.224 64 gr BSB

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
.224 cal 64 gr Bonded Solid Base
MV 3372 fps shot into water jugs at 30 yds, recovered in the 5th jug.
The recovered weight was 50.2 grs (72%) and expanded to .481".
IMG_06691.jpg

JD338

I hate to say it, but 5 jugs at 30 yards is about all my 264/7mm's can do at 30 yards with 140 and 160gr bullets. That thing looks awesome. What load Jim.. Now I am a little mad I didn't any of them for the 22-250!

Were they accurate in your rifle?

That's a tough little bugger hopefully they will make them available for the rest of us.

SJB358":37vefnzj said:
I hate to say it, but 5 jugs at 30 yards is about all my 264/7mm's can do at 30 yards with 140 and 160gr bullets. That thing looks awesome. What load Jim.. Now I am a little mad I didn't any of them for the 22-250!

Scotty

My load was 34.0 grs Varget, W-W case and Win LR primers.
Accuracy was well under an inch, 2 in 1 hole 1 out. I will play with the seating depth.

I would recommend you get some when they are available again.

JD338

JD338":1r2kzdpb said:
SJB358":1r2kzdpb said:

Scotty

My load was 34.0 grs Varget, W-W case and Win LR primers.
Accuracy was well under an inch, 2 in 1 hole 1 out. I will play with the seating depth.

I would recommend you get some when they are available again.

JD338

Without a doubt. I will have to give them a whirl now!

Thank you for the information, it looks like I will have to try these out on some blacktail with my daughter this fall.

I am thinking I will give it a try on a crop damage deer this summer.

JD338

JD338":17n2ut46 said:
I am thinking I will give it a try on a crop damage deer this summer.

JD338

That would be a sweet test for the 22-250 and them bullets Jim. I don't think you'll have much trouble with em..

Kinda breathed a little life back into the 22-250 huh? I might need to give them a shot...

I know faster is better but does anyone know if a 1:14 twist 22-250 MIGHT shoot these or is it a no go?

Ron

Jim that is amazing! That will kill deer for sure and with authority! I can't wait for you to try it out. Might have to shoulder shoot one to get it to stay in a deer though!

6mm Remington":p85fsvta said:
Jim that is amazing! That will kill deer for sure and with authority! I can't wait for you to try it out. Might have to shoulder shoot one to get it to stay in a deer though!

David,

That is my plan. :wink:

JD338

tjen":vm3d15gc said:
Think a 1:12 twist would stabilize them in a 223rem?

It would be interesting to know what Nosler recommends for a mininum twist.
My ballistic program,,,which generally is a bit conservative it seems to most, figures it to need a 1-10.3" min. twist. But then I was guessing at some of the inputs, not having a bullet here to measure. Then again it sounds like JD was/is getting good accuracy in his 14" (I believe) twist.
I know many a .22 CF's have brought down deer and tougher game, just not my first choice however. It would make for a darn good bullet for Wolves imo, now that they have season on them here.

JD,,,what is the nose length and meplat dia.? I might get more accurate results in the program.

Coyote with the .224 cal 64 gr BSB from a 22-250 at 50 yds.
Exit wound.
IMG_07951.jpg

JD338

Nice! Great shooting Jim! That is impressive right there.. Give us some details buddy!

5 jugs is indeed impressive! The few I have shot, have shot well. I plan on getting more when available.

My wife busted a doe with one of these last weekend out of her 22-250. Shot was about 340 yard. I first ranged them at 300, but they got up and milled around a bit. the shot ended up a bit slower than I would have liked, but it still plowed right on through the heart and clipped the offside shoulder. Made a nice exit wound. I'm very impressed with this little bullet. I'll get a few pics up of the ones I recovered from the dirt at the range. The ones from 300 yards weighed 50, and 53 gr, while the one from 400 yards weighed 59 gr!
2012-10-20_16-36-08_200.jpg

2012-10-20_16-35-25_424.jpg

I'll get a few done in some chem jugs at those ranges just to see how they compare to all my other tests.

Great performance in the jugs. That bullet is very blunt so I think the b.c. would be low. These bullet tests are really great and I love reading the tests on here.

Back