120 gr BT

old_school_guy

Beginner
Jan 8, 2017
I have read that Nosler made the jacket thicker on the 120 gr 7mm BT sometime in the past. Does anyone know what year that was? I got 2 unopened boxes of the 120 gr BT 7mm bullets when I bought a used rifle recently. I want to load them for a 7mm-08 I have but I am wondering if the bullets were made prior to the jacket thickness increase. How can I tell which ones I have? Maybe I'm overthinking thinking this, but if these bullets I have are the thinner jacket ones, then I'll go buy some new ones to calm my anxiety. LOL
:?

Attachments

• 120 bt.jpg
    120 bt.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,277
You could do a density test with displaced water to see how they compare to a reference point...copper is going to need more space that lead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does Nosler release that kind of information? I've heard/ read, the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 7mm 120 gr BT is the ONLY bullet Nosler offers that doesn't have its own jacket. Any 7mm 120 gr BT will have the thicker jacket wall.

JD338

Its fine. When they first came on the scene, lots of folks found they opened quicker ( the tip) than the older Solid Base softnose ( which was a great bullet itself) For example, in a 30-06/308 the 150 was going too fast, so was really bomb. Naturally, some went to the 180BT...same results, why? One was too fast, the other had too much soft lead up in that thin nose. I used the 165BT in a 308, for example, it was "the right speed" for that thin nose, in that round, but had "less" soft lead up in the nose, it folded back to the thicker jacket base quickly. It acted like a Partition on a big axis buck around 230yds. The guides on that Del Rio ranch were very apprehensive about me even using Ballistic Tips, especially after the magnum boys had come through. I didn't discover this by myself, I spoke with an unknown to me Tech at Nosler discussing this and he suggested the 165. Fast forward today, they are tougher, and you can push them fast or slow them down. The same principle above applies to the type of cartridge used of course, a 150 in a 300 RUM is going to be a lot more destructive than a 120 in your 7mm08. I used the 120NBT in the 6.5/284 from near to far and it was perfection, very similar bullets. I think you will be "more than pleased" with that 120 in your baby! Have a ball! Jim

The rule of thumb I usually see on the internet is if they were packaged in the old days in 100 per box quantities they were probably the light jacketed bullet of the old days.

I'm with Kraky1 on this. Not the 120 gr. BT but I had the 140 gr. BT's from a 100 bullet box and it blew up on a deer's rib. Shot was maybe 80 yards out and it literally blew a big patch of hide from the deer. I started after it but blew out my right knee so the deer was lost.
I heard later that Nosler thickened some of the jackets when they went to the 50 round boxes.
Paul B.

Just cut one. The registered "Solid Base" (as shown on this packaging) was originally lead tipped and when Nosler answered our needs to toughen up the BT line all they did was basically add the plastic tip to the original "Solid Base" design that had served hunters so well for many years, then the less than optimum weights for medium game stayed the same design on the rear (Solid Base) and thinned the front even more they appropriately call them "Varmint BT's"

They may have thickened the side walls a bit just above the base since then but it can't be much different as the length to ogive from the base is too similar.

My bet is they are the exact same as the "Hunting BT" made today in this specific instance. I still have a couple of old boxes of the 100 grain "Solid Base" lead tipped in 243/6mm. A few years back I cut one and compared to a 95 Hunting BT. They were identical at the base and boat tail area!!

And the now discontinued Solid Base bullets were very dramatic and predictable killers.

120 BT seconds are cheap from Shooter's Pro Shop. I wouldn't hunt with the ones you have. Range loads, sure, but I wouldn't hunt with them. The risk is too great.

P

old_school_guy":2eeujq7u said:
These are not seconds. Why would you not hunt with them? Please explain.

You are asking two questions, I think.

First, regarding seconds, they're all I shoot. Absolutely nothing wrong with seconds.

Second, early Ballistic Tips had thin jackets and developed a reputation for blowing up on game. Several years ago Nosler beefed up the jackets significantly and the issue disappeared. The BTs pictured look old enough to be the thin-jacketed variety. Since new bullets are quite inexpensive (seconds, anyway) in my opinion using the old bullets is not worth the risk.

P

I think both nosler AND Hornady got a surprise when they moved to plastic tips over hollow points on what had been a successful lead tip bullet. Those first Hornady sst were hand grenades too. I remember 140 sst loaded mild in a 270 win leaving near baseball sized wound channels.
Pharm is right....get the new bullets...use the old for practice or predator fun.

Back