25-06 powder for 100gr bullet

mcseal2

Handloader
Nov 1, 2010
I got the Barnes 100gr TTSX factory loads my new 25-06 liked run over my chronograph this week. I hadn't had much time to work up loads so I tried the new gun with a few boxes of factory ammo I had around from working with a friends rifle. The loads were only running 3007fps average from the 24" barrel on my rifle, so I decided I'd better try handloading to get some more speed. I tried 80gr TTSX bullets and 100gr Swift Sirocco II bullets my first attempt. The 80gr only shot about 1.5" but the Swifts put 4 shots in .5" the first group with 54.5gr of H4831SC. There were no pressure signs so I tried 55gr, still no pressure but accuracy decreased to 1.1". I loaded 3 more of the 54.5gr load and put another group into .6" and proved the first one wasn't a fluke. Then I loaded 5 more and shot with the chronograph, the average speed was 3187fps.

While this certainly isn't bad, I wouldn't mind trying for a bit more speed before quitting. I think I have my seating depth right for this rifle and was pleased with the accuracy. I will likely shoot more coyotes than big game with the gun, but wanted to stick with a tough bullet that can do both. I wrecked a bobcat once with a 75gr V max at 3400fps from a 243 and have decided I'd rather have an exit on a coyote than destroy a cat. I hope that the Sirocco might work for me. I like the speed since I do plan to mostly use this rifle as a windy day/long range calling gun or as a truck gun where shots come fast and there isn't time to range. My wife is liking it to now that I put the 3-18x44 VX-6 scope on it. I want to get a load finalized and get my free turret built for the scope.

Any ideas on what powder to try to get more speed? I was thinking about RL19, RL22, or RL23 for my next attempt. I'm open to suggestions though. I use H4831SC in several other rifles so I started there.

I used the 100 gr Barnes TSX at 3340 fps to take a couple of mule deer with my .25-06 rifle.

H4350

24" barrel

Book loads, nothing crazy. Excellent accuracy. Dead deer. It was good.

Guy

With the 100's, you don't need real slow burning powder.

I use slow burning powder (Retumbo) with the 115's, but not with the 100's. The H4350 & 100 gr combo is well proven and well known. You'll find other references if you look, or I can give you at least one or two.

Guy

In my experience with the 25-06, which is around 30 years, one of the 4350s with 100 gr bullets is hard to beat for accuracy and velocity. In my current rifle which has a 26" barrel my most accurate load using 117 gr Sierra Pro Hunter runs 3000 fps. I could get more velocity with other powders but accuracy trumps velocity in my book. I have killed everything, mostly whitetail deer, to a bit over 500 yards with this load with no problem. I can hold in the hair of a deer out to 500 yards with a 3" high zero at 100 yards and kill it usually in it's tracks with this load and bullet. My first 25-06, Rem. 700 Varmint, liked 100 Sierra Pro Hunter with 52 gr IMR 4350.

I ran RL26 with 100 grain ETips, and like you, I have two boxes of the 100 grain Scirrocos on the shelf and will use RL26 to start with those as well. I had no problem getting 3350-3400 with my 24" 25-06. Hoping the Swifts work about the same.

Any idea how far off the rifling you are?

What are the chances of hammering that Swift into some water jugs for us when you get a chance?

I used IMR 4350 with the 120 in that 257AI ( with the bullets seated way out, I probably had 25-06 powder space available.) Good luck finding any H4350 right now, I'm glad I have some older stock, one of my favorite cold weather powders. I used H4831 with the 117 Sierra in two 25-06 rifles, but never used any 100gr until I got to the 257 Weatherby, that was the 100 TSX. So... maybe R17 is your huckleberry to try for speed/100?

My notes indicate 52.5 grains H4350 results in 3280 fps with a 100 PT from a 24 inch barrel. Accuracy is excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how 4451 would be with the 100's. Supposedly it's just about the same as H4350.

Anything around 3300 with a 100 is a ripper.

I haven't shot the 100 grainers but have been shooting the 110 grain AccuBond with 59.5 grains of Retumbo. Velocity has been averaging 3122 fps and 5/8 groups out of
a 24 inch barrel.

I have both IMR and H4350 on hand, a enough to test loads at least. I'll give H4350 a try first since it's and Extreme powder and then try IMR 4350 if necessary. Thanks for the help, if I can get 3300+ from a 100gr with the accuracy I'm getting now I'll be very happy!

Well I went out to try to call a coyote or fill a doe tag about 2 today. I made a couple sets calling then got into the place I wanted to take a doe at about 4pm. No luck calling early, but the high was in the single digits and I think the yotes are moving until about 10am and holding tight until near dark now. Anyway I jumped 6 does getting into my spot from a strip of grass by a pond that they don't normally hold in, must have been up there sunning in the cold. They ran toward the Interstate Highway that borders the north side of the property and stopped at 300yds in the perfect spot below the ridge where I could shoot safely. Only problem was the older doe I wanted to shoot had the hindquarters of the smallest doe right behind her vitals. I passed on that and watched them run off. I went in to the spot I planned on sitting until dark and settled in. At 5:25 I saw a coyote come over the hill and watched him come toward me. As he approached he took 3 big bounces in the air like he was hunting mice and then sprinted off the hill toward the timber. I saw 6 white flags from deer go tearing off away from my position into the timber. I thought you screwed my deer hunt after I sat out here in single digit temps and wind, I'm smoking you! I had a mouth call still in my pocket from earlier, so I blew a few quiet notes and a pair of coyotes came in. I'm not sure that the coyote I saw originally really intended to chase deer, or if it just spooked the deer meeting up with the other coyote. Anyway they both came toward me on the opposite side of a netting sheep fence and before the leading one reached the point it would have winded me I barked to stop it and took the shot. I dropped it and heard the hit, immediately swung to the second one. It stopped at 300yds for a second and I missed it.

I have always been very good at keeping my adrenaline down to make a shot before getting excited. What has been bothering me recently is that I have missed several 2nd shots after the adrenaline dump hits from my first shot connecting. Not an issue hunting big game, but I think it might become one hunting predators. I almost never miss my first shot but have missed 2 quick follow up shots in a row. I'd take any advice on this.

Lastly, the Sirocco 100gr from my 3187fps load did an excellent job on the 200yd coyote. It dropped in it's tracks and the exit wound was the size of the tip of my pinky finger. I'll take that size exit on a yote to hopefully prevent a blowout on a cat. If I ever call in a cat while carrying that rifle I'll let you know how it works out.

Only known way to help with your adrenaline rush(Buck fever) is to immediately after you have one, it may help to have a few sips of "Yukon Jack" that had been kept in the freezer! It's the Black Sheep of Canadian Whiskey's.... :lol:
Seams to work the same weather you make the shot or miss ???? Certainly helps when telling the story, usually two shots required for ametuers and 4 shots for professionals! :p
And if you don't indulge in adult beverages, there is no know cure, and unfortunately it seams to stay for life! :lol:
RL 15 =35 Whelen
RL 25 =25/06
RL 26 = .270

I too suggest any of the 4350 speed powders. Ramshot Hunter is my favorite for 85-100 grain bullets in the 25/06.

I remember Yukon Jack....I think its what the Indians called "Firewater"! 100 proof...I think some use it power model airplanes? :) ha Now, if you want to kill all the nerves that "cause" Buck Fever, then Baccardi 151 proof is the killer! I could puke a 2" stream "completely over" a volkswagon from that stuff. It would come in handy a charcoal starter though! :)

any of the 4350's or 4831. When I shot the 100's all I used was the IMR4831. Never chronographed the loads though I would get 5 shot groups around .4-.5 with a Speer BTSP.

Sometimes the beauty of hunting is that surge after a great shot, especially with coyotes. I've missed more then my fair share of second chances at a double . Only tip I have is if the other yote never bolted at the first shot or stopped at ki-yi take that 10 or 15 second pause to make the next one count. Like I said I haven't mastered it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preacher,
Your ability to expell fluids over an automoble sounds like
That it has a pretty " hot load" under it.
You may have a worlds record brewing for "distance"

I have used several but IMR4831 is one of my favorites for speed and accuracy for hunting with Partition bullets. I also used it with BT bullets but performance on game was not good. They were going too fast.

I've never tried the TTSX bullets, but I know from my rifle..22" barrel, IMR4350 gives 'field chrono'd' loads of 53gns & Sierra Prohunter #1620 100gn bullets @ around 3320fps.

It's very accurate from my rifle often showing 1/4" MOA as long as I don't wobble! (y)

IMR4831 works well too, but in my rifle works better with the 110gn AB bullet.

Back