140 npt, 7mm-08

jason miller

Handloader
Sep 4, 2012
I tried twice to catch one of these, but was unsuccessful. Regardless, I figured I'd report on their performance. First, I lined up seven jugs to be safe. At 25 yards and with a muzzle velocity of approximately 2850 fps, the first 140 Partition blasted through 5 jugs, squirted out the back corner of the fifth, and missed the sixth. The carnage was fairly impressive. After I had tested the other bullets I brought, I lined up my last 4 jugs, with another large bleach jug and a 2 liter soda bottle behind the 4 milk jugs. Once again, the first 4 jugs were ripped apart, the bleach jug had 2 big holes in it, but the soda bottle was unscathed. No bullet to be found, so my guess is that the round soda bottle managed to deflect or bounce the bullet. I'll try again to catch one someday, but the performance was impressive. I'd definitely be using these if animals bigger than deer were on my 7-08's menu.

That is great performance from the 7mm 140 gr PT. The very reason its one of my favorite bullets.

JD338

Man, I may have to try and load a few up. I'd like to see what they look like outta the jugs. Granted, they will probably look like every other PT, but I'd like to see how much shank is on the bullet.

Back