168 Nosler Ball Tip vs Hornady ELD Match Test on Water jugs

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I was bored today so I headed off to the range with 12 water jugs to test the performance of the 178 ELD- Match and the 168 Nosler Ballistic Tip for the .308. I checked velocity of both loads and they both looked mild loads to me without any pressure signs, the 178 grain ELD-Match was at 2,680 fps with 42.8 grain IMR-4064 and the 168 Nosler Ball. Tips at 2720 with 43.8 grains of Varget. Spread out a 8x8 tarp at 30 paces to collect any fragments that may bounce off the jugs, etc. Lined up 6 jugs for the ELD-Match and the bullet disintegrated when it passed through the first jug and some fragments ripped through the tarp and a chunk of lead or copper continued through 3 more jugs and made a dent on the 5th jug with no bullet or copper jacket intact. It was disappointing.

2nd test with the 168 Nosler Ballistic Tips with 6 more jugs,,,bullet ripped through 5 jugs just to make a dent on the 6th jug, some bullet fragments on the tarp with some pieces of green poly tip, lead and copper jacket. The core separated somewhere between 3rd and 4th jug and lead fragment continued on to the 6th jug to bounce off and lost somewhere in the field.

Results: seems that the Ballistic Tips does work as a hunting bullet at 25 yards, and for the 178 ELD-Match, its not a hunting bullet but a match bullet being distingerated is normal. Since most shots will be further out and bullets should hold up better at longer distances.

I was wondering if the ELD Match 178 will hold up on whitetails and hogs at 100 yards since the velocity will drop to 2400-2500 ish fps? I think the ELD Match is similar to the A-Max.

I was reluctant to reload 178 ELD-Match for this week's hunt for whitetails and hogs, but loaded up some 168 Ballistic Tips instead because I was comfortable with it and I don't want tiny fragments of bullet in my meat. I am sure head shots will work with the 178 ELD Match. :lol:

By the way a copy has been sent to the Bullet Test section. (y)

PY38nkE.jpg

ePt6UdF.jpg

Well, I'm pretty enthused about the Ballistic Tip, which has a heavy base and jacket, as a hunting bullet. The .30 cal, 165 gr version did real well for me this year: bear, antelope, mule deer and elk.

Guy

If the ELD Match is anything like the Amax, then it should do great as a deer/antelope bullet at long distances, or used for a reduced load

I used the 208 ELD Match on a Pronghorn this year. Heart shot at 466 yards. It broke three ribs on the way in, destroyed the heart and lungs, and broke three ribs on the way out. I also used it on a decent sized Mule deer, heart shot at 670 yards. That one hit a rib on the way in and destroyed the heart but stopped there. I never found the bullet so I assume it disintegrated. I won't use them on game again. It did the job but the 210 ABLR or 200 AB would be a much better choice. This is from a 300 Win Mag.

Please someone explain - what is the logic behind ever using match bullets on game animals? I must be missing something. I'm not trying to flame the OP or anyone, just truly curious.
EE2

Another great test thanks for taking time to do this.
I believe the eld x match will be just like AMax and a lot of people like them for Long Range hunting..... where velocity is likely to drop off under 1900 fps.

elkeater2":j9ya4ino said:
Please someone explain - what is the logic behind ever using match bullets on game animals? I must be missing something. I'm not trying to flame the OP or anyone, just truly curious.
EE2

The only match bullets i've personally used on game were the Berger VLD, .257" 115 gr bullets. Used them on three mule deer, and was very, very impressed with the results. I used them for two reasons:

First, I'd read, from what I considered credible sources, that they were excellent game killers. Penetrating into the vitals before expanding, then expanding violently. I found that to be true. They were very effective killers. I really liked the penetration through the shoulder muscle & bone, with no expansion. Then the violent expansion in the chest cavity. Unique, and effective. Most hunting bullets I have used seem to start expanding immediately, not so the VLD.

Second, I was seeking the best longish-range accuracy I could get. Figured I'd be doing some longish range shots and wanted the best I could get. The VLD's did indeed prove to be very accurate.

I've seen the Sierra .30 cal, 168 grain Matchking used from a .308 Win and was NOT impressed. Accurate? Yes. Good on game? Not so much.

A buddy of mine, who is a professional killer of wild animals. He has contracts with the state, with various counties, and with various private organizations, to remove animals at their request. It's all very legal. He's killed... a LOT. At one time his favorite combo was the .300 Win mag with the Hornady A-Max bullet. I don't remember the weight for sure, but believe it was the 178 gr. Some people might recall that when Hornady introduced the A-Max, they advertised it as suitable for light game. Well, he killed a fair number of elk with it, quickly, cleanly, professionally.

His goals were extreme accuracy, and "drop 'em on the spot." As he sometimes worked in areas with nearby homes & other buildings, he also liked a bullet that didn't penetrate completely through the animal. He wanted in, and dead, right there. The A-Max target bullet delivered that.

So - I think that SOME match bullets actually work quite well for taking game. In some situations. On the other hand, some don't.

Regards, Guy

That's a cool bullet test. Thank you for doing it.

Deer don't take much killing. Those fast expanders are wicked killers.

Guy,
Thanks for the explanation and reply. TackDriver did explain the test really well, and also his conclusion about the ELD-Match and whether it was appropriate for game - not. I can see where, like with some of the A-max's and Bergers, if it is the most accurate at distance and has great ballistics - and it will expand predictably and to suit the purpose, then a particular match bullet might be just fine. Don't know until you test them out just like he did! What a pile of shrapnel....
EE2

Ya. Also note - that after my three deer trial of the VLD's, I went back to my trusted Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I still like the Bergers, and believe that they do exactly what they're advertised to do, but... I prefer my Noslers for most hunting purposes.

Guy

elkeater2":150veljr said:
Guy,
Thanks for the explanation and reply. TackDriver did explain the test really well, and also his conclusion about the ELD-Match and whether it was appropriate for game - not. I can see where, like with some of the A-max's and Bergers, if it is the most accurate at distance and has great ballistics - and it will expand predictably and to suit the purpose, then a particular match bullet might be just fine. Don't know until you test them out just like he did! What a pile of shrapnel....
EE2

Yes, the ELD Match is a ticking time bomb, but it won't hurt to have a bit of fun making head shots on hogs out to 250 yards with it, I won't use them for body shots at all due to the results of the test. (y) I'll stick to the Ballistic Tips. They worked well for me at 100 yards or more with complete expansion and pass throughs mostly. At closer ranges, its hard to miss neck shots. :grin:

Thank you for the test it was quite interesting to say the least. I wonder how the BT. would match up against the ELD-X which is their hunting version?
The Muley I took this past November was anchored with my 280AI using the 150gr. ABLR I shot him at 462yards it was a spine shot which did create alot of damage. I cannot make any conclusions on the ABLRs at this time because I have not used it enough in hunting situations.

Blessings,
Dan

I think structurally the Ballistic Tips on average are much tougher than most give them credit for. People go on and on about Interlocks but to be honest the same weight BT seems to hold up better, at least from what I've seen on a few different forums.

Pushed out of the 308/30-06/270 class they seem to work well.

The AccuBond really does a good job of meeting in the middle in my opinion.

Yes those 168gr Ballistic Tips are very good bullets.I shot three whitetails with a 30-06 using them this season.All of them dropped on the spot,complete pass through,with lots of blood sign on the ground around the animal.Holes through the ribs were around 2"+.

Back