170gr Ballistic Tips in Magnum 270’s

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
SPS has them in stock but I wonder if they will be a single run only. I bet if you put these down a 1:8 twist 27 Nosler, 270 Weatherby Mag, or 270 WSM with US869 they would hit pretty hard. It would be like shooting a knitting needle. You’d have a barrel life of maybe 7 shots. Lol.

This new offering sorta confuses me. They call for a 1-8 twist on the box. Nosler uses a 1-8.5 for their 27 Noslers.

Seems like one hand isn’t talking to the other. I am sure they’d work okay with the added speed of the 27 but danged if you’ll reap all of the BC available from the bullet.

I bet they’ll be some wicked good hunting bullets. I have a 1-7.5 twist Krieger I’ve been dying to get out on a rifle and with the newer bullets coming out for the grand old 270 I’m getting closer to sending parts away.

Agree Scotty, mixed message there. The 7.5 twist Krieger should really shine for this bullet, regardless of the chambering. Man, you could really breath some life into the 270 Win. Talk about a sweet set up for a Western or mountain rifle.
This one would really buck the wind.

JD338

Why would barrel life be worse than with any other .277" bullet?
It wouldn’t be. I was mostly speaking about the overbore characteristics of the 27 Nosler, while being a little bit of a smart alleck. I wouldn’t expect a 27 N to be kind to the throat. I could be dead wrong though.

I do imagine the 170 grainer would give really deep penetration.

This new offering sorta confuses me. They call for a 1-8 twist on the box. Nosler uses a 1-8.5 for their 27 Noslers.

Seems like one hand isn’t talking to the other. I am sure they’d work okay with the added speed of the 27 but danged if you’ll reap all of the BC available from the bullet.

I bet they’ll be some wicked good hunting bullets. I have a 1-7.5 twist Krieger I’ve been dying to get out on a rifle and with the newer bullets coming out for the grand old 270 I’m getting closer to sending parts away.
Scotty, I agree with you regarding mixed messages from manufacturers of new 27 caliber rifles.
I think I’ve read that the manufacturers tested their respective platform with different weight bullets. I.E. Nosler tested with 130-175 grain projectiles(27 Nosler). Browning/Winchester tested with 160-165 grain projectiles with a lower velocity(6.8 Western). Hence the faster rate of twist with them.
There’s the possibility that one achieved stability with one twist rate. Then Nosler achieved stability of the 170-175 grain bullets at a different rate of twist and higher velocity. I may be completely incorrect, if anyone else has insight I welcome your input.

Last edited:
Scotty, I agree with you regarding mixed messages from manufacturers of new 27 caliber rifles.
I think I’ve read that the manufacturers tested their respective platform with different weight bullets. I.E. Nosler tested with 130-175 grain projectiles(27 Nosler). Browning/Winchester tested with 160-165 grain projectiles with a lower velocity(6.8 Western). Hence the faster rate of twist with them.
There’s the possibility that one achieved stability with one twist rate. Then Nosler achieved stability of the 170-175 grain bullets at a different rate of twist and higher velocity. I may be completely incorrect, if anyone else has insight I welcome your input.
You’re probably right and it’s likely enough at 27 Nosler speeds. But, I like a little extra.

anyone guess at the BC of it?

if you have bullet dimensions you could play around on this calculator .

I believe these 170 grainers were designed specifically for the new 6.8 Western.......I assume with a faster twist. I just had a 270 Weatherby built with a 1-8" and I'm hoping these bullets are tack drivers in it, but have not reloaded for it yet.

Back