Std. 257 Roberts and new 110 Accubond

Ack Imp

Beginner
Jan 6, 2006
Gentlemen: I could use help please. I have only found one thread asking this same
question, and the answer was to use the old IMR 4350 and work up from 36 gr. up
to 40 gr. Depending on the gun/barrel, etc. that probably would only get an average
of 2,650 fps -- perhaps a little More. My rifle is an older Ruger model 77, with 24'' barrel and long throat. It has the sliding tang style safety.

If 115 grain Nosler Partitions can safely reach about 2,900 fps in my rifle with RL-22
and Ramshot Magnum, wouldn't the 110 gr. AccuBond be capable of at least the
same velocity?

The bearing surface is long on the AccuBond. About like that of the Sierra 117 gr.
and the 115 gr. Partition, so it should not build pressure in excess of those heavier
bullets unless the "bonding" makes the Jackets harder or something that I am not
aware of.

These 110 gr. Accubonds have been available for a while now and we Roberts
shooters need some updated loading data with newer slow burning powders
That just might be as accurate in our individual rifles as good old 4350 is in the
Lilja testing barrel at Nosler's Lab.

Thanks in advance if any of you have any information to share.

You will be able to obtain the same velocities or better them a little then a 115g or 117g bullet. I do not own a roberts but I do own a 25-06, so I cant help you with load data.

Ack Imp,

I have a few older reloading manuals. They indicate that in a good rifle, the Roberts is capable of impressive velocities, revialing the .25-06 Rem. Apparently it ain't unheard of to get near 3000 FPS with 117/120 grain bullets.

Good lcuk,

Tom

I tried the 110 in my "Bob" using H-4350 and Reloder 22. I got velocities near 3100 fps from the 24" barrel of my Rem 700. I started with the max load listed for the 115-120 gr bullets and went up carefully from there. The max load the Alliant web site quotes for Re-22 in the +P loads are a good place to start. The loads for 120gr class bullet on the Hodgdon web site are way low for +P standards. You can start there but will have to work your way up carefully.

Thanks guys. With some good weather I'll get out to the range and run some loads
over the chronograph and see how they group.
The 110 gr AccuBond should be an excellent deer and antelope bullet if it shoots
decent in my rifle.

Back