Marlin 1895 GBL

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
I looked into getting a 1895 GBL 45-70 last year and the guy I deal with called last night and told me his distributor has a few in stock and wanted to know if I was still interested in getting one?

After reading all the bad reviews online about Marlins quality control and all the headaches people have had with the newer models I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on something that's going to spend more time at the factory being repaired than at the range or in the field hunting!

I'm just glad I got my 444P back in 03 before all the current problems started happening!

The primary problems with the newer Marlins appear to be easily fixed. Those sold here frequently require being torn down, the parts dressed and the rifle reassembled. Commonly, the cartridges do not feed or do not feed smoothly. It is not that the rifles will not shoot, they will. If you have someone who is familiar with the rifle and is willing to address these problems, they can still be a fine rifle.

I would say if you can get one at a good price, get it. As Mike said, its easy to slick up the action. In doing so, you will learn a great deal on the mechanics of the 1895.
The 45-70 is a hammer round and the accuracy obtained rivals a good bolt action.

JD338

Ever since they became Marlingtons or Remlins they have been plagued with issues.
I would not own one. You're going to spend 600 on a GBL why should you have to spend another 100-150 to slick it up?

FOTIS":10c7x4m4 said:
Ever since they became Marlingtons or Remlins they have been plagued with issues.
I would not own one. You're going to spend 600 on a GBL why should you have to spend another 100-150 to slick it up?

And that doesn't count the extra $200 + for a new scope and rings. We have a good gunsmith a couple towns over, I'm going to call him this weekend and get his tale on it and go from there. I have a couple of bills to payoff before I would get one.

Lots of Marlins on the used market. At least enough to keep me away from the new ones for awhile.

SJB358":fcn1o4jc said:
Lots of Marlins on the used market. At least enough to keep me away from the new ones for awhile.

Excellent advise Scotty on both points. Also there are other well made 45/70 s being made that are better than the new marlin. Scotty can steer you to them if you dont already know who they are.

If I did not have a 45 cal rifle that SS would be in my safe! What a prize at that price!

Thanks guys! I never even thought about gunbroker.com. As soon as I get caught up on a couple bills I think that's what I'm asking Santa to get me :).

When looking at serial numbers How can you tell the difference between a real Marlin and a Remlin model?

remlins have an MR serial # and they are stamped on left side of receiver.

Marlins are stamped on the tang and #'s do not start with MR

here is a remlin

MR40795B2.JPG

True marlin

pix083212333.jpg

What are the one like I have, with a serial# on the reciever without the "RM"?
This one also has a JM on the leftside of the barrel just in front of the receiver.

I thought I had heard they still came out of the Marlin facility?

A buddy has a Marlin 45/70 with a 18.5" barrel and a Nikon ProStaff scope with the BDC reticle. After running several rounds of Hornady LeverEvolution through a chronograph, we got some consistent velocities (around 1700fps) and decided to try some long-range stuff. Plugging the muzzle velocity, 325gn bullet weight and BC into Nikon's Spot-On program, he came up with a holdover spot on the reticle. On the FIRST shot from 300yds he hit a gallon jug filled with water. It was the most amazing shot I've seen vs a target. By the way, I'll state for the record that the frontal area of a gallon jug is smaller than the area of a heart-lung pump station of deer. While I would not recommend the 45/70 for deer on the long distance shots needed for plains game, it is certainly capable of great accuracy.

The 45-70 is REALLY amazing when you can dial it. Those big bullets might not get there really fast, but it seems about a billion buffalo can attest to the effectiveness of it!

Back