.257 Ballistic Tips

D21ALASKA

Handloader
Oct 29, 2013
Long and short I bought some 115gr. Ballistic Tips off of a gentleman on Gunbroker. I just received them today and while they are .257 caliber bullets, they came in a loose pack with no markings and have grey, not blue tips. The ogive measurements on them are averaging . 018" different(shorter) than my guaranteed Noslers on hand. OAL is close enough I guess since there can be some difference in the tips.

What's really throwing me here is the fact that they have grey tips and are not in any packaging that identifies them. Anyone ever seen .257 BT's with grey tips? If not anyone think I'm overthinking it and they're fine? Would like to positively identify them before I possibly contact the seller.

Thanks as always.
3f0a39bf443a81d8ecfb4bcf3c4137ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

I have gotten 7mm ballistic tips with gray tips. They were blemished bullets from Shooter Pro Shop.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I’m sure that they are the factory seconds but I will ask have you weighed them? The tip kind of looks like the AccuBond but they would be 110 grains. I have bought both from the pro shop.

BruceP":3dt0r1c5 said:
I’m sure that they are the factory seconds but I will ask have you weighed them? The tip kind of looks like the AccuBond but they would be 110 grains. I have bought both from the pro shop.
I did weigh about a dozen of them as I had the same thoughts. They're all right in the within a couple tenths so they're 115's.

I'm pretty sure they're 2nds as well and it was one of my original thoughts. It's all good if they are, they just weren't marketed as such and when I buy 2nds from SBS they at least come labelled and in 50 packs. This is just 400 bullets in one big bag with no markings. Not as good of a deal as I hoped $ wise with shipping and auction fees. I needed/wanted them though and they're hard to find so is what it is.

Those are factory seconds that were destined to be Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips.

JD338

JD338":30f2egy5 said:
Those are factory seconds that were destined to be Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips.

JD338
Baaam!

Good lookin out JD. Never would've thought of that.

I got 200 from SPS 3 years ago. Same grey tips. Came in bags of 50, with a paper glued-on label identifying them. Mine shoot okay. EE2

D21ALASKA":iaxkl2bi said:
JD338":iaxkl2bi said:

JD338
Baaam!

Good lookin out JD. Never would've thought of that.

Nosler sells them to Winchester and they add the Lubalux black coating to them. I've got a couple bags of them for the 257 Roberts. It's a deer killing machine with either silver or blue polycarbonate tip.

JD338

Guy Miner":2yszqpdi said:
So JD, is a 258 Roberto sort of a Hispanic 257 Roberts? :wink:
Ya just gotta love big thumbs and spell check. :)
257 Roberts

JD338

So, I kinda' like the thought of a 258 Roberto! Just a little bit more than a 257 Roberts. :twisted:

DrMike":dhgej0x9 said:
So, I kinda' like the thought of a 258 Roberto! Just a little bit more than a 257 Roberts. :twisted:

Or..... it's called that when chambered in a Mexican Mauser.

muleman":22qd71sz said:
DrMike":22qd71sz said:

Well mine just happens to be a Venezuelan Mauser action so may be a new handle for it...

D21ALASKA":1lpgon1q said:
muleman":1lpgon1q said:
DrMike":1lpgon1q said:

Well mine just happens to be a Venezuelan Mauser action so may be a new handle for it...

Now, that is funny! :mrgreen:

Back