Now for Marlin Maniacs!

NEVER heard of a good ford.:love:
At least not since 1979!

And I would pay good $ to see DrMike twirl that new Lariat of his! LOL

And here in the great white north, it not uncommon to see the white stuff fall as late as the first weekend of June! Of the past 25 years, we have only had two May long weekends (3rd weekend of May) where we have not had had rain and/or snow over the course of the weekend! And of course it that first camping trip weekend of the season for most Canadians - and they go regardless of the weather forecast.

I've got one of the last JM 1895SBLs to roll off the line. It shoots great and has taken many game animals from small pigs to bull moose. I'd like to get one of the new 1895SBLs but there are very few to be found as of yet.
Considering that most of the new Ruger/Marlins are retailing for $2,000 or more, the MSRP of $1,399.00 doesn't seem all that bad. LOL

NEVER heard of a good ford.:love:
Beat me to it.

Seriously, though, having "Nickel-plated bolt with spiral flutes adds a distinctive, classy look and a smoother action." is great, and a "Threaded barrel, with a match-polished, factory-installed thread protector..." is all fine, but "A rifle at a price you can afford" would be my top choice of accessory. Unfortuanately, while the first two quotes are from the Marlin website, the last one is not. Not even close.

Last edited:
I guess I just do not understand the fad of wanting to hang a can on the end of a lever action rifle...
It's going to take away from the rifle's natural tendency to be light, easy to carry, mount and shoot, especially in those tight brushy areas where most of these rifles are typically carried and used, and are so handy to get into action quickly.
But since most new shooters are enamoured by long distance shooting/hunting, or sitting in blinds/treestands, that they have lost the understanding of what "hunting" is all about and what these rifles were originally designed for.
Not to mention that riflemakers are putting "cents" before "sense". It truly has become a beancounters world!

My Marlin collection consists of a model 25 (.22LR), a model 29 (.22LR), a model 336RC (30/30) and a model 1895 (45/70). I enjoy shooting them all from time to time. Note that I only shoot standard velocity .22 ammunition in the model 29.

My Marlin 338MX arrived today! In very nice shape, with a little figure in the wood.
Mounted a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 Firedot scope in Leupold rings on a one piece base.
Now to wait for some good weather to get out, sight it in and go bear hunting with the wife!

Back about 30 years ago an old Winchester collector told me. " If I was your age I would buy rare Marlins, there are little competition at gun shows, and even though they cost the same as Winchester's when both new at turn of century, they are now about half price! He claimed it was because of the Hollywood movies with Winchester rifles! I took his advice and started buying pre 1936 Marlins mostly Deluxe guns around 1990. They did just what he said they would, and some are fetching 10X what they sold for back then, Not a bad investment........... Here is a factory engraved 1889 in 44-40 PG S/Deluxe with half Octagon barrel. Nice old exampleIMG_20230117_091122~3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!

With what people are paying...or at least asking...for Marlin lever actions today, you would do well to sell now while asking prices are at an all time high and collect you funds and enjoy while you still can!

I am amazed at what people are asking for a lot of items online right now, and are getting marked as "SOLD"...just don't know if they got their asking prices...
$2000 plus for Winchester Model 88's in 308, $500 for 1000 primers, $2000 for a '94 Big Bore in 375 Win, $2000-3000 for Marlin lever actions, $4200 for a new Ruger made Marlin 45-70...and many guys asking better than new prices for used firearms, scopes, etc. ...just blows the mind!

The only Marlin I’m looking for is one in .41 Magnum.
Either that or wait until Henry puts a loading gate on their .41 Magnum.

Vince

Back about 30 years ago an old Winchester collector told me. " If I was your age I would buy rare Marlins, there are little competition at gun shows, and even though they cost the same as Winchester's when both new at turn of century, they are now about half price! He claimed it was because of the Hollywood movies with Winchester rifles! I took his advice and started buying pre 1936 Marlins mostly Deluxe guns around 1990. They did just what he said they would, and some are fetching 10X what they sold for back then, Not a bad investment........... Here is a factory engraved 1889 in 44-40 PG S/Deluxe with half Octagon barrel. Nice old exampleView attachment 19001

Oh boy, you done well! (y)

The only Marlin I’m looking for is one in .41 Magnum.
Either that or wait until Henry puts a loading gate on their .41 Magnum.

Vince
Took me about 20 years to find one here in Canada! Paid more than I imagined I would when I found it...but in order to get it, it had to be done. Not about to let it go either! Going to take it bear hunting, and it is on the list for cougar (hound hunt) should I get the chance.

Seen the odd one on Gunbroker over the years. Marlin made 3 versions that I know of over the years...the Cowboy, the S (which I have), and the FG, if memory serves correctly, and not necessarily in the correct order.

Best of luck in your search!

I have an Marlin 1895 45-70 and the 444 Marlin... Both are great rifles and are really fun to shoot!

I have a Remlin1895 CB in 45-70. Wood to metal alignment is great and the finish and function is perfect. I also have a Marlin 336SC JM stamped 30-30, and other than the trigger pull being quite heavy both guns are excellent shooters. I have taken a mule deer doe with the Remlin but to date have not taken any game with the 30-30 other than gophers. They are fun guns to shoot , I must admit

Picked up a 444 Marlin with very pretty wood! Couple of small safe kisses, but otherwise in excellent shape, and looks to have been fired very little, if at all.
Have already acquired dies, bullets and ammo (265 gr FTX).
Going to mount my VX-III 1.75-6x36 in QRW rings on it.
Should be a great bear and moose thumper!

Back