Light weight mountain build, Caliber?

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
So contemplating a lightweight mountain rifle build and wondering what short action caliber to lean towards, kinda wide open. Thoughts? Was thinking 308 or 284 family of cartridges.

I'm boring. For a lightweight rifle I would consider .308 if I was gonna put a muzzle break on it, and if I didn't want a break, 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creed.

Need more info.
What is your goal weight for the rifle?
What ii the intended game to hunt?
What is your maximum shooting distance?

JD338

SA 7mm-08 or 308 will take up to elk all day long. The Creed would work as well
I have killed a bunch of elk with a center-grip XP-100 (specialty pistol) that had 7mm-08 rifle performance.

Need more info.

JD338
I agree with JD , we need to what your intent is. I would lean towards a 7mm WSM.

Need more info.

JD338
Weight I haven't totally thought out, likely sub 6#
Game mostly deer sized possible elk but would be just opportunity
Distance would be under 500yd

Will a 6.5-284 fit in your rifle action?

Otherwise I'd likely do a 7mm-08.

7mm SAUM is making a comeback... how long is it?

Guy
I would pick the SAUM over the WSM myself, when working with a SA magazine.
For a max of 500, primarily on deer sized game, Why add recoil to a very lightweight rifle with a short magnum?
I f you go with a SAUM, which is what I would do, if I wasn’t gonna go with a member of the 308 Winchester family, you could go and 6.5, 7mm or 30 Cal.
It would be a heavy hitter. I’m doing a 300 SAUM on a sub 16 inch (but it will weigh more than your project, and it will have an exceptional muzzle brake), as we speak😎

Last edited:
If you had picked .264 as an option, I would recommend 6.5 PRC or 6.5x284.

And with the rifle being sub-6#, I would recommend 7mm-08. (I know some Mtn hunters prefer the AI version)
If you had said sub-7#, I would have also recommended 7 WSM/SAUM to give the extra in handling recoil for longer shots on the odd elk mixed in with your mountain game (Mtn goats can be hard to impress).

I would look at the 7-08 with 150-160 gr bullets or the 308 with 165 gr bullets.

JD338

In the sub 6 pound range I've had .308, 7-08, and 6.5CM... I'd do any of them again.

Of the three, the 6.5 was easily the most accurate and most pleasant to shoot but that was in a particular rifle. I'd not lean toward a magnum cartridge (although I dearly love the 300WSM) based on your game and distance, no need to put up with the recoil and expense if you don't need to for whitetail deer.

Custom .375 Ruger:D

On a serious note ~ For deer and up to elk, I doubt you will find much practical performance difference between the two ranges you were thinking. With the range of loads, powders, and projectiles out there, it's a fairly simple matter to tailer a load to a purpose. There are a lot of great suggestions about specific cartridges, so I won't bother in the vein. Instead, I would suggest that you think about what you would feel most comfortable with (confident with), perhaps what you have experience with (shooting and loading), perhaps what components you already have on hand, and the "X" factor - maybe you just want something different, or fun.

I know, probably not very helpful, but there it is. Let us know what you settle on.

Easiest and cheapest to find ammo, bullets and brass. Right now local stores have only 308, 223 and 9mm ammo for sale.
A bigger diameter bore is lighter. Save several ounces over a 24, 25 or 26 cal.
Short action saves 6 ounces over a long action.
Use almost any powder from fast pistol to slow bed ticking.
Use bullet weights from 90 grains xtp pistol bullets to 220 grain High BC.
Subsonic to over 3000 fps.
Cast loads for cheap, low recoil practice work great. Cast yourself or buy commercial.
Long barrel life compared to high pressure rounds.
Surplus ammo available.

Will a 6.5-284 fit in your rifle action?
Otherwise I'd likely do a 7mm-08.
Guy
I dont think the action is long enough to take the advantages of the 6.5-284, and yes the 7-08 has been sticking in my mind
If I was logical I would just add another 260 to the safe being as I have all of the components

I came across a Defiance AnTi action at a local shop and that is what started me thinking about going down this path. It is a short action standard bolt face

I dont think the action is long enough to take the advantages of the 6.5-284, and yes the 7-08 has been sticking in my mind
If I was logical I would just add another 260 to the safe being as I have all of the components

I came across a Defiance AnTi action at a local shop and that is what started me thinking about going down this path. It is a short action standard bolt face
The 260 would definitely be the "easy button."
What barrel taper and length are you considering?
If elk will be in the equation, I would still lean toward the 7mm-08.

The 260 would definitely be the "easy button."
What barrel taper and length are you considering?
If elk will be in the equation, I would still lean toward the 7mm-08.
I'd like to have atleast 22", with a featherweight contour.
Should probably just buy a weatherby backcountry but what fun is that

I'd like to have atleast 22", with a featherweight contour.
Should probably just buy a weatherby backcountry but what fun is that
Or a Nosler M48 Mountain Carbon.
My wife's rifle is a 30 Nosler with a VX-6HD 3-18x50mm scope, PRW rings on a Picitinny tail.
A short action 22" barrel and a smaller scope would weigh in a lot less.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20210109_153814392.jpg
    IMG_20210109_153814392.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back