165 BT in 30-06 load test results

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
Was able to get out and try one of my 06 loads yesterday. I shot 165 gr ballistic tips with 58.3 gr IMR 4451. Got an average velocity of 2925 with SD of 6 and the group was sub MOA. I was just starting to get some extractor marks on the brass so I will probably stop there in terms of my powder charge. My goal was to get to 2950 but 25 fps isn't that big of a deal to me.

That sounds good. Good accuracy, good velocity, and a good bullet.

My H4350 load is about the same at 2940 fps, with the same bullet. I've used it effectively on elk, black bear, mule deer & pronghorn.

Seems like you're at a good point to stop adding powder, and just call it good. (y)

Nice work!

Guy

Thanks Guy! Good to know that this load worked well on elk. All I am doing right now is deer hunting with it. If it will kill an elk it will kill a deer!

I'm following suit with you fellas as I am working with a buddy on his M700 BDL 30-06 and the 165 gr BT. After a deep clean on the barrel, we mounted a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS in medium rings on Weaver bases eliminating the Kwicki see through mounts. Did a trigger job and it now breaks at a crisp 3.5 lbs with no creep. The load is 57.0 grs H4350 in a R-P case and a Federal GM210M primer.
We got a 100 yard zero in 5 shots. The last two were well under .5". He was thrilled!
Then I had him turn up the dial a couple clicks and he started pounding my 10" gong at 250 yards. He's never shot this far and he was still grinning 3 days later.
He's taking the rifle in to the gunsmith to have a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad installed. Once he gets it back, I'll shoot it to verify the load and run it through the chronograph. Then he can order a custom CDS dial.
Once he gets it, I'll work with him and get him to the club where he can shoot 300 and 400 yards.
I wonder how long that grin will last?

JD338

ReloadKy":3uhjvvdr said:
Thanks Guy! Good to know that this load worked well on elk. All I am doing right now is deer hunting with it. If it will kill an elk it will kill a deer!

The elk I took with it was a cow, on a late season hunt here in Washington. Range was just shy of 340 yards. I'd practiced quite a bit with that rifle & load at 300 yards and had taken a black bear at 325 yards with it a few months earlier, so I was confident. When she turned broadside, I took the shot, holding the horizontal crosshair right on her back, to let the bullet drop right into the vitals.

I wanted to put the bullet right behind the fore-leg and avoid bone, but I managed to hit the scapula. The bullet zipped right through that, and shredded both lungs. The bullet also hit and broke the off-side scapula. Didn't find an exit wound, and didn't recover the bullet so I'd guess the bullet went out along with what was left of the lungs when I was field dressing the elk. Quick kill, no problem.

1UX5KGih.jpg

I really like that 165 Ballistic Tip. It's become my standard bullet for the 30-06, opening quickly on light game like pronghorn, and penetrating plenty deep enough for black bear and elk.

Best of luck with it!

Regards, Guy

JD338":1c93c3u8 said:
I'm following suit with you fellas as I am working with a buddy on his M700 BDL 30-06 and the 165 gr BT. After a deep clean on the barrel, we mounted a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS in medium rings on Weaver bases eliminating the Kwicki see through mounts. Did a trigger job and it now breaks at a crisp 3.5 lbs with no creep. The load is 57.0 grs H4350 in a R-P case and a Federal GM210M primer.
We got a 100 yard zero in 5 shots. The last two were well under .5". He was thrilled!
Then I had him turn up the dial a couple clicks and he started pounding my 10" gong at 250 yards. He's never shot this far and he was still grinning 3 days later.
He's taking the rifle in to the gunsmith to have a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad installed. Once he gets it back, I'll shoot it to verify the load and run it through the chronograph. Then he can order a custom CDS dial.
Once he gets it, I'll work with him and get him to the club where he can shoot 300 and 400 yards.
I wonder how long that grin will last?

JD338

That should work out great Jim! (y)

Guy,

Your experience with the 165 gr BT is impressive. I remember you using your load a few years ago to hunt everything- deer, antelope and elk with excellent results.
I cut my teeth on the 'ol 30-06 back in the day. It's kinda fun to come back to it because it just works.

JD338

Jim - ya - a few years back I did "re-discover" the 30-06, and switched back to it for most of my hunting. That was a great decision.

Honestly, I couldn't be happier for general purpose hunting.

Ya, my 25-06 kicks less and has a flatter trajectory.

Yup, the 7mm Rem Mag looks awfully zippy and works great. Recoil is about the same as the 30-06 too.

Yup, I do dearly love the 375 H&H, and I may well carry it again for black bear this year. Just because.

And of course my lever action 30-30 & 45-70 rifles are always fun.

But... With a good 30-06, I really don't "need" any of the other hunting rifles. Shhhhh! Don't tell my wife!

Guy

Yeah the 30-06 is an oldie but a goodie! The rifle that I have is nothing special. It is a remington 700 adl that I got at walmart for $329 and did the trigger job myself. I have been able to get this cheap ol rifle to shoot sub moa groups with multiple bullets / powders. However the 165 gr seems to be the sweet spot for this gun.

There's a fellow, a doctor, who over a couple of decades hunted every species of big game animal in North America. His rifle was a 30-06 Rem 700 ADL, and his ammo was the handloaded 165 grain Nosler Partition.

Except he did bump up to the 200 grain Nosler Partition for Kodiak bear, and I think something else.

This is his book, it's excellent, if you can find a copy:

FAeM6Dfh.jpg

I think your rifle should serve you well. (y)

Back