200 gr. Partition 300 wsm

beerbucksducks

Beginner
Dec 1, 2014
I picked up some factory 2nd .30 cal 200 partitions last night because I couldn't pass on a box of partitions for less than $15. I have been thinking of working up a load in my tikka 300 wsm. Is anyone running 200s in their short mags? I have both imr and h 4350 plus some r19 on hand. I am hoping to get 2800 out of the 24" tube and it seems as if r19 yields more velocity than the 4350s according to the new nosler manual. I am just curious to hear others experiences, what worked and what didn't. I'm thinking it'll make a damn good elk, bear, and moose load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62.8 grains of IMR 4350 gives me 2810 with a 200 grain AccuBond in my Kimber 300 WSM. I know its a different bullet but you should be able to hit 2800.

I've had reasonable success with 200 grain Sierra Game Kings. VN560 (maximum charge of 68.9 grains), IMR7828 (maximum charge of 68.5 grains) and RL19 (maximum charge of 65.7 grains) have all given me MOA or better groups with good velocities.

210 gr Berger VLD's at 2810 fps via H4350, 24" Winchester barrel.

Excellent accuracy.

Good info! Thanks guys. Sounds like 2800 should be fairly attainable.

beerbucksducks":pcr5fmjb said:
Good info! Thanks guys. Sounds like 2800 should be fairly attainable.

I did pretty well with RL19 and the 200 PT's in my old 300WSM. Shot them very well and the speeds were right at 2900. Not near my load book, but RL19 was really darned good.

The 200 AB didn't shoot horrible either.

I never really finished the load up, but it seemed to shoot real well...

Good deal! I need to check and see how much 19 I have left. It's been a while since I strayed from 4350. Thanks for the input!

Here is an update for anyone that wants to see. I loaded up 3 rounds each starting at 64 gr of r19 up to 66. My components were Winchester brass, wlrm primers, and 200 gr nosler partitions (2nds). It's looking like 64 gr. Is my load. 65.5 is a little hotter but a little bigger group also. Thank you again for the input, Hopefully I can replicate the 64 gr group!
34beb44104a5b7be10c3688faf191137.jpg
663eb683453ee07b66c401193ed14728.jpg

I wouldn't dismiss that group built over 65.5 grains. Not bad, certainly minute-of-moose.

That would definitely get it done! Good job, now I am wanting to play with mine and 200 grainers.

Just my opinion but I'd keep shortening that 66 grain load you've got. It looks like it could be relatively awesome. A few of the groups are displaying the 2 in 1 out syndrome so it will only improve all of them.

Glad it worked. That's an accurate 300 right there. Nice shooting.

I was thinking about going deeper. Seems like every load I shoot in that gun is around or sub moa but also consistently 2 in 1 out. So I may keep playing with it. Thanks for the input!

beerbucksducks":f7rsu1zr said:
I was thinking about going deeper. Seems like every load I shoot in that gun is around or sub moa but also consistently 2 in 1 out. So I may keep playing with it. Thanks for the input!

No problem. That's a cool load right there. Try 1/4 turn on the seater. I'd almost bet you'll pull it in. That 200 PT is a serious Bullet. Can't wait to see your results. 65.5/66 looks like it could be a wallet keeper if you could pull it in.

Both of my 300 WSMs love the 200gr AB. My go to powders have always been W760 and IMR 4350. 63gr of either gives me a nearly full case and is very near max in both rifles. My COL is 2.85 and both are sub moa. I use Win cases and WLRM caps. The Rem 700 is easier on the shoulder than my Savage. The savage is a very early production model 16, 4 digit serial, and the stock is not very forgiving under heavy recoil. The savage is more accurate all around but with heavy bullets I shoot the Remington better.

Well I loaded up 3 more rounds of 65.5 and 66 with an extra quarter turn on the seater. Hopefully I can get out to the range in the next couple days and see how they shoot.

It'll be interesting to see your results. Hey, we're all pulling for you to find just the right load!

I made it out after lunch and shot the new test loads. A quarter turn deeper on the seater seemed to open the group up instead of closing it. Oh well, it was worth a shot! Now I need to decide if I should test my original 64 gr load again or keep playing with 65.5. 65.5 gr is the left target and 66 is the right.
39f8ccf27486aa050034904c68fcdbd4.jpg

I'd probably try another quarter turn and try again. Rifle and load seem super consistent. Be worth a shot to see what happens.

That's what I'm thinking. I have the original 64 gr load to fall back on so I might as well keep playing with seating depth.

SJB358":nakfetf1 said:
I'd probably try another quarter turn and try again. Rifle and load seem super consistent. Be worth a shot to see what happens.

Bingo. (y)

Back