Sometimes not too hot works

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Trying out a couple of old loads with the Pre 64 30-06.
The 180 Accubonds were a special run by Nosler years ago that actually have a hunter orange tip that shows up red in the photo.
These actually shot decent in another rifle. A little hotter load that didn’t do well in this one.

165 Sierra HPBT were a light load recipe that my dad loaded for me when I first started hunting.
They have done good in three different rifles and have put the hammer on several local blacktail deer over the years.

Having a shooting bench so close to my reloading room will make load development easier.

You might try 56.0 gr. W760, WW brass, WLR primer and the 165 gr. Nosler AccuBond. I took down a nice cow elk at roughly 100 yards, one shot, a short 30 yard run and down and out. Bullet hit a rib on entry and passed though the elk into the left long, literally pulverizing it. IIRC, velocity was about 2880 FPS. Rifle is a custom Mauser chambered to the 30-06. This was on my 2018 elk hunt. My last hunt was in 2019. None since due to medical issues, DAMMIT!.
Paul B.

Looks like a great bench. Yes, you will enjoy having it closer to the reloading bench. Glad you had one accurate load. Dan

Very nice! What a sweet old Winchester. Like the stock. Yes would be very handy to have a 100 yd range right at the house. I'm afraid that would be hard on my wallet and loading supplies. I couldn't help myself, be all I'd get done.

The rifle is very nice, and accurate.
I'm sure you will find an elk load in short order.
Especially with that new bench.

JD338

Back