300 H&H Pet Loads

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I have a M70 P64 300 H&H I’d like to get shooting. New gun to me and new cartridge as well, I assume it’ll be similar to the WSM since capacity is about the same. I’ve got 165-220 grain bullets and just about most normal powders us hoarders keep around.

Haven't scoped it yet, but I have a Z5i 3.5x18 that might be nice on it.

Looking forward to hearing what you’ve got!

Scotty,

That looks in really good shape. Is that a 26" barrel? I hope it shoots well for you. Unfortunately, I have no experience with that cartridge to share with you.

Dan

Nice old cartridge you have there. The 300 WM is the closest to that I load for. W760 for mid weight and RL22 for 180gr and up. Do you know the twist rate for that barrel?

My load is straight out of Nosler reloading data on line 180gr Nosler AB max load of IMR 4350 work up slow in your rifle mine shoots 3 1/2 inch groups at 300 yards which is good enough for me on Large Big Game.
Only thing is mine has a Leupold 3.5x10 40mm
I have not needed more power but I have wished for less sometimes.
If I was to scope it today I would look to 2.5x8 36mm scope

Scotty,
A true American Classic! Congratulations buddy.
Load up some 180 gr AB's and hunt elk this fall. Of course a 180 gr PT would be pretty cool.

JD338

I have a M70 P64 300 H&H I’d like to get shooting. New gun to me and new cartridge as well, I assume it’ll be similar to the WSM since capacity is about the same. I’ve got 165-220 grain bullets and just about most normal powders us hoarders keep around.

Haven't scoped it yet, but I have a Z5i 3.5x18 that might be nice on it.

Looking forward to hearing what you’ve got!
A beautiful classic gun from an era when attention to detail was standard. Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Nice old cartridge you have there. The 300 WM is the closest to that I load for. W760 for mid weight and RL22 for 180gr and up. Do you know the twist rate for that barrel?
It's a 1-10, but I haven't measured it yet. I've been surprised by a little less and a little more than some companies advertised in the past. Oh, it is a 26" barrel on it as well.

I have a bunch of 180 AB's and a good amount of H4350, I4350, H4831, so maybe I'll start there. Thank you all for the comments, I think I got lucky grabbing it. I am hoping to tear it down, wipe it down good, adjust the trigger, and torque it back, get a scope mounted on it and maybe get out to shoot a little. Weekends go quick lately it seems!

Great grab Scotty, you seem to have a knack for finding good rifles. I always wanted a 300H&H but could never find one I could afford so I ended up with a 30-06 and have owned 3 which 2 have been barreled or converted to other calibers because I wore them out:D.
Hope it shoots good for you.

Nice rifle Scotty, the 300 H&H has been around a long time. Look forward on some good results. Those powders you have on hand should work.

Beautiful Pre-64 300 H&H.The 300 Win Mag has a useful case capacity of 5.62cc,the 300 H&H has a useful case capacity of 5.33cc,the 308 Norma Magnum has a useful case capacity of 5.18cc and the 300WSM has a useful case capacity of 4.91cc,so it's really near twins are the 300 H&H and the 308 Norma Magnum.I been doing some load development for my 308 Norma Magnums,mainly with 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and Accubonds,both bullets shooting the same point of impact for me.My rifles have 26" barrels.I have loads that have reached to the mid 3100fps range with out really any issue except with my Norma brass.I was getting loose primer pockets once I exceeded 3100fps.The necked up 7mag Remington and Winchester brass had zero issues,so I've decided to keep my 180gr loads around 3050fps to avoid the primer pocket issue with the softer Norma brass.73.0grs of Reloader 22 and 69.0grs of any of the 4350 powders gave me very good accuracy in the mid-3000fps range.

Great info fellas, soon as work slows down a little, I will get some stuff loaded. Haven't even had time to adjust the darn trigger on it yet, or get a scope mounted!

It's a nice rifle though, I am looking forward to getting it out in the open air.

Forgot I'd posted this. Haven't had a ton of range time with it, but I loaded up some 180's I have kicking around with the Accuracy load from the Sierra manual.

The rifle gave me fits. I had it in Warne bases and Leupold Backcountry rings with the Swaro but I could never come close to getting it zeroed. Got the Redfield Jr 1 piece mount off Pre64Win.com and put a 2-8 Leupold I had hidden in my stash on it. Well, low and behold, it started behaving.

I need to get back after it and try the 180 BT's again and see if I can get it to repeat. It is quite the cool old rifle.

I was telling Guy the other day I need to have a 30 caliber year someday, since the 7mm's usually steal my attention :cool:

Hey Scottie, I recall a thread where Cheyenne commented she had a 275, 300, and 375 H&H. If she’s around still, she could provide some insight. I think she said her grandfather was her handloader.
Love the cartridge… no experience with it.

Back