22 Hornet or 222 Rem?

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
Every time I carry my heavy bench gun across a hayfield, I wonder why I don't own a light varmint rifle for walking around. I have a 17HMR, but find myself wanting a light varmint rifle with a little more zip. I've always wanted a 22 hornet but a nice 222 would be cool too. Which would you rather own and why. I'll add that I have dies, brass, and bullets for both so supplies are not an issue.
Steve

PS: Really been looking hard at the CZ 527 in either caliber

22 Hornet because I have always wanted one as well. May I ask why no 223 or 22-250 though?

The 22 Hornet if you're into a classic old school cartridge, great cartridge over in Africa BTW. The triple 222 Remington is also a classic hardcore accurate round, and was so long before the 22 PPC appeared in '74.

I'd say do you want old school vintage cartridge, or a cartridge that at one time dominated the bench rest market and yet is still very accurate by anyones opinion?

Both are cool, it's just a question on which route you want to go?

Split the difference and get a 221 Fireball.

JD338

I’ve had both but the 222 is more versatile if you reload. I worked up a set of different loads in performance level from 22lr to near 223. There is a better chance that the 222 will be more accurate.

The 222 is the one I would want, it is easy to load and very accurate, one of the great classic rounds as well.

Undoubtedly, either would be fine to own. I find myself drawn toward the 222 Rem, however.

ajvigs":2sejqkwg said:
22 Hornet because I have always wanted one as well. May I ask why no 223 or 22-250 though?

My heavy bench gun is a 22-250 and I swore I would never own a 223, mostly because the M4 ruined that for me.

From what I've read, the .22 Hornet can often be very fussy to get to shoot well. I want both, but I want a Triple Deuce more. I'd love to find an old-school BDL-style 700 Varmint in .222...

BK":35hdldhb said:
From what I've read, the .22 Hornet can often be very fussy to get to shoot well. I want both, but I want a Triple Deuce more. I'd love to find an old-school BDL-style 700 Varmint in .222...

There is one on gun broker right now!

Just my luck. I'm just coming off of long term unemployment, and can't really swing a new rifle right now. Just like my search for a .300 H&H.

222 although I've always had a fascination with the 22 hornet. Just a cool old round.
If noise is any factor, then the hornet, 222 barks a little louder.
Agree with the other posters the 222 is more inherently accurate.
Another point would be distance you plan to shoot. Longer goes to the 222 IMO.
Also think your rifle choice is perfect. CZ527 is a cool rifle.
Since someone also mentioned it, the 527 is chambered in 221 Fireball. :grin: (Couldn't help but inject some confusion)
You could really solve the dilemma and get one of each. :lol: No such thing as too many high stepping small critter rifles.

You can easily download the 222 quieter than 22 hornet. Also the 222 will be more accurate.

I've owned both and found both every pleasing to shoot. The 222 is more accurate but the little Hornet has killed a lot of game to feed my family. The Hornet was the first center fire cartridge that I reloaded. Sadly the Hornet has been passed on and I still have a 222.

One of the worst things I've ever done was pass up an Anschutz .222... it was brand spanking new on the shelf at a going out of business shop.... $700.

I went back a couple days later to get it. Both it and the shop were gone.

Looks like a lot of votes for the 222. My grandfather had a Remington 722 in 222. I shot tons of chucks with it! maybe I should look for one of those.

Back