Just a buck.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Nothing special at all, just a legal buck, but got something off my bucket list yesterday morning. Killed a buck with my Dad's 348. I had killed 2 doe on 2 different years with it but hadn't carried it for a few yrs now.

Had my left and right lined up good, but was low on both entrance and exit. My fault on that, but got it done.

Nothing special at all, just a legal buck, but got something off my bucket list yesterday morning. Killed a buck with my Dad's 348. I had killed 2 doe on 2 different years with it but hadn't carried it for a few yrs now.

Had my left and right lined up good, but was low on both entrance and exit. My fault on that, but got it done.

Excellent! I've no doubt that completing that task is most gratifying.

Congratulations!
The hit looks fine to me.
Granted, the picture is at an angle. But it still looks good

Thanks. Picture is a little deceiving for whatever reason. Basically the shot went in low, exited lower. That hole you see there looks higher than it is.........pretty much is at the top of the leg bone. Got in the chest cavity, but barely. Or put another way it was too low for as far forward as it was. Worked out but I should've made a better shot than what I did. I didn't stop the deer and left him walk through the hole and rushed the shot a bit. Shot was roughly 60 yds. Should've and could've done better. Happens.

Nice!!! Very cool to take your Dad’s gun out. Plus you put Some meat in the freezer! Making me a little jealous, may have to plan something for my .348 again.

Nothin wrong with that shot. I suspect that your Dad would have approved. I carry a fired case in my pocket every day, as a momento of a lucky shot, where Dad said, "just like they write it up in the magazines..." Funny how that works..... Feels good to carry that rifle, no matter, I'll bet. CL

A dead and recovered deer equals success in my book even though we try to be as close to perfect as we can each time. Made a less than ideal shot at last light on a doe a couple days ago myself and decided to let her lay overnight. Not an awesome feeling but she was recovered the next morning so is what it is.
Congrats on reaching your goal. A great accomplishment.

Thanks fella's. Will admit it's nice to have that off the list. Wouldn't of been the end of the world if I never killed a buck with that rifle, but it's something I wanted to try and get done if possible. A guy would hate to miss an opportunity at a nice buck because he was carrying an open sighted rifle, but it was a goal I had and this yr was as good as any, so the scoped rifles stayed at home.

Where I hunt on land that is not posted, if you want a buck you can't pass up a legal one once rifle season starts as it very well may be the last one you see or get a chance at. I passed up quite a few doe the first day because I wanted to stay put and try and get a buck with this rifle.......killed him at 11:00 pushing a doe. Since then I only seen 1 doe while I was sneaking around today and she got up close to me in tight brush, but she never presented any type of shot. How it can get around here, tough in a hurry. But I usually can come up with another or 2 sooner or later.

Back