18 said:
Rich,

I have X-dies for the 7RM and the 280. Interestingly enough, I've never used them. However, your comments are stimulating me to give them a try. I remember a review by Rick Jamison when these dies were first released. I bought them then, and they have remained on the shelf since I received them. Shame on me.

The 7RM I load for belongs to the GF's son. Since I was footing the entire bill to work up a load for his rifle and then give him a box of ammo for his B-day, I wan't going to buy X-die for this.

I'm with you on this, Rich. I wouldn't buy dies just for someone else. However, I load for all the WSMs, the 260 and a number of other cartridges for which X-dies are now available. I do believe I'll have to give these a try, beginning with what I have on hand (the 7 RM and the 280).

Those do sound pretty good. Can you still just bump shoulders with the dies? Thanks for the explanation Rich. They sound like a good piece of kit to own. I have a bunch of different calibers I load for, so maybe buying a few dies at a pop would be a good thing and cut down on my trimming time. Scotty

When I started reloading for the .270wsm, the only dies I could find were Reddings FL. I can set the sizing die down enough to let a resized case drop cleanly into the chamber, no resistance at all. So I raised the die 1/8th turn, just enough to bearly feel the case on bolt-closing. The rifle is a Weatherby S/S Vanguard, 24" with a 4-12 SF Vortex. This rifle/ammo combination (140 AB) will produce sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards with dies set as described.

That sounds like a winner! I reloaded for my 270WSM without too much thought until I really learned much about resizing.. Oddly enough it still shoots about the same. HA! Scotty

Back