26 Nosler ?

Rigbymauser":3rgc8k5v said:
26 Nosler

.270weatherby with 150 grain ABLR

The 26 nosler do have the edge out to 500 yards..but is it "edge" enough?. The .270Wea still shine. I would say the 26Nosler really have pushed it self into into the .270cal territory if compared to the .270Wea loaded up with a 135Grain Sierra MK. The 150Grain ABLR is the savior for the .270Weatherby along with the heavy 180grain Woodleigh. These bullets do put the .270Wea further up the ladder in the biggame hunting dept. I am still a declared .270Wea man.. :mrgreen:

The .270Weatherby loaded with a 135grain Sierra MK

How about comparing the 6.5x68. You might be surprised how it comes out.

I'd like to see what diameter bolt face a guy needs for this beast. I'm assuming a mag but it would be nice to know what a guy needs for components. As the idea is floating!

nvbroncrider":mt2dj1jl said:
I'd like to see what diameter bolt face a guy needs for this beast. I'm assuming a mag but it would be nice to know what a guy needs for components. As the idea is floating!

Been thinking the same thing, you would think it would be the standard .532" mag but we won't know till the official unveiling in January I guess. If they are happy to keep it as a proprietary round then an odd ball size is fine, if they hope it goes mainstream then the standard mag diameter is a must. I am seriously going to consider re chambering my 264 WM and then running that till the tube burns out.

truck driver":a2hkuldi said:
I'd just wait to see what Nosler has planned you might want a M48.

True, the only left hand version they currently have though costs $3500 here and that would be too much for us to spend for the next few years until the house is paid for. If they could make a LH TGR or better yet a somewhat more inexpensive gun then we could consider that.

gerry":2ke5d8a1 said:
nvbroncrider":2ke5d8a1 said:

Been thinking the same thing, you would think it would be the standard .532" mag but we won't know till the official unveiling in January I guess. If they are happy to keep it as a proprietary round then an odd ball size is fine, if they hope it goes mainstream then the standard mag diameter is a must. I am seriously going to consider re chambering my 264 WM and then running that till the tube burns out.

I don't know a lightweight on a SS M70 Classic 26" barrel dropped in a B&C topped with a Z3 3-10 with a #4. Kinda sounds like the ultimated Mtn rifle!

That does sound like a really nice combo, I would want a Mcmillan Edge myself in a Rem 700 with maybe #3 contour, but yours would be pretty sweet too.

nvbroncrider":fvzmn554 said:
I don't know a lightweight on a SS M70 Classic 26" barrel dropped in a B&C topped with a Z3 3-10 with a #4. Kinda sounds like the ultimated Mtn rifle!

You aren't kidding. That would be serious medicine with 140 ABs or PTs. Even better would be a 150 PT or regular AB.

Surely the next leap in firearms technology has to be in barrel steels. Either that or a cheaper method needs to be found to swap out burned out barrels for less than what it costs now.

Because some of these new chamberings are gonna wear barrels out very very quickly aren't they?

A properly taken care of 264 WM made of modern steels can last over 2000 rounds, the 26 Nosler should last at least 1000-1500 maybe more. A normal hunter should be able to go many years with such a gun, an avid shooter should expect one day to be springing for a new tube.

bobnob":2q4ah9vf said:
Surely the next leap in firearms technology has to be in barrel steels. Either that or a cheaper method needs to be found to swap out burned out barrels for less than what it costs now.

Because some of these new chamberings are gonna wear barrels out very very quickly aren't they?

A 1500 round tube life should be sufficient to carry an average hunter through most of a hunting career. Out of a high powered rifle most hunters I know will shoot a couple of boxes or so a year in practice and sighting and a few at game….call it an arbitrary 50 annually…that's 30 years worth. Good cleaning and shooting practices may extend life even further than that.

Of the die hard big game hunters I know- only a couple have actually burned out a barrel. The serious target and varmint shooters I know have all burned out a barrel a three.

Serious long range shooters sending 6.5 screamers downrange in quantity view a barrel every year as the price of admission I guess.

hodgeman":1pamchl8 said:
bobnob":1pamchl8 said:

A 1500 round tube life should be sufficient to carry an average hunter through most of a hunting career. Out of a high powered rifle most hunters I know will shoot a couple of boxes or so a year in practice and sighting and a few at game….call it an arbitrary 50 annually…that's 30 years worth. Good cleaning and shooting practices may extend life even further than that.

Of the die hard big game hunters I know- only a couple have actually burned out a barrel. The serious target and varmint shooters I know have all burned out a barrel a three.

Serious long range shooters sending 6.5 screamers downrange in quantity view a barrel every year as the price of admission I guess.

Another excellent reason to have multiple rifles to shoot, not that I need another reason to purchase another rifle :wink:

+1 runtohunt
I only use my 257 Rob for varmits just to save the barrel and I also use a 222 TC Contender for varmits.
I only shoot a rifle enough to work up a accurate load and then shoot it just enough to get use to it and know what it will do. I normally don't shoot more than 100 rounds a year out of one rifle. I burnt the barrel in my first 30-06 using it for everything and don't plan on burning any more. :mrgreen:

In any case its good and most interesting to see Nosler weigh in with a new high powered offering.

Better still its obvious they've had a good think about what they are trying to achieve. They can see there's plenty of super-powered 30 and 7mm magnums, and have done something just a little different.

Something's just nagging at me that a hot 257 cal cartridge accompanied by suitable heavy, slippery range of bullets up above 120 grains in fast twist barrels would have broken new ground and been something really different.

A 130g ABLR in a hot 257 cal, shooting around 3200-3300fps in a fast twist barrel. A 130g Ballistic Tip to go with it?

Maybe just something to dream about.

bobnob":36esfxow said:

That's already here with the Savage and it's clone made by Remington. All you need is a barrel nut wrench and head space gauge to change a barrel.

The Boys on Weatherby Nation have been pushing Weatherby for a long time to come out with a 264Wby magnum rifle and some have experimented with necking down various Wby rounds since Wby didn't respond to them.
I dropped a post about the 26 Nosler on the Nation and they responded to it.
Check out what they have to say.

They should call it the 264 Phoenix...(rising from the ashes). The 6.5mm has rallied over the past decade. The 260 Rem in 1997, the 6.5x284 in 1999, the 6.5 Creedmoor in 2007, now the 26 Nosler. Not to mention the rise of the 264 Win Mag again.

I was thinking the Creedmoor or 260 for my daughter to use in the future as an all around deer, antelope, predator gun. Still thinking...

Back