IMR 8208 XBR

wvchevy3

Handloader
Dec 4, 2005
After not being able to find my favorite powder for the .223 Remington (Ramshot Tac) I decided to try a new powder. IMR 8208 XBR it has a similar burn rate to tac and after several shooting sessions i can tell you its as every bit as accurate if not better than my beloved Tac. I can not give velocity since my chrono decided to stop working but seems to pack the mail.I have tried it with 50 gr. and 55 gr BTips and have been getting 3-shot average groups at 100yds of.500 or better ! best being .194. It seems to be very clean burning and meters very well.Best of all around here its plentiful. Here is hodgons description

There’s no Target too small for IMR 8208 XBR

IMR’s 8208 XBR is a rifle powder based on an old favorite among the benchrest community, real sticklers for accuracy, with a distinct difference. There is virtually no change in velocity with modest or extreme change in temperatures. The ballistics group at IMR has tested this powder from -40 to +165 degrees Fahrenheit with virtually no performance variation.

In the field Mr. Jim Carmichael tested the new powder in a practical way; he won the 2009 Heavy Varmint Aggregate at the International Benchrest Shooters National Championship.

Pleasant weather, cold or hot IMR 8208 fills the bill with championship performance in many cartridges from .223 Remington to .458 Winchester. Whatever you are aiming at it’s no match for new IMR 8208 XBR. The legend is back

Lee

Works good in the 35 Whelen too with 200 gr bullets so far, seems like a versatile powder. Sometmes being forced to try a new powder because of a shortage can be a blessing in disguise. It does sound like you hit paydirt with your new load, that must be satisfying.

Benchmark always has been a good powder for my .223 but liked Tac better, Until now. Time will tell but so far i am really like this powder.Lee

I have told people for a while about this powder in a 5.56

Works like a champ and it meters fair too. If you really get to know your powder thrower you can get it to throw perfect all the time.

No argument here. 8208 produced what is still the best group of my life out of one of my .223s, and the same load shoots almost as well out of the other one. Just as you mentioned, crisp metering, burns cleanly, and at ~25 grains per round, a pound goes quite a way!

It is close on the charts to H4895 which is my go to powder in my 223, which is also very hard to find so I may have to give it a try and see what it will do.

Back