225 grain Bitterroot Bonded Core 338 Win Mag 2900FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I got out yesterday tested the Bitterroot Bonded Core. I fired one shot at 250 yards. It went into 2" with 2 225 PT's. Figured I was good enough to smash a couple of jugs.

The bullet was found in jug #6. It was sorta stuck in the back of #6 but as I shook the jug it fell out into my paw. What was really impressive is the shear amount of carnage it put on the water jugs. It made shredded pieces of plastic in the 2-4 sections of jugs. Hard to really discern what happens with milk jugs, but I know I picked up a whole lot of pieces. Awesome performance. The on game stories mention the blender like effect when used and man, I understand it now.

225 PT on Left 225 BBC on Right

225 BBC Left - 225 PT Right

Here is the Bitterroot next to a 12 gauge Remington Buckhammer for comparison

221 grains retained weight

.955" expanded diameter

Here is the Bitterroot compared to some other bullets I have ran into the jugs and pulled from animals in the past.

Left to Right - 338 200AB - 458 300 grain Unicor - 358 225AB - 7mm 150 Swift SII - 338 225 BBC - 358 270 Northfork - 338 225 TBBC - 358 225 TSX - 348 250 Woodleigh - 358 250 PT

Wow, they sure open wide. Those should be a high shock bullet kind of like the Scirocco, Woodleigh and Norma Oryx. Penetration is excellent considering how wide it opened up, it should go through the vitals on any animal easily and you may find it in the hide on the far side.

Yeah. Seems like they should work Gerry. I have 58 left to hunt with. Try retain a lot of weight and the petals stay perpendicular to the base. Pretty amazing to me. No Partition or special support. That's something at 2900FPS smashing into the water at 15 yards.

Wow Scotty that thing sure expanded a lot and penetrated like a missile!! Nice display of your tests also sir.

Scotty,
I am impressed by the extremely wide frontal area.. and also by the retained weight.
I'm surprised at the penetration you got pushing that inch wide front end, and with the expansion that it exhibits, I'm amazed that it didn't lose any more weight than it did.

somebody (YOU) needs to keep such an amazing creation alive, It would be a shame for them to become extinct.

Quite a collection of bullets you've assembled, Scotty. Very instructive. The BBC will definitely put the hurt on game. I had no idea they expanded that much, but that is a lot of penetration. The hydrostatic shock must be dramatic with that bullet.

I am telling you, I was quite shocked to be honest. I had to recount the jugs a few times to make sure.

I gotta think that sorta shock combined with the mass it shows would be devastating.

Scotty

I just received an email, advising me that you had made the above post and that I needed to comment.

Excellent information Scotty, thanks for sharing it with us.

It "pedaled" out nicely. The Rhino bullet is another bullet designed to "pedal", instead of mushroom and it also does a nice job of doing what it is manufactured to do

The BBC, pedaled out very nicely, with excellent weight retention , excellent hydrostatic shock value, and should the bullet exit the animal, it will leave a nice large exit hole. However following a good blood trail should not be required when hitting an animal with that bullet.

When time permits Scotty, and it doesnt right now, but when it does, we will put on a full court press in an effort to get more of these bullets into your possession

A

Sounds good A.

I asked about the Rhino, but I don't think they are available to us here in the states. If you know of a place to get them, they seem to make a decent selection of bullets as well.

I was very impressed with the BBC. I didn't doubt I would, but I like to "kick the tires" a little on things.. :lol:

Scotty,

That right there is impressive. Excellent expansion and weight retention. What surprised me was the penetration with that much frontal area. I hope A&J can find you some more.

JD338

JD338":1fgcnorm said:
Scotty,

That right there is impressive. Excellent expansion and weight retention. What surprised me was the penetration with that much frontal area. I hope A&J can find you some more.

JD338

I was surprised myself Jim. The weight retention in this bullets case seems to keep it driving forward carrying that big frontal area. Seems like the more I shoot, the less I know.

Thanks for posting this up Scotty, I was curious what you were going to think of them and am glad you will make good use of them. I wish I could lay my hands on some more in 7 mm now that I'm out of them............

BD1":1eu8m98u said:
Thanks for posting this up Scotty, I was curious what you were going to think of them and am glad you will make good use of them. I wish I could lay my hands on some more in 7 mm now that I'm out of them............

You and me both! I'm going to start looking a little more seriously now.

Might have to look at seeing what it takes to make bullets.

All I can say is WOW. To go 6 jugs with that kind of expansion that has to be one of the best examples of controlled expansion I've ever seen.

I'm with you Bill. I was floored. What I'm kinda wondering is everyone raves about the bullets, it kills like a ninja and is pretty accurate. Why not make more?

OU812":369ac3yj said:
All I can say is WOW. To go 6 jugs with that kind of expansion that has to be one of the best examples of controlled expansion I've ever seen.

Exactly!

Wow!

Scotty

we have plenty of Rhino's on hand, so if you will tell me which caliber you want to play with I will get them to our company in the states and they have your address on file and they will get them to you.

Let me know and I will have one of our daughters handle it for you post haste.

We will also continue to search for more BBC's for you, as soon as time permit's. When our daughters went through my father's ammo boxes, they found a couple of sack's and his notes, but no bullet's. His notes indicated that he liked them. I know the two fellows we are trying to buy some from like them, which is why they wont sell them to us (-: BUT, we will keep trying

No worries A. Appreciate the search on your side of the world.

I have .243, .257, .264, .277, .284, .338, .358 and .458 (45-70) to work with. Anything you come up with would be cool. Thank you very much.

Back