22 Nosler

mcseal2

Handloader
Nov 1, 2010
Anyone tried one yet? I see that Midway has AR Stoner uppers with an 18" barrel for $450 and 55gr Ballistic Tip ammo. I'm thinking one of these uppers might be just the ticket cerakoted to match the lower for my 204 Ruger upper. I'd have the perfect set, the 22 Nosler for open country with long shots and my 204 for tighter spots where I might get a bobcat.

I hate to buy an upper now before any bugs have gotten worked out, but am darn tempted!

Nosler is claiming 3350fps with a 55gr from a 18" barrel, 3500fps from a 24". Great idea since it uses the 223/5.56 bolt carrier group, just needs a 22 Nosler barrel and 6.8SPC magazine. Simple to go back and forth with the same lower. I have a lower with an aftermarket stock and trigger I really like already.

I think it's interesting, and makes a neat additional for the AR shooter.

I'm sure it will be introduced in some bolt guns. Ballistically speaking, it's a fast twist .22-250 and that's not exactly a bad thing to replicate.

My problem is I don't like shooting semi autos in calibers where I have to chase down the brass. 5.56, 9mm, 300BLK I just let it fly and pick up whatever's convenient and don't sweat it too bad because it's so cheap in bulk. The Nosler brass isn't cheap and I don't imagine it will ever be. I considered building a bolt gun in 22 Nosler but if I'm gonna do that I might as well build a 22-250.

Yeah I'd go 22-250 in a bolt, should be a little faster too. I hear you on the brass, but if I'm losing a few pieces killing coyotes I can live with that. I'm calling a lot on field edges and in timber clearings now instead of huge grass all the time so I should be able to find a lot of it.

mcseal2":15mtqpil said:
Yeah I'd go 22-250 in a bolt, should be a little faster too. I hear you on the brass, but if I'm losing a few pieces killing coyotes I can live with that. I'm calling a lot on field edges and in timber clearings now instead of huge grass all the time so I should be able to find a lot of it.

Good call, it's not like I'm going to be at the range running drills with 22N ammo. It'll get zeroed and probably only ever get hunted with. I'd risk a couple pieces of brass every time I get a coyote kill for sure. Damn I thought I had myself talked out of picking up a barrel...and dies....and brass....

Your welcome!

I think I managed to talk myself out of another lower today, but I still want the 22 Nosler upper. I'm pretty sure I'll have one by next fall but I want to give people time to test them, see what barrel length gives what speed, by some independent testers. I talked myself out of a second lower by talking myself INTO a FoxGrip for my current one. It's like having a second 1 button quick remote for the FoxPro call built into the rifle. It would be really nice to be able to switch to mouse squeaks or something similar at low volume when a coyote is spotted without taking my eyes off him. Or I could set it to a bark or howl to stop one, lots of options.

I used the Foxgrip the first time tonight I went out and made a couple sets. No luck calling, but it works fine. It's real easy to install and pair with the remote. I set mine to the luscious lips lip squeaking sound at volume 10, one of my pre-sets I've used to get coyotes to commit in the past. I hit the button at the end of a set with the call 50yds from me to test it and it worked.

Back