Brass...Norma vs Lapua

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
I'm tired of messing with crappy Winchester brass...the last batch I bought was too short, almost too short even in the headspace measurement...I still used it, after considerable effort to get it into shape...don't wanna do that any more.

I know Nosler makes brass, probably good brass...but I'm leaning towards Lapua or maybe Norma.

You guys seem to be the most honest crew I know of so I'm asking...

Is there any significant difference between Lapua and Norma brass...specifically 30-06 brass.

Price is not a primary concern...I just want the best brass.

Either is top notch stuff, some guys think Lapua is better but I have been happy with both brands. I'm starting to come to the same conclusion as you, R-P and W-W brass can be inconsistant and a guy can waste a lot of powder and bullets trying to find a good load.

I use some Norma brass . it is way more consistent than rem or win brass . it also has a machined flash hole . there is no prep work to Norma brass , I like it . I just ordered my first batch of Lapua brass last night . from what I've read it supposedly will take a little higher pressure than Norma , before the primer pocket loosens .

I have used Lapua, Norma, Nosler, and Hornady brass for 30-06. Here's my opinion of each:

Lapua: probably the "toughest", has roughly 1 less grain water capacity than any other brand, meaning it's the thickest. Neck thickness variation from the 3 batches I have purchased have been okay...but not great. I think Lapua's 6mm BR brass is the gold standard for thickness and consistency, but the Lapua 30-06 brass I have used has not been as consistent in neck wall thickness (and hence, body thickness) as I would have expected. Longevity is excellent--better figure out how to anneal with Lapua brass.

Norma: best consistency from a neck thickness standpoint. Has about 1 gr water capacity more than Lapua. I haven't used it long enough to report on longevity.

Nosler: between Lapua and Norma for consistency. About the same case capacity as Norma. Probably made by Norma, but my handloads shoot better with Nosler brass for some reason that I still haven't figured out. Big downside--only sold in boxes of 50 instead of 100 or larger.

In short, they're all great brass, but none of them are perfect. I now lean to Nosler brass over the other two, because it's a smidge cheaper and I get what I feel is as good a product.

I preferentially use Norma or Lapua brass. Norma has a better case selection (I just bought several hundred pieces of 35 Whelen and 7X57 Mauser) than Lapua. However, either makes me smile when working up a load. I get good life out of Norma brass, but I don't push my loads to the pressure limits--I'm looking for accuracy rather than velocity.

I think in the 30-06, if you are spending the money, Norma or Lapua will serve you about the same. All of the Norma and Nosler brass I have used has been excellent. Lapua is just about the toughest stuff out there.

Be interesting to see what you think after your first run. Good brass seems to save me money as I have less culls, less powder burned finding a load and I have much less doubt about it being the reason for a flyer...

I've been using Norma Brass for my .300WSM and it's been holding up beautifully. I've annealed my cases once and have probably 10 firings through each. Accuracy seems better than using the other brands.

Thanks for the replies guys...

I'm still undecided, thinking about getting some of both...but that don't really seem like a good idea either.

I'll research it some more this weekend before I make a decision.

On 2nd thought...I'm gonna get Lapua...with a reputation like theirs, it can't be a mistake. I should get several reloads out of it...some folks claim 8-10, but if I get 5 that brings the price down to about 22 cents per case...if I get 10 its 11 cents...sounds better when you figure it like that, LOL.

I will post my thoughts on the 14k gold plated brass after I've had a chance to see what its all about.

Gonna order at least 200, maybe 300...would like to get 1,000 but thats getting pricey for this time of year (my job is somewhat seasonal)

Brass is ordered...now if I just had powder to fill it, LOL.

I think I have about a pound of H4350 still...looks like I better make it last.

Ridgerunner665":3itoc975 said:
Brass is ordered...now if I just had powder to fill it, LOL.

I think I have about a pound of H4350 still...looks like I better make it last.

Ha, good luck with that! I am getting low on RL19 and scrambling to get more.

I had my wife weigh my H4350 today and see how much I have...

One jug (the jug for her 270) weighed 10 oz., jug and all....my jug weighed 11 oz.

I'm guessing the jugs weigh about 2 oz....thats enough to hunt with provided I don't have trouble re-working my loads in the Lapua brass...I'm not gonna have time between now and hunting season to do a full load development...I'll have to take the shortcut and load the Lapua brass to the same velocity (2,850 fps) as my previous load and hope it shoots at least good enough to hunt with...don't take that to mean I'm not gonna test the load for accuracy, thats not what it means...it just means I'm taking the easy route...load one at 56 grains, chrono it, 56.5 chrono, 57 chrono, etc....when I find ~2,850 fps...load 5 and see how the group looks.

Thats the best way I can figure to do this until I get the time and powder to do it right....I am gonna find THE most accurate load for this rifle/powder/bullet/brass combo...just don't have the time or components to do it right now.

RR655, in a 30-06, when I switched from Lapua to Nosler brass I noticed a slowdown of about 15-20 fps. My previous "best" load with Lapua brass was my best with Nosler brass also. The powder in my case was Ramshot Hunter.

Let us know how the switch goes for you, if you think of it. I haven't committed to not going back to Lapua brass...

joelkdouglas":3obvwbdg said:
RR655, in a 30-06, when I switched from Lapua to Nosler brass I noticed a slowdown of about 15-20 fps. My previous "best" load with Lapua brass was my best with Nosler brass also. The powder in my case was Ramshot Hunter.

Let us know how the switch goes for you, if you think of it. I haven't committed to not going back to Lapua brass...

That makes sense...the Nosler brass has more capacity and as a result less pressure for a given load.

The Lapua brass should show a slight increase in velocity over the Winchester brass I've been using.

I will, for sure, relay my findings right here...

Lucked up and found some H4350 in stock, after an exhaustive online search...ordered 4 lbs.

Wanted 8 lbs. but those were not in stock, decided to take what I could get and be happy!

Glad to have it, still working on the being happy part...the 8 pounder would only have been about $50 more :!:

Ridgerunner665":1djcjm9g said:
Lucked up and found some H4350 in stock, after an exhaustive online search...ordered 4 lbs.

Wanted 8 lbs. but those were not in stock, decided to take what I could get and be happy!

Glad to have it, still working on the being happy part...the 8 pounder would only have been about $50 more :!:

In todays market, taking what you can get is a smart move....

I've used just about every brass known to man kind, the Norma and Nosler brass are about on equal terms although I do like the Nosler brass better then the Norma stuff, at least the batches I have on hand that I bought years ago.

I have been using the Lapua stuff with great success and will agree the primer pockets are butt pucker tough.... lol. But honestly, I've had the primer pickets get lose on my Jarrett brass after two-three firings, which is made by Norma. Mind you these are really Hot Loads but Kenny's guns tend to really shoot well that way.

You wont be unhappy with your purchase.

Back