.224 64 gr BSB

2012-10-21_12-50-52_487.jpg

Did some bullet testing today. The little 64 gr BSB did just as well as my 270 Weatherby with a 140 AB @ 3250, and a friends 270 win with a 130 PT @ 2950. The recovered 64 gr BSB broke the plastic in the back of the second jug, and dented the face of the third. It weighed in at 59gr!

I had lined up some 2.5 gal chem jugs. I lined them up in a fasion so that I was shooting at the narrow edge of the jugs. My thinking was I would get more water travel per jug that way. I do think that I need to switch to a thinner jug though. Every bullet I have shot into the chem jugs has been found stuck in the plastic on the far side of the jug. Generally the second one. Only my 280 AI with a 160 AB, and my 375R with a 260 AB have ever made it into the third jug.

Here it is compared to the 130 PT (middle) and the 140 AB (83 gr. Left)
2012-10-21_12-52-10_261.jpg

That is one serious penetrating bullet.
I have no doubt it would go through both shoulders of a WT and exit.

JD338

JD338":2mvpkkib said:

JD338

I'll bet on that all day long.

It definitely penetrates. Give it sufficient velocity and it will kill very effectively.

JD338":2l7oq9hn said:

JD338

Agree. I don't know exactly what the heck I'm going to do with them since the .223 isn't a legal big game cartridge here in Washington, but I do like the bullet and bought some from SPS when they were on sale.

I've dispatched enough injured mule deer over the years with a .223/AR-15 that I know the cartridge is quite capable of killing deer cleanly.

Neat little bullet that Nosler has here. I like it.

Guy

This bullet was designed for a government agency to go through windshields and door panels to take out a bad guy.

JD338

Yup. I selected the 55 gr bonded core bullet/Law Enforcement ammo for our agency. Same theory, but a lighter bullet.

Why lighter? Because I can get 55 gr FMJ training ammo that has the same point-of-impact, relatively inexpensively. No problems getting it so far either. I ordered well in advance. If I find a good price on thousands of 62 - 64 gr FMJ training ammo, I'd consider making the Nosler 64 gr bonded ammo our "duty" .223 ammo. Absolutely.

Regards, Guy

Here is a picture of the 64 grain bonded solid base recovered at a modest 2750 fps.

Using my favorite test medium. Two nylon plastic 5 gallon Home Depot buckets filled w water and a plastic lid. This closely duplicates both retained weight and frontal area of bullets fired into cape buffalo. (The Nylon is tough and will rip wings off a 458 Barnes X). Also closely duplicates 10 percent IWBA gelatin shots with both pistol and supersonic rifle bullets for penetration.

Retained weight of the 64 grain was 61.6 grains and uniform .441 caliber.

Cut in two.

Plastic disc is from entrance to second bucket.

22 inches penetration total an inch or so more than a 62 grain Barnes X at 2890 fps.

Spliting the front of bucket is rare in the 223. Conventional cup and draw bullets normally require heavy 25-06 or .270 Win class ctg to do so. This indicates good dwell time of over pressure which is created by large frontal area/

My take on 64 grain is that it is worth the effort to find AR15 friendly load for. Wish Nosler had done so for many Black gun users!

Man, that's incredible performance and that bullet has some great frontal area. Can't help but notice it looks like the old Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. They were some hearty bullets as well. Great show.

Great report Andrew, I do wish Nosler expands the BSB line to include other calibers they look like an outstanding design.

That bullet is what I may believe the best designed for wolf out of a 22-250 that can be had. IMHO

Nice work Andrew.
Yes, the 64 gr BSB is one tough bullet. It will turn a 223 Rem, 22-250 or 220 Swift into a deer killing machine.

JD338

I loaded some of these up in my .222 today. These were loaded from 2600-2840. I shot them into milk jugs and they both got 4 jugs. The one at 2600 was found in the four jug and the one at 2840 was found laying on my table between the 4th and 5th jug. Apparently it had enough power left to dent the 5th jug but not completely penetrate it. Expansion wasn't a symmetrical mushroom however both bullets expanded to .4 to .45.

mrandrew":20wi2t6v said:
I loaded some of these up in my .222 today. These were loaded from 2600-2840. I shot them into milk jugs and they both got 4 jugs. The one at 2600 was found in the four jug and the one at 2840 was found laying on my table between the 4th and 5th jug. Apparently it had enough power left to dent the 5th jug but not completely penetrate it. Expansion wasn't a symmetrical mushroom however both bullets expanded to .4 to .45.

Great info. Pretty interested in trying that bullet in my 222 Rem as well. 4 jugs is really good penetration.

at this point my concern is that the bullets that I fired out of the 222 weren't mushroomed evenly. It looks like they almost hit the jug sideways like they weren't completely stabilized. Tomorrow I think that I will shoot the ones that I made up and see exactly whats going on.

From Andrew

I will let him give the details

Attachments

• IMG_20140928_194246.jpg
    IMG_20140928_194246.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 4,713
Keep me in the loop. Pretty interested in how it works.

How long is the 64BSB compared to a 50 or 55 BT?

Those bullets look pretty good to me. Looks like the 222 Rem has the ability to push them about 3000 too. That might help give them a little more evenness as well.

SJB358":x4fyu91c said:
Those bullets look pretty good to me. Looks like the 222 Rem has the ability to push them about 3000 too. That might help give them a little more evenness as well.

I need to work with them a bit more. My 24 inch 700 doesn't really like to run them at 3000 fps. At around 3000 fps I was running into slightly cratered primers. 2915 seemed to be about all I could get with 748.

Back