100 gr Barnes TSX vs gallon jugs

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
20 yard test into the one-gallon plastic jugs. Muzzle velocity of 3340 fps. Bullet recovered from the 7th jug. Noteworthy penetration for any expanding rifle bullet! Recovered bullet weighed 67 grains without the petals and expanded to .33" diameter. With the petals, it weighed a full 100 grains:

IMG_0505.jpg

I've used this bullet on two mule deer. One was a head shot at about 125 yards. Bullet entered the ear, exited the opposite side eye, and didn't appear to expand at all. Didn't matter of course, the brain shot dropped the deer instantly.

A 4x4 Wyoming buck fell to another 100 gr Barnes TSX from a mere 30 yards or so. It fully penetrated the chest, and inflicted massive damage on the heart. That buck died instantly too.

Yes indeed, the deer-slaying .25-06 again. I kind of like that rifle... :mrgreen:

Just out of curiosity, where abouts in the sequence of jugs did you recover the petal frags? Thanks for posting your tests BTW, they are fun to look at.

MuleyJ":28egg6c8 said:
Just out of curiosity, where abouts in the sequence of jugs did you recover the petal frags? Thanks for posting your tests BTW, they are fun to look at.

Muley J

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

JD338

Muley J, as I recall, the fragments were found in the 4th jug. One was actually stuck in the plastic shell of the jug.

Thought it was interesting how deep that slug of copper kept going after shedding the petals.

Guy

Guy did you ever try any of these at slightly lower velocity? I’m thinking about running this bullet in a 25 WSSM for my wife’s cow moose hunt this fall. I’ve been running 100gr BT at 3135fps and should have no problem running the TTSX as fast or faster.

Thebear - sorry - I never saw your April 2015 post. :(

No, I never tested these at lower velocity. The leaped out of my .25-06 at 3340 fps, and were sub MOA accurate.

I think that at lower velocity they'd be less prone to lose their petals, but I don't know that for sure.

Shot a few more of these a couple of weeks ago. It had been about 4 years since I'd tried any!

Guy

Back