35 Caliber Accubonds

teach34

Beginner
Sep 29, 2004
Nosler,
Do you think you might have these available before this falls hunting season? Sure would like to try them in my 358 STA.

Nosler had said several monthe back that the 225 gr AB would be available this fall.
Should be a great bullet, just hope its available in time for this hunting season.

JD338

I knew the bullet was suppose to come out this fall, I was just hoping maybe nosler had a more definate timeline. Well nosler, do you?

I hope they are short enough for my 358. The BT's were not. :?

I think that the 225 AccuBond is a dumb move. I would have brought out a 200 gr AccuBond. The three most popular 35 calibers by a long shot are the 35 whelen, 358 win, and the 350 rem mag. Two of those calibers have length issues and cannot shoot the 225 balistic tip which the AccuBond will be identical to on the exterior. Also the 225 Partition has a higher balistic coefficient than the 225 balistic tip, so what is the point of the bullet? A 200 grain probably would not have had length issues, and would be an effective bullet in the three calibers filling a niche. There are very few 200 grain bullets in 35 caliber and the ones that are available have poor ballistic coefficients that the AccuBond 'should' beat. I feel a good performing 200 gr bullet is sufficient for most game and if it had a better balistic coefficient than most it could really improve the open country performance of the three most popular 35 calibers. These calibers are slow so a good bullet in a lighter weight could compensate for some of that handicap. Also a 200 gr 35 caliber has almost the identical sectional density as a 150 gr 30 caliber.

Also I would buy some .358 200 grain accubonds if they were available.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but the 225 is the only weight that makes sense. It would be useable in the larger 35's as well, and that means that it might stand a chance of being produced for awhile. The 358 Norma, 358 STA, and the 350 Ackley [and others like them] all are better suited for the heavier bullet. The 35's as a group are not the most popular chamberings around, so marketing a bullet that can be used by most of the common ones is the best approach. Nosler has obviously done some homework on this and I can't wait to try them in my Whelen. And although there is a higher listed BC for the Partition, my shooting bears out that the 225 Ballistic tip indeed has the higher BC. Shoots flatter and arrives at yardage with more oomph. Regards, Eagleye.

The 225 AccuBond may be usable on the very unpopular bigger 35 calibers but it is not usable in two out of the three most popular 35 calibers and these three are actually factory chamberings. The 225 is by far better for the bigger 35 calibers but there are very few bigger 35 calibers out there, and no factory chamberings. Why not make something more people will use?

Also if the 225 ballistic tip actually shoots flatter, meaning it has a higher balistic coefficient, than the 225 Partition, then maybe all of the ballistic coefficients are a lie or innaccurate. Common sense says if you look at the two bullets the balistc tip looks more aerodynamic, but nosler does not list it as being so.

I just hope it will be designed so it can be used in the shorts...which probably will not. Oh well 225 Partitions then!

Eagleye":1hm369p5 said:
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but the 225 is the only weight that makes sense. It would be useable in the larger 35's as well, and that means that it might stand a chance of being produced for awhile.
I don't want to rain on your parade either, but I have to totally disagree with you regarding the weight issue.

The .358 Winchester and .350 Remington start suffering as bullets get longer with increased weight and start to intrude further into the cartridge body. There is also the issue that a lot of rifles in these cartridges are built on fairly light rifles, and if a 180 or 200 grain bullet will do everything you need, just why use heavier bullets and incur more recoil?

I will agree with you insofar as most people using .358's seem to think the caliber requires either a 225 or 250 grain bullet. I am at a loss why this is, unless big bears and/or elk and moose at long-ish ranges are on the menu. I have only used the Barnes X in the 180 grain weights, but it knocks down deer and elk with real authority. Nevertheless, if hunters are prejudiced towards the 225 grain offerings, then it does make sense to make what sells the most.

However, I won't be buying any 225 grain accubonds from Nosler or 225 grainers from anybody else. For me, it is neither fish nor fowl. The .358 Winchester and .35 Whelen get the 180 grain treatment (and 200 grainers once those run out); the .358 Norma and .35 Newton get 250 grainers.

The last I heard (about 2 montha ago), the 35 cal 225 gr AB was pushed out until Spring '07. I am a 35 Whelen fan so the 225 gr and 250 gr bullets are my choice. The 225 gr AB will become the bullet of choice. :grin:
If there is enough demand, maybe Nosler will also introduce a 200 gr AB offering for the 350 RM, 358 Win, 35 Rem (used in lever guns as a 2 shot only, or the T/C Contender handgun).
This is the place to start your request!

JD338

Personally I have been waiting for the 225 AB for my 35 Whelen AI... I like the 225 BT as it is what i shoot now for deer size game and actually get very respectable velocities... Some of us do load the Whelen in a bolt action where length is not as great a concern, such is the case with my 700... I need a long bullet to get to the rifling and fill up the throat... the Partition is just a bit too short... As are the Speer and Hornady offerings...

Some good points have been made already.

The only .35's I have are 358 Wins and for deer and black bear I load the 180 gr Speer. As previously stated I don't think that a 225 BT or AB is going to fit in the 358 Win.

However the 358 does just fine with cup and cores anyway so although I like plastic tip meplats a lot I don't see botherering with them. I doubt the BC for the 225 PT is correct.

So what should Nosler do? I say skip over the .35 bore for now. If I hunt bigger game with the 358 I will use the 225 PT's that I already have or just carry the 375 HH.

Back