225 partition

slickrem

Handloader
Oct 22, 2016
Hi,
I load for the 35 Remington and wanted to know if the 225 Partition will reliably expand at or slightly below say 1600 fps on 300-500 pound black bear. The minimum FPS is 1800, but even for .358 cal?

I think that the 225 gr PT will just pencil through with minimal
expansion and shock. The 200 gr AB might be an option but you
would only be able to put 1 round in the chamber and 1 in the magazine.
I'd stay with the Remington 200 gr SPCL and not look back.

JD338

Welcome to the forum. I would agree with JD338 and load a bullet designed for the 35 Remington. Along with the bullet he mentioned the Speer 180 and 220 gr Hot Cor bullets also have a good reputation and I can't imagine the Hornady and Sierra 200 gr bullets would be bad either.

Welcome aboard, slickrem. JD338 has given you excellent advice. Lower velocities make reliable expansion too "iffy."

If you get into the ballistic studies web site over in the land ofOz nathen has done a real nice write up on the 35 Remington and bullets for it, and how they perform at real world velocity.

Well it looks like I'm going with the 180 FP Speers... but was just curious why Nosler advertises 1800 FPS minimum on their bullet box/site. And it shows a decent mushroom to lead me to say it would work, but why risk it.

I have Remington 200 CL's I found at a local gunshop... and found the 180 FP's penetrate better but with a little less expansion, on Marlinowners.com and are way more accurate out of my Remington 760, very accurate.

But the Partition always sat better with me. Oh well, can't have everything.

I'm concerned about brush hunting and taking a raking shot on bone.. that's why I was looking for a more premium bullet.

SJB358":3hdfdit8 said:
Hard to beat a 200 grain RN out of a 35 Remington..

The remington is a gem....... I sold 250 of them a while back..... :lol:

slickrem":1ottc0ic said:
Well it looks like I'm going with the 180 FP Speers... but was just curious why Nosler advertises 1800 FPS minimum on their bullet box/site. And it shows a decent mushroom to lead me to say it would work, but why risk it.

I have Remington 200 CL's I found at a local gunshop... and found the 180 FP's penetrate better but with a little less expansion, on Marlinowners.com and are way more accurate out of my Remington 760, very accurate.

But the Partition always sat better with me. Oh well, can't have everything.

I'm concerned about brush hunting and taking a raking shot on bone.. that's why I was looking for a more premium bullet.

I have used the 220 gr Speer in my 35 Whelen and it can handle those speeds so I can't imagine a 35 Remington would tear apart the 180 gr version.

slickrem":3h62nsf2 said:
Gerry,
Ever hit bone with the 220's?

I have lengthwise through a 200 lbs hog. right shoulder to left ham full exit

slickrem":1obyiz73 said:
Gerry,
Ever hit bone with the 220's?

I haven't hit bone but it does stand up well to 35 Whelen speeds, you will be just fine.

That 220 will look like a Partition launched under 2600. Its tough.

Don't wanna steal Mike's thunder but he took a grizz with them. I'll let him fill in the details.

slickrem":1tt3rt8s said:
how about black bear? 3-500 lb. +

Unless you're launching them from a 358 STW or RUM you're golden with the 220 speer

I have successfully used the 220 gr Speer in my 358 Win for years on moose, elk and black bear. One shot kills are the norm, when I have done my part. The 225 PT just isn't quite as accurate in my BLR as the Speer, but I would not hesitate to use it on any of the game listed above.

I am considering a 35 Rem in a Marlin 336 for my wife's saddle gun, but have not looked close enough at its specs to say anymore at this time. Found one at the gunshow in Grande Prairie last weekend that would have come home if I had not found the Marlin in 41 Rem Mag!

SJB358":1vy5r20n said:
That 220 will look like a Partition launched under 2600. Its tough.

Don't wanna steal Mike's thunder but he took a grizz with them. I'll let him fill in the details.

A 220 Speer FN launched from a .356 Winchester did, indeed, drop a nice grizzly a few years back. I collected one bullet from this particular grizzly. Several others were lost when they passed through. The one recovered bullet was found under the left front paw after passing through the hunt and down the leg to finally come to rest under the pad of the foot. This was a finishing shot from about ten feet or so.

That same load also accounted for a nice black bear that spring.

The 220 Speer works just fine.

Yeah, Dewey, they've been favourites of mine for many years. They carry so nicely and work quite well on game.

Back