257 Roberts Load Develpment

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I revisited the 257 Roberts for some load development with the 115 gr BT. My goal was to develop a flat shooting light recoiling antelope and deer load. Using the help of Quick Load from Scotty, I have found something that is just short of amazing!
The first step was to determine true case capacity which was done with H2O.
I poured over the QL numbers and thought this can't be right, the velocities from a 24" barrel seemed too high. I moved forward carefully. RL22 was the chosen powder with R-P brass and Federal GM210M primers. The rifle is a 700 Classic long action with a lot of free bore so I am able to seat my bullets long, the COL is 2.900".
I settled on a load that actually exceeds my initial expectations. efw (Eric) was with me when I shot this load. He just shook his head. :mrgreen: There are no excessive pressure signs, bolt lift is with 1 finger, primers are rounded and no extractor marks. Temp was 77*F.
MV is 3136 fps with an ES of 18 and a SD of 9. I will reshoot this as well as reshoot the same load but with a COL of 2.850. That one had an Avg MV of 3127 fps, with an ES 9 and SD 4!
DSCN06581.jpg

DSCN06631.jpg

I think this load will make for one fantastic antelope and deer slayer.
Scotty, Thank You again for all your help.

JD338

I should think that will be a great load for antelope and deer, Jim. Tight and fast, nothing wrong with that.

I just don't understand why people overlook the 25s for good accurate hunting rifles.
It seems nobody loves the quarters anymore. My 257 Roberts is my favorite rifle in the gun cabinet.

Wow that is impressive Jim!

Should work out great for what you are wanting. That is basically a 25/06.

RL22 is a good powder, what I run in my 25/06.

Very nice Jim. That's a very exciting load for sure. Can't wait to see what it does when you can stretch it out a little.

That really makes the 257 Roberts look like a horse of a whole different color.

Yup! Those are tucked in nice and tight. Fine riflery, Alderman.

JD, I've been using that Reloder 22 load with the 110 AccuBond and 115 ballistic for some time. I think Reloder 22 comes close to the perfect powder for the Bob. That loads looking good for JD and looking real bad for the deer and antelope. That Remington 700 Classic .257 Roberts is sure a sweet rifle.

JD, I believe it, I am getting 3145 fps with 110 AB Nosler factory loads in my .257 Roberts with 24 inch barrel. My groups are between 1/2 and 3/4 MOA.

Jim, your load is doing great! I suspect it may be just a "tad" over published data? Like 6 grains over the max listed for a 120 gr bullet by Alliant.

But, if it's working so well... Why not?

You're at about the same MV I am getting from the 115 Ballistic Tips from my .25-06 Rem 700. I'm only seeing 3120 fps, but am not leaning on them real hard, am at the max book load according to Nosler. You're faster than factory 115-117 gr .25-06 loads... Yes, that particular speed & bullet worked very well for me in Wyoming, 2012.

Congrats! Nice work.

Guy

Awesome work Jim. The Old Bob is one heck of a round. It was initially only loaded at 45K. When loaded in a LA rifle up to pressure it is really surprising nipping on the heels of a 25-06 with less powder. It is perfect size for bore diameter in my opinion.

You aren't kidding. Loading that 257 to 25-06 PSI's and you get about the same stretch as the 7x57 vs the 280. Awesome performance. I'm digging it.

The shame is that SAAMI nearly killed the .257 Roberts with 45 KSI factory loads and handloading data. Thank goodness that the round has survived at all, despite all the help it had killing it for over 60 years.

I sold my .25-06 when I moved back to Washington because I had a 6.5x55 which lasted about two days when my kids found out. Thanks to Elkman, I have another .257 Roberts now and so I am sitting in high cotton. The .257 Roberts is just about perfect for Black Tail deer DRT exercises.

Thanks fellas. Yes, this load is smokin' and should prove to be a solid 500-600 yard deer and antelope slayer. I am going to be changing scopes and putting a VX-3 3.5-10x40mm CDS on it. That should provide better resolution for long range shooting. The CDS dial will allow for accurate shooting on the longer side.

Guy, yes indeed this is over Max published loading data and I proceeded with caution. Having exact case volume for MY rifle along with a long action and throat allows for more case capacity. I would not suggest anyone trying this load without knowing exactly what they are doing and working up to it.

JD338

I tend not to push mine too hard as I have a 25-06 if I want a little more oomph. I've never been disappointed with the Roberts even staying well within the book loads.

Nice results Jim! Your only a couple hundred fps slower than my AI. That bob is gonna be hell on the yotes with that round.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

mtwarych":zuom7bey said:
I just don't understand why people overlook the 25s for good accurate hunting rifles.
It seems nobody loves the quarters anymore. My 257 Roberts is my favorite rifle in the gun cabinet.

Head over to the 24hr campfire to gain a more encouraging perspective!

I have a standard & Better Bob & my son has a standard in the works that he may well end up taking to Wyoming for pronghorn this October. I still feel an insatiable urge for an 84M Select chambered to da Bob!

If that ends up coming together we might have to mimic Jim's work here!

Back