26 Nosler?

He also reported it will have a 26" tube and have the proper 1 in 8 twist 8) the Patriot is apparently pretty light too.

TRIC":3mu6aeno said:

I notice that they use the ABLR for the 26 Nosler data while most other cartridges are the regular AB. That boosts BC from .509 to .561, which doesn't hurt their longer range numbers at all.
So, there is a bit of "apples to oranges" comparison there.

It's still impressive. I'd like to see how my hunting partner's new 6.5 Weatherby compares.

Dr. Vette":1vvfiwv8 said:
TRIC":1vvfiwv8 said:

I notice that they use the ABLR for the 26 Nosler data while most other cartridges are the regular AB. That boosts BC from .509 to .561, which doesn't hurt their longer range numbers at all.
So, there is a bit of "apples to oranges" comparison there.

It's still impressive. I'd like to see how my hunting partner's new 6.5 Weatherby compares.

I m a big Nosler fan but doing a comparison like that is just wrong, we aren't a bunch of idiots. The little bit saying it has as much speed at 400 yards as the 260 Rem at the muzzle is also wrong. The 264 WM is capable of a lot more than 3100 fps with a 130 gr bullet too. Whatever happened to being objective? I certainly expected better from Nosler, stuff like that irritates me to no end and with that my rant is done.

gerry":3va9yuvm said:
The little bit saying it has as much speed at 300 yards as the 260 Rem at the muzzle is also wrong. The 264 WM is capable of a lot more than 3100 fps with a 130 gr bullet too. Whatever happened to being objective? I certainly expected better from Nosler, stuff like that irritates me to no end and with that my rant is done.

The ad copy I saw said it retained as much velocity at 400yds as the .260 Remington has at the muzzle…

Since the .260 makes 2800fps MV with a bunch of loads and the data chart for the 26 lists 2700fps….I'd say they're wrong…. An 18" .260 and a 26" 26 and you probably have an accurate statement but that's a lot of caveat for an ad slick. A .264WM with a 26" will certainly get better than 3100 and has for a long time but I doubt it would touch 3400.

But realistically- every cartridge out there is advertised in the best possible light when compared to other cartridges…it's the nature of the business, it's practically been Winchester's standard playbook for a century and everyone else's too.

I'm pretty sure the 26 will perform as advertised… is it enough of a gain to make folks take the plunge? I don't know that I'd part with a good .264 or 7mmRM to get one but for a guy looking for a "sub .30" open country gun it looks darn good. I'd think in a lightweight it would make an ideal sheep rifle. It's probably going to be hard on barrels but in a hunting rifle a 1000rounds could very well be a lifetime of hunting if not two. I don't think it's a game changer in cartridges but I think it would make a very nice round for hunting mountainous or open terrain.

You are right it was 400 yards, edited the post to make the correction.

It will be a great long range round for sure and perform like that are saying. I do hope Nosler will release a proper ballistics chart with a level playing field for all rounds.

I just hope they bring it to Harrisburg PA at the Out Doors show so I can get a up close and personal look at it.

I'm with you Gerry, I can pretty easily get 3350 with Retumbo and 130 AB's. I know the comparison's are a little skewed most of the time with new cartridges. I would think that extra case capacity would be really better utilized with a 140 or even a 150 something sized bullet, like we were talking about before.

Hmmmm let me see now----- what sells new guns and ammo? Man what a Gee Wizz Flash Bang round faster than a speeding Weatherby and will maintain that velocity and energy better than anything out there with just a 129gr bullet, Gee I got a have one so I can push out my chest and brag to everyone I can out shoot your superdooper whatcahmacallit. Now that's new round and rifle marketing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Had to have a little fun with this. :grin:

If the comparison were made with all using ABLR's, the difference would be closer.
At any rate, the new 26 Nosler is still an impressive round.

JD338

Agreed. Cool round.
On the 150 gr bullet, would that twist (8?) stabilize that?
Haven't played with that, just pondering.

The 26 Nosler would make for a dandy
long range coyote round.
I'm really liking what I see.

JD338

JD338":1537azep said:
The 26 Nosler would make for a dandy
long range coyote round.
I'm really liking what I see.

JD338
Don't need a long range round, I had two in my back yard this mourning playing. They got away before I could get a gun. :(

I agree it is going to make a great long range gun, if an affordable LH rifle comes out in it I will consider it for sure. The Patriot sure looks nice to me, a couple of guys on HuntingBC have ordered them already.

I have to chuckle about the long range coyote comment, I'm sure that's what Elmer Keith said about the 270 Win :) Of course it will be great for almost anything here in N.A.

I think it's pretty neat. In factory loaded ammo it does stand out in velocity and retained energy. It can also be chambered in a shorter, lighter, cheaper package than it's closest factory competitor the 270 Wby. We can beat it with our loads and bullets but most hunters buy factory ammo. I'd like to know what weight bullets it will stabilize with the twist they'll come out with.

Back