25 Souper or 25-06

nhenry

Handloader
Feb 7, 2022
I'm a huge quarter bore fan. They work better than they should. As I'm just now wrapping up my 280 Ackley build with Cerakote, I feel as though I want to build a gun for vermin on up to and including mule deer. Being as though I have a ton of components for 25-06, that would be route that makes the most sense, but for some reason I feel like a 25 Souper (25-308 [or 25-260 since that would be the best route]) would really get my goat as well.

I have scads of 100gr NBTs, 115gr Partitions, 110gr Accubonds, 100gr TTSX, and a box of 101gr LRX. I have a ripe supply of Hornady 25-06 brass, along with a lot of 260 brass back at my parents' home in the attic. Primers are finally a non-issue as well.

With the release of the new StaBall HD, I'm mighty tempted to just go with 25-06 to take advantage of the super slow powder, but I'm still on the fence.

Tax season is comin up, y'all. It's about time for a new rifle.

Well, I am a fan of the 25-06, though I've never owned, nor shot one. I don't doubt the others would do a fine job, either; just my preference.

*EDIT* Actually, (as I think usually after posting), I don't know about twist rates and how that might impact your decision, with the bullet weights you mention.

Well, I am a fan of the 25-06, though I've never owned, nor shot one. I don't doubt the others would do a fine job, either; just my preference.

*EDIT* Actually, (as I think usually after posting), I don't know about twist rates and how that might impact your decision, with the bullet weights you mention.
Whatever I do I'll get in a faster twist rate, but maybe not in a super fast one like my last 25-06 was.

Couldn't go wrong with either. If you're building off a long action don't overlook the 257 Roberts either. I really like that cartridge when it's put into an action where it can breathe and the bullet can be seated out where it should be. It's far from bad in a short action, but becomes something different in a longer action. Highly efficient cartridge when put in a house that fits it better.

I believe JD has one in a M700 Classic long action and he's getting 3100 with the 115 BT's if I remember correctly. From any reasonable assessment, that is 25-06 performance with less powder.

You are correct Jeff, the 700 long action really makes the 257 Roberts sing.

JD338

(y) Don't know if you remember, I have a 257 Improved in a 98 Mauser. The Mauser's are an intermediate length action and essentially all the Roberts needs to load bullets at optimum length since the Roberts is based off the 7x57 case. I don't load that to your pressures, but still it opens up a whole other world in the 257. Very easy to make some pretty big gains over a short action Roberts.

I think you all know that I dearly love the 25-06 cartridge... :)

It's fast and fatal. Doesn't kick much. Easy accuracy. I dunno what's not to like.

KaCBvzqh.jpg

lsF7l3fh.jpg

udxbhYdh.jpg

a8wvdKfh.jpg

ETBfmmhh.jpg

JpQnhQQh.jpg

And more... :) The 25-06 has treated me right. The 25 Souper seems like an excellent alternative. Toss the coin, and enjoy.

Regards, Guy

(y) Don't know if you remember, I have a 257 Improved in a 98 Mauser. The Mauser's are an intermediate length action and essentially all the Roberts needs to load bullets at optimum length since the Roberts is based off the 7x57 case. I don't load that to your pressures, but still it opens up a whole other world in the 257. Very easy to make some pretty big gains over a short action Roberts.
I do remember your 257 AI. The Remington long/Magnum action allows me to load to a COAL 2.900" that opens up a lot of engine room in the case.

JD338

I do remember your 257 AI. The Remington long/Magnum action allows me to load to a COAL 2.900" that opens up a lot of engine room in the case.

JD338

Yep, I'm loading at 2.950. The 98 Mauser was built to house the 8x57 which had a COAL of 3.250. The 7x57 was loaded to 3.065 max and the Roberts case is the same measurement to the case body/shoulder junction, and is within .002 of the case max length. So length wise, longer than a intermediate length action is not needed to load out as long as you'd want, but more room doesn't hurt a thing and a person can safely really push them in a modern long action.

No way to go wrong with a 25-06. I'm not familiar with a "25 Super". As has been noted a Roberts or a "Acklyfied" Roberts are great, underrated cartidges. If you havent picked an action, a 250 Savage Acklety improved could make a dandy rifle. But the one I'd like to try is a .25 WSM. The one Winchester should have made but didn't. 25-06+ performance in a short action.

Guy and his friend Gavin built a .25 Creed (I believe) that was spooky accurate. If you really cant decide, then just go with a good old 250-3000 Savage!

There are lots of optons. Ackley built a .25 Krag.... IF I had an old Krag Jorgensen action laying around... You could be all in vogue and go 6.5 but what fun is that...but most folks woouldnt know your .256 Newton isnt really a .25 Cal.. Some body should build one of them...

Let us know what you decide and keep us quarter bore fans up on the build! CL

Last edited:
Looked a little at the numbers for the "Souper". Jogged my memory..... Hot 100gr loads with IMR 4350 look like they are doing 3100+. Thats impressive, but I can get 3000 out of my 250 Savage if I push it. Other than brass being easier to find (.308) where's the real advantage? 25-06 is easy, common and well developed. Its what I was actually looking for when I found my first 250 Savage (Sssh... dont tell "Aggie", she thinks Ive never looked at another rifle...;) CL

All good info. Had 1 257 Roberts and 3 25-06s. Just got to playing with other calibers and got away from the 25-06. Might need to swing back by that one again. Dan.

If I were in your shoes, my decision would totally be based on what action I was building on, short or long. I love my .25-06, and I have a goofy desire to own a .308 based cartridge in every bore size, .375 on down. Outside of maybe 8mm.

One think to keep in mind with the 25 Souper is action length. You go with a fast twist barrel to shot those sexy long bullet , overall cartridge length will become an issue. That’s where the Creedmoor case shines. If you have a long action the 25/06 makes more sense.

I think you all know that I dearly love the 25-06 cartridge... :)

It's fast and fatal. Doesn't kick much. Easy accuracy. I dunno what's not to like.

KaCBvzqh.jpg

lsF7l3fh.jpg

udxbhYdh.jpg

a8wvdKfh.jpg

ETBfmmhh.jpg

JpQnhQQh.jpg

And more... :) The 25-06 has treated me right. The 25 Souper seems like an excellent alternative. Toss the coin, and enjoy.

Regards, Guy
I always love watching your 25-06 content on Gavin's channel. Lots of good info

One think to keep in mind with the 25 Souper is action length. You go with a fast twist barrel to shot those sexy long bullet , overall cartridge length will become an issue. That’s where the Creedmoor case shines. If you have a long action the 25/06 makes more sense.
Either way, I don't think I'd ever be using the heavy, high BC options. If I were to go with a faster twist, it would be to use the mid-weight Hammer options, like the 100-110 range.

Really thinking about it, I love the 25-06 and I'll probably end up going with that. I have everything I need for it and there's established data for it at the ready.

Either way, I don't think I'd ever be using the heavy, high BC options. If I were to go with a faster twist, it would be to use the mid-weight Hammer options, like the 100-110 range.

Really thinking about it, I love the 25-06 and I'll probably end up going with that. I have everything I need for it and there's established data for it at the ready.

I had the 25-06 with me in Oregon too, on that elk hunt. It was there both as a backup rifle and there was a chance of doing some more hunting. I had no doubt about Nosler's 110 grain AccuBond at 3200 fps. :)

Guy

Back