Reloader 33 with 200 AB 300 RUM Test

G

Today I field tested Reloader 33 in the 300 RUM. This trip was to velocity spot check single rounds at different charge levels and with two different primers.

Details:
Chronograph @ 14ft
Remington 700 gun, 26" barrel, ported
85.0-degrees
200 AB
Remington 1x fired/re-sized brass
Federal 215 Primer
Bullet seated to fit magazine length

93.0 2954
95.0 Chrony didn't read
97.0 Problem with case didn't shoot round
99.0 3108
101.0 3168 Wiped head case slightly

200 AB
Remington new cases
Remington 9.5 Mag primer
Bullet seated the same

93.0 2895
95.0 did not shoot
97.0 3077
99.0 3066
101.0 3193

Note: I tested my proven 200 AB load last year with Reloader 25 in 83.0-degree temps and got 3111 fps average in three shots.

Did my best to keep aligned with chrony but believe the difference in velocity was not being aligned as needed.

I'm going to load up the next batch with three each of 99.0, 100.0 & 101.0 using re-sized brass and Remington 9.5 primers to check velocity levels and pressure. Reloader 33 does have some promise to dig deeper with testing.

Until then,
Don

Don, looks like RL-33 has potential in the 300 RUM. Keep at it! I will be testing RL-33 in my 300 RUM as soon as I can get my hands on some.

That is slinging them out there at a pretty good clip. What sort of SD did you see?

Dr Mike,
These were only single shots at each load level to see what would happen. The next trip out will be to check the SD & ES with 3-5 rounds per charge level. So far I like what I see with this powder. The only one I had a slight extraction issue with was the 101.0 with re-sized case and 215 primer.
All the others, new and re-sized, extracted very smooth with no pressure signs.

I'm going to give the Rem Primer a try at the 101.0 level to see it eliminates the pressure. I will work the loads to see what I can come up with and report later.

Don

WC
I think we have a good powder here for the 300 RUM but the Jury is still out too. Have to work the loads some more and check the groups on paper to see.

Don

Your plan to test with a primer that is noted for less brisance is sound, Don. I like the plan. It all looks good.

I know the rem 9.5 primer is known to have less "pop" than others but I have had increased speeds and no pressure signs by switching to them? Oldtrader3 said it best on one of my previous posts about 300 rum with rl25 and rem9.5 primers. They are a dark art and stil not a lot of info on them.

Sas874runner
I figure if the Remington Primer proves to be good I will put the loads in the freezer and check them to ensure ignition, check velocity drop off and groupings on paper. I would have to put it through extremes. Today was one of those extremes for me shooting in 85-degree temps.

It could prove also that the Rem Primer will not make a difference, only more Range Time will tell.

Don

Dr Mike,
Thanks for the input. As I was reviewing my results today that's what made sense to me.

Don

I may have time tomorrow to shoot. If I do I will be keeping my ammunition in a cooler full of ice. ( in an air tight container of course.) But just to put it to extremes. It is supposed to be 90 here tomorrow.

Sas874runner,
I would think you out west boys will benefit from living at altitude and thinner air by getting an edge on velocity compared to my location near sea level.

Don

Fotis,
I was waiting for you to jump in here. From what I experienced yesterday I would anticipate RL-33 to be a good powder for your guns especially the 264 Win Mag.

If my idea proves to work out with the Rem 9.5 Mag Primer then I'm going to give that a try with RL-25 also.

Considering primers, I believe Rem Primers are on the low end of the scale, Remington does use their primer in 300 RUM Factory Ammo but I'm not sure what powder they are loading in them.

Given the long powder column with 100.0-101.0 grains to ignite this testing will be interesting.

I'll post the results later as time permits.

Don

Quite possible. Here in town we are at 6200 ft. Depnding on where I decide to shoot I may go up 1000-1500 or down about 500. But when it comes to hunting a lot of times we are 10000 + a few times we have talken elk around 11500.

Sas874,
I know, I lived in Loveland for 10-yrs. Good luck with load development. Keep us posted on your results.

Don

Back