.224 64gr. HSM ammo

Very cool..what barrel length are you using? Any chance that you could back off 150 yards and shoot a bunch of jugs so that I could see what my .222 would do with that bullet? :grin:

i'm wondering whats going to be a better deer bullet this 64 grainer or the barnes tsx in 45 -53 grains.

mrandrew":mqysiky5 said:
i'm wondering whats going to be a better deer bullet this 64 grainer or the barnes tsx in 45 -53 grains.

That 64 grain looks pretty tough, if I were going to try blasting deer with any bullet, that would be on my list.. But then again, that 60 PT is TOUGH too...

Yeah I already tried the Partition but my 1-14 twist didn't like it. The weird thing is that my dads 788 222 1/14 twist did shoot that bullet to just over an inch.

mrandrew":1kr8y5yo said:
How sure are you that you are getting 3100 fps out of the test ammo? Those bullets don't really look like they expanded much less than the 22 250 test! Can't wait to get my grimmy hands on some of these for the .222. Are they going to be available in packs of 50 or 100?

Guy Miner":1kr8y5yo said:
"How sure are you that you are getting 3100 fps out of the test ammo?"

Many of us here have Chronographs and check the velocity of the loads & ammo we're testing. Hope that helps!

Guy

My BAD on the SWAG guys. The little Ruger has an 18.5" barrel and it was 33 degrees F today when I went out to test the fps. I was WAY OFF. :oops: :oops:

So here are the results at least of the fps info and a quick 5 shot group.

Just used the shooting bag on the front and held it with my left hand underneath the rear for support.

Average was taken from 13 shots. 2673 fps - sounds a bit more reasonable- sorry.

I shot the steel at 300 yards with the open sights on this rifle. Was ringing steel pretty consistently. I shot oxy/gas tubes they have hanging which I guess are about 6-8" in diameter and a couple hanging circle plates of steel roughly 10-12" in diameter.

I did shoot a 5 shot group at a small black target at 100 yards. I just plunked them down range one after the other. Not taking any special amount of time or anything just pop, pop, pop. It always amazes me how well this particular Mini-14 shoots. Bangs around in a gun rack 24-7 in a vehicle and even with the pretty thick front site it doesn't do too badly. :)

mrandrew":z7w9i4ke said:
Very cool..what barrel length are you using? Any chance that you could back off 150 yards and shoot a bunch of jugs so that I could see what my .222 would do with that bullet? :grin:

My guess is the .222 should produce roughly the same velocity as the .223, so it should perform about the same. Maybe I should not guess or estimate as I didn't do very well last time! :mrgreen:

David,

Both the Mini 14 and the shooter do pretty good with open sights!

JD338

Back