2,200 mile Motorcycle Trip

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My old 2009 Suzuki V-Strom 650 came up for sale... I bought it brand new in 2010, sold in in 2020 because I wasn't using it much. Wah! Big mistake. I have missed it ever since. The fellow who bought it had replaced it with two Moto-Guzzi motorcycles! He is a meticulous fellow, particularly about motorcycle maintenance. It's in better shape than ever! The aluminum boxes and their frame are a great addition. I always just used nylon fabric bags. He upgraded to stainless steel brake lines as well.

Flew down to Oklahoma City, bought it back. Packed my stuff into the boxes. Grabbed a motel room. Headed out the next day. August in Oklahoma is NOT what this Northwest fellow is ready for! Goodness. I'd planned to camp, but grabbed an air conditioned motel room with a shower for the first and second nights on the road. Eventually camped at Grand Teton National Park. Put in 2,200 miles, with the last day 750+ miles. The 650 liquid cooled, fuel injected V-twin (some call it an L-twin) handled 12+ hours of high speed riding in the heat just fine. Gotta love those Montana speed limits, 80-90 mph was normal yesterday. Worst fuel economy was 48 mpg while I was doing that. Best was nearly 60 mpg while I was riding easily through Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks.

So happy to have this back. I've had a motorcycle most of my adult life and really regretted letting this one slip away. Here's a few photos of my trip through Oklahoma, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington.

Alma claims to be the highest elevation incorporated town in North America:
ASFdBl8h.jpg

tRRlX94h.jpg

OiTg8Slh.jpg

s7Ryj0Yh.jpg

Didn't pause to socialize with folks. Didn't do much photography though I had my good camera with me. Just rode and rode, and got back home. :)

Regards, Guy

No doubt a great thing to be reunited with a beloved bike. I haven't had one since I sold both of my Suzuki bikes in graduate school. That is so long that I've about forgotten what it was like. I'll look forward to reading your accounts of rides.

Isn’t it funny how some things just find their way home. Glad it’s still in great shape yet.
Quite the adventure on your first ride😁
Never had a motorcycle , just atvs and snowmobiles. Never the less 2200 mile trip is outstanding. 2010 before my shoulder surgery I did a 400 mile ride on my sled in one day and I thought that was a lot.

Isn’t it funny how some things just find their way home. Glad it’s still in great shape yet.
Quite the adventure on your first ride😁
Never had a motorcycle , just atvs and snowmobiles. Never the less 2200 mile trip is outstanding. 2010 before my shoulder surgery I did a 400 mile ride on my sled in one day and I thought that was a lot.
400 miles on a sled? Oh my goodness! Never have I done that.

Guy

Congrats on getting your old ride back!
Quite the reunion trip!
Nothing like being on a great ride on a twisty highway!

Worked at a LGS with a fellow who had the V-Strom 1000. He loved it and put 60,000+ on it. He has since gone to the Yamaha Tenere 700 for more adventure touring.
Haven't had a bike since 2006; Yamaha FZ-1 naked sport touring bike that a comfortable upright seating position like the V-Strom. Been looking at the KTM 890 Adventure or the Yamaha GT-9 as potential next bike...

Impressive. I used to live up Teton way, it's a beautiful place. Also an expensive one, but I suppose that's most places these days.

Back