115 gr Partition vs water jugs

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
.25-06, 115 gr Nosler Partition, muzzle velocity of 3180 fps, range 20 yards into the jugs.

Retained weight is 80.5 gr, diameter is .588"

Bullet was recovered from the 5th jug

IMG_4787.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

I have not yet hunted with this bullet, but my .25-06 is sighted in at 300 yards with it right now. Suspect it's going to be more than enough bullet for mule deer.

Thats pretty impressive Guy. Your rifle has the 24" barrel on it doesn't it? What powder are you using? A big old mule deer buck just doesn't stand a chance with that thing! Good luck.
David

Yes, a 24" Remington barrel, and I'm using Retumbo with the heavier bullets. H4350 is my choice with 100 gr bullets in the .25-06 rifle.

That is a nice looking recovery. That lil ol 115 gr PT will surely convince a deer to be in the freezer.

JD338

Honestly, these partitions are quite boring. 128% expansion and 70% weight retention at 3000+fps impact velocity. Ho-hum.

This one hasn't even lost all of it's forward core. Bad mojo there for anything that steps in front of that. Thanks GM.

Indeed, another great performance by what has to be one of the premier bullets available to hand loaders.

SCRUBS,

Welcome to the forum. Great to see another individual joining us. You are correct, the Partition works, which likely accounts for why it is so popular with knowledgeable hunters throughout the world.

I know some guys use that one on elk with complete success.

I never get tired of seeing that photo - the grin is terrific! 6mmRemington - did you guys recover the bullet or did it penetrate all the way through?

Several years ago when I got my .25-06 and was talking about it as a mule deer & coyote rifle, I was amazed at the number of guys who told me about taking elk and bear with their .25-06 rifles. The Nosler Partition & Speer Grand Slam featured heavily in those stories. After a half-dozen mulies, I have no doubt whatsoever about it's ability to take elk, using a good bullet, placed well. Noslers are good bullets.

Regards, Guy

Thanks Guy. We never did recover the bullet. Andy hit her in the spot seen on the photo on her left side. She was quartered away and the bullet went out tight behind her right shoulder. By all appearances the bullet looked like it performed like the perfect Partition. :grin: I shot a spike bull with that same bullet in my wife's rifle a few years before and I never recovered that one either. He was a little over 300 yards I would guess.

Andy's elk ran about 40 yards and dropped. The spike bull I shot made it about 30 feet and dropped.

The 115 grain Partition in .25-06...it's just one of those combos that's meant to be. It rivals peanut butter and jelly in my book :) It's the only bullet I load in my .25-06 these days. I'd trade it for nothing.

Fired a half dozen of these 115 Partitions from prone yesterday, sub MOA again. I think we're going hunting together again this fall, me and the Partitions.

Guy Miner":30bdxe7s said:
Fired a half dozen of these 115 Partitions from prone yesterday, sub MOA again. I think we're going hunting together again this fall, me and the Partitions.

It just seems like the classic western load if I didn't like my 260 so much a 25-06 would be high on the list to get. Good luck on your hunts and hopefully you can post some pictures for us this fall :)

Nice shooting Guy. I have a couple hundred of the 115gr PT's on my stock shelf for a 25-06 or something like that! I thought the 115gr PT would be just about the most perfect bullet made for the 25-06 and I think it would work just fine for bigger animals too, if it was a pinch. Gotta start working on that 25 cal void again.... Might need to deploy again to catch up! Scotty

Sounds as if you've found the ideal load for that rifle, Guy. There is no doubt that the bullet will do its work, and you have the rest of the equation in order.

beretzs":2idh9pcr said:
Might need to deploy again to catch up! Scotty

This, gentlemen, is a sure sign of a disease. The willingness to venture out to unfriendly and, what should be, unhabitable lands in order to support this disease is unsettling.

:lol:

I'm covering for a bud who volunteered to deploy to cover the cost of a new boat. His wife thinks I voluntold him to deploy. I see many free fishing trips in my future...

Back