1st time in 50 years

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
First time in my 50 year hunting history that I'm not out. We're building a house this year and I'm working on the parts that I can do to keep up with the builder. I haven't even shot a rifle since last spring..... I'll make up for loss time this next spring !!!

Ouch. That hurts. But, sometimes we just have to do what we have to do and then appreciate the opportunities that we do have to play out of doors.

It will be worth it in the long run.
It's an exciting time in your life and helping to make your dream come true.
Wishing you all the best in your new home.

JD338

The last time I fired a shot was 2/27/19. It was at a cow elk in New Mexico. On 1/2/20 while on the eay to the range I was involved in a nasty wreck. Totaled my truck and put me in hospital for four days. I was to leave for another elk hunt two days after the accident.
On 2/27/21 I had a heart attack. I think it may have been brought on by the wreck as according to the doc, he thought my ticker has been badly bruised. Another hunt lost and two stents put in.
On 2/22 of this year I get diagnosed with colorectal cancer. Between chemo and now radiation, I have hardly any time to myself. The doc told me I have four more weeks of radiation, then hopefully I'm done with it all.
I've kind of joked about it but sometimes I really do think the decade of the 2020s is out to kill me. At age 84, the decade doesn't need any help. I'll get there in my own due time, not before.
Paul B.

Well, I've always joked that, "Heaven won't allow me in and hell is afraid I'll take over." I'm done with the chemo and only four weeks of radiation to go. Doc decided, so far anyway, to forego surgery and do a wait and see attitude. Radiation comes to an end three days before Christmas. I think it's important that one retains a sense of humor during such periods in one's life. I'm not afraid of going when the time comes but frankly admit I'm not in any big hurry.
Paul B.

I wish you great and lasting good health and a very happy new home. You have as good a reason as any to sit out a season, and you’ll have many seasons to come. 50 years running is a pretty substantial streak. With my son taking his life in August I almost sat this one out as well but am out half heartedly. My boy wouldn’t want me to sit it out on his account anyway. One foot in front of the other even though it’s difficult.

I feel for you as this year has been a ride also. Hope your next year is better also ! I did get a spring bear hunt in, but I have also put a Brother Mother and Father into the Nursing Home and my Mother passed in June my Father in October. To say I have been busy with Family issues is putting it mildly.
Sometimes there are more important things to do.
I hope to get out before Christmas, if not to just squirrel hunt and take a walk in the woods And maybe try calling coyotes.
Then what to do next Fall who knows !

I feel for you as this year has been a ride. I did get a spring bear hunt in, but I have also put a Brother Mother and Father into the Nursing Home and my Mother passed in June my Father in October. To say I have been busy with Family issues is putting it mildly.
Sometimes there are more important things to do.
I hope to get out before Christmas, if not to just squirrel hunt and take a walk in the woods And maybe try calling coyotes.
Then what to do next Fall who knows !
May the Good Lord grant you His peace and shower you with His love. Tough year for you.

I feel ya. When the mining industry feel apart after Bidens “election” I had to take a job driving the big bulk truck for FedEx, you can forget about a day off during peak season. But, coal won’t be held down and I got my old job back, and got to hunt this year, and something for you to look forward to is when you do get to go, it’ll be all the better!!

Back