1. So you want to hunt Africa

HunterJim

Handloader
Oct 20, 2004
This is one of a series of articles I wrote for African Hunter in 2002. if folks are interested, I can post the other articles as well. I retained the copyrights, so no problem.
99Baboon.jpg

HUNTING AFRICA (c. Jim Dodd 2002)

Where to go and What to hunt there

Southern Africa Safari Countries

Imagine yourself in the Space Shuttle viewing the earth from a polar orbit 300 miles up. Passing over the ice of Antarctica, the Dark Continent rises into view, with the cold Atlantic bangwelu currents to the left, and the warmer waters of the Indian Ocean to right. Your heads-up display shows the political boundaries against the terrain. Directly ahead at the southern tip of Africa is the Republic of South Africa. Moving further north, Namibia heaves into view on your left hand. Botswana is to its right, and Zimbabwe lies a bit further right, with Mozambique on the extreme right. North of Zimbabwe is Zambia, and north of Mozambique is Tanzania. These countries comprise the principal Southern Africa hunting countries. This is a huge area, with a thoroughly interesting variety of topography, terrain, flora, fauna and hunt opportunities.

Universally, people who go to Africa to hunt, want to return, again and again; travel here at your peril! My own first hunting experience, siting up on a Namibian kopje, I had a tremendous rush of déjà-vu, a recognition of place, an identification with this place as the place of my far ancestors. It came strongly to me that we all came from this great land, all of the humans are sprung from this Africa.

Making this connection is part of the process that locks the one-time Africa hunter into repeated trips. That dusty land stretched out for miles and years in front of me, sparsely filled with trees, and the echoes of other times and other people. It is like returning to a family home that you had never visited before, new yet familiar. I last felt this connection to those who came before touring the catacombs of Rome.

For further research, you can get a variety of Africa and country-specific information from the African Studies Center at the University of Pennsylvania. Also Lonely Planet's "Africa - The South" (ISBN 0-86442-473-6), newly published in 1997, is available in US bookstores, and is a good handbook. This is a general reference as the authors pretend that hunting does not exist.

Now for some snap shots of the individual countries. Geographic data is from the CIA WorldFact Book.

South Africa - Their motto is "A world in a country!" -- South Africa is some 1,219,912 square Kilometers, or slightly less than twice the size of Texas. Population is about 43 million. There are 11 official languages, including English. Altitudes range from sea level to over 10,000 feet in the Drakensburg Mountains. There are extensive hunting opportunities. South Africa is a "first world" country, and most things are readily available. Game is on private ranches. Low daily rates, but higher trophy fees. Great facilities and service. Higher chance of a fly-by-night outfitter because of sheer numbers.

Namibia - Formerly Southwest Africa, Namibia became independent in 1990. 825,418 Sq. Km, slightly greater than half the size of Alaska. Namibia is a dry land, and with only about 1.8 million people, has the lowest population density of Southern Africa. English is an official language, and is widely spoken. Hunting is conducted on ranches in the south and on the central escarpment, and on concessions in the north. The hunting program here developed in the German tradition and is excellent, and government regulation is enlightened. This is a great first hunt destination, and prices are on the lower end of the scale.

Botswana - Formerly Bechuanaland, Botswana encompases 600,370 square Km, is slightly smaller than Texas. The average elevation is 1,000 meters. The landscape is an almost flat expanse of scrub covered desert, or savannah. The famous Kalahari Desert covers about 85% of Botswana, and the equally famous Okavango Delta occupies the north. The population is about 1.6 million. English is the official language, and is the language schools teach. Setswana is widely spoken. Most safaris are based in tented camps, and charter flights are used to reach camp. Expect an excellent hunt, but with higher prices. Lion hunting is closed in 2002 as part of a government study of lion populations.

Zimbabwe - Formerly Rhodesia, "Zim" is a land-locked country some 390,580 sq Km with altitudes ranging from to 900m to 1700m, and is slightly larger than Montana. Population is about 11.3 million. Hunts are conducted in concession areas and on private ranches. Some areas are close to major airports, and are easy to reach. This is classic bush veld hunting. Expect excellent camp facilities, great service, excellent PHs. Lowest chance of encountering a fly-by-night outfit. Daily rates higher, but trophy fees lower. Red tape can be a real pain. The political situation in 2002 requires watching on a daily basis.

Mozambique - 801,590 Sq. Km, slightly less than twice the size of California, with an estimated population of about 19.3 million. Portuguese is the official language, and many indigenous dialects are spoken. One of a kind buffalo hunts (how about a portered hunt in a swamp up to your waist?). Good leopard, but not much other game (the war, you know). Lacking in facilities especially after the recent tornadoes and floods. Have your papers in order before going. Not recommended for a first time hunt, and do your staff work before going at all.

Zambia - Formerly Northern Rhodesia. 752,610 Sq. Km, slightly greater than the size of Texas, with a population of about 9.7 million. English is the official language, along with a variety of local languages. Zambia has a checkered past, and hunting conditions are up and down like a yo-yo due to local politics, not because of any problems with game. Hunting takes place in concession areas and ranches, and the camps are generally first rate. Best leave this one for later, and again do your staff work if you decide to go. Prices are on the high side. Right now in 2002 concession hunting is closed while the courts sort out some issue of the new, quasi-privatized hunting system.

Tanzania - Formerly Tanganyika, Tanzania is actually a part of East Africa, but is included here because of its great (but expensive) hunting. The area is 945,090 sq km, slightly larger than twice the size of California, with about 36.2 Million people. Swahili and English are official languages. Many professionals consider Tanzania to be the best hunting destination, harking back to the days of yesteryear in Kenya. Hunting is in concessions.

Game Distributions

African hunting is famous for the Big Five (elephant, black rhino, Cape Buffalo, lion and leopard), but there are also some 72 antelope species (the actual species count depends on the source). Not all animals occur everywhere, so your choice of area determines what you can hunt.

Black rhino are not hunted anywhere in Africa today. Some hunters substitute hippo taken on land for the black rhino, judging both to be equally rasty in temperment, and powerful.

The traditional mixed bag African safaris that Robert Ruark and Peter Hathaway Capstick described were hunts for the Big Five, and other animals occurring in the territory, lasting three weeks to a month or more. Teddy Roosevelt spent a year in the field on his famous safari. These hunts are still available, but today shorter and more targeted hunts are available too. A first hunt is commonly a plains game hunt, meaning antelope are the game. Antelope range in size from 4 pounds to over a ton, something for everybody.

One of the great pleasures of hunting Africa for me is the sheer number of animals seen daily. A second is the variety found. You don't know what you will see next, from rodents to elephant! North American game populations are sparse by comparison. Every day you can expect to see multiple examples of shootable trophies. My third great pleasure is the bird watching; it is world class.

My strategy for my own hunting is to build a hunt package around one of the big five or a special animal, and complement it with the other species that occur in the area. For example, my next hunt will be to Zimbabwe for Cape Buffalo. I told the outfitter that I also wanted to hunt waterbuck, zebra and impala from his list of game. This strategy balances time required and cost, and allows me to go more places.

Decide what you want to do, and choose the country and the animals accordingly. If you want to hunt a particular animal, then go where other hunters report that they are taking those animals. If you just want to hunt Africa, the field is wide open. If you want to combine hunting with some side trips as a tourist, there are many choices too. A history buff could book a hunt in South Africa's KwaZulu/Natal and visit the battlefields made famous by the Boers, British and the Zulu. Great bird shooting and fishing are also available, and they are both excellent by any scale. Combination hunts are available too. Capetown, South Africa is a world class city for the visitor. Working with your hunting consultant will give you ideas you might not have thought of yourself.

More animal details are in Richard D. Estes "The Safari Companion" (ISBN 0-930031-49-0), published in Southern Africa and the US; 451 pages of serious detail on the mammals of Africa. Safari Club publishes its Record Book of Trophy Animals; it is an excellent reference for the hunter. Rowland Ward continues to publish their Records of Big Game; they now have offices in South Africa and in America.

Here are some details about the individual countries. For length, I will only mention the most popular species. Remember too, that there are some 72 species of antelope and gazelle in Africa.

South Africa - There are extensive hunting opportunities, and top drawer facilities. Game is on private ranches. Great nyala, white rhino; good elephant, lion, leopard, Cape Buffalo, kudu, sable, waterbuck. Many unique species, such as three types of springbok.

Namibia - Hunting is on ranches in the south and on the central escarpment, and on concessions in the north, split about 70-30. Largest bodied elephant in Africa, great kudu, red hartebeest, springbuck and gemsbok; some lion, leopard, cheetah, Cape Buffalo, roan, nyala, waterbuck available. Super value for the price.

Botswana - Much of this country is hunting concessions, especially in the Kalahari and Okavango Delta. Great lion, kudu and sitatunga; good elephant, leopard, Cape buffalo, sable. Excellent facilities. (Note: lion hunting is closed this year while populations are studied).

Zimbabwe - Hunting is on concessions and private ranches. Good elephant; lion, leopard, Cape buffalo, kudu, sable, waterbuck. Superior outfitters and excellent facilities throughout the country. The political situation continues in turmoil.

Mozambique - One of a kind buffalo hunts (how about a portered hunt in a swamp up to your waist?). Good leopard, but not much other game (the war, you know). Lacking in facilities. Have your papers in order before going.

Zambia - Great sable; good lion, leopard, Cape buffalo, kudu, roan, sitatunga, waterbuck. You must buy the licenses in advance, like North America. Work with the consultant and outfitter team on choices. If you don't take an animal, you don't get a refund. Do your staff work here, politics change things rapidly.

Tanzania - Formerly Tanganyika, Tanzania is a part of East Africa, but is included for its great (but expensive) hunting. Great lion, leopard, Cape Buffalo; OK elephant; kudu, roan, fringe eared oryx, lesser kudu, sable, sitatunga, waterbuck. It would take at least two safaris to collect one of each game animal available. Bring your wallet. This is the destination if you want to take multiple Cape buffalo.

Web Resources

CIA WorldFact Book 2001
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

Rowland Ward
http://www.rowlandward.com/

Safari Club International
http://www.safariclub.org/

University of Pennsylvania African Studies Center
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/African_Studies/

------------------------------------------

Sidebar

Hunting farms: free chase or put and take hunting?

South African hunting is largely conducted on private game farms or ranches. There are also some private, provincial or national parks or reserves where some trophy hunting is offered by outfitters who are selected by tender. I am focusing on South Africa as a ranch or farm hunt destination, as there are a lot of hunters going there every year to hunt on those ranches. There are also hunt ranches in Namibia, Zimbabwe, and Zambia. I have hunted private ranches in Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe and had excellent hunts.

Some hunters criticize the ranch hunt that has too many shootable examples of a particular species as a canned hunt. Game managers on the other side take pride on the number and size of animals that they have under management, and they cull the females and non-trophy animals is similar fashion as the whitetail game managers do in the United States under the rubric of quality deer management. In the extreme though on small properties with too many animals, these hunts can be seen as a "put and take" affair.

It is up to you as a hunter to find out the details of any hunt you are offered, and to compare them to what you want to experience.

HunterJim

Great information! Thanks for posting.

JD338

Your understanding of the hunting opportunities and conditions is very good and the info is needed. Good article indeed. Thank you

Thank you, gents. Some of the conditions have changed, but the general comments are still good. You can hunt a black rhino if you can pony you the $100,000 of so for the trophy fee.

If the moderators are cool with it, I will post more...thanks...jim

Great post Jim. I so want to go back NOW. I was told that the cost for a black rhino had one more zero in there.

Back