270 150 grain accubond

fwood

Beginner
Jul 15, 2011
I have been trying to work up a load for my Remington 700 270 win XCR, 24 inch barrel 1-10 twist, with 150 grain accubonds. I have been working with H4831sc between 54 and 56.5 grains.. I haven't gotten much better than 1 1/2 inch groups. The gun usually groups about 3/4 inch with 130 grain partitions and accubonds with the same powder. Is anyone going hotter and getting better results or using a different powder for better results. Accubonds in my other rifles like to be pushed hard but it isn't working this time? Its Not an AccuBond Long Range.

Last edited:
Do you have accesss to a chronograph? Are you seeing any pressure signs such as flattened primers or sticky bolt lift after you fire a cartridge? The Hornady #11 manual calls 57.3 of H4831 a max load for a 150 gr. bullet with a MV of 2800 fps. In my experience with the .270 Win. 2900fps or a bit faster is possible. You might try some RL22 if you have some. I've used H4831sc but went back to the regular cut because it fills the case better than the short cut version. Just my opinion.

Do you have accesss to a chronograph? Are you seeing any pressure signs such as flattened primers or sticky bolt lift after you fire a cartridge? The Hornady #11 manual calls 57.3 of H4831 a max load for a 150 gr. bullet with a MV of 2800 fps. In my experience with the .270 Win. 2900fps or a bit faster is possible. You might try some RL22 if you have some. I've used H4831sc but went back to the regular cut because it fills the case better than the short cut version. Just my opinion.
Yes, my chronograph says about 2910 ave, no pressure signs. Nosler says 55 is max as well, lots of people shooting as much as 58? I am just trying to find something that works. I have about 1/2 pound of rl22 ill try it.

Looks to me like your going about working up a load the way most would do it. You might find a node the gun is happy with pretty soon. The test barrels used to test loads in the manuals are chambered to SAMMI minimum dimensions. My mod 700 .270 win. Has a 22" barrel and 2900 plus velocities are common for me with no pressure signs..

Looks like you are going about things like I do. Hope you find a load the rifle likes. My mod 700 .270 win. has a 22" barrel and 2900 plus some velocities are safe in my gun. The barrels used for the loading manuals are chambered to SAMMI minimum dimensions. The loads in the books have to be safe in all guns for the cartridge you are working with. Good luck, be safe and have fun!

Oops! Looks like I posted twice.. sorry for that! 150 grain bullets will stabilize in a 10 twist barrel.. the 150grain ABLR bullets may not.. they are pretty long.. A Nosler tech I talked to says they work well in his rifle.. I've shot some thru my rifle and I didn't see much promise. The original poster said he isn't using the ABLR..

I have two loads for the .270 which use either the 150 gr. Sierra Game King or the Nosler Partition. The Sierra shoots about .25" to the left of dead center and thr Partiton .25" to the right of dead center. I can mix and match and all six shot will be within 1.5". Not sure what powder I could recommend though as my load uses the now long discontinued Winchester Magnum Rifle powder (WMR) All my .270s have 24" barrels except the Ruger #1A which is 22" Average velocity is snapping at the heels of 2900 FPS. I was going to try IMR 7828 and 7828 Ssc in the .270 but decoded the load wasn't broke so I didn't fix it. Without seeing you groups I can only suggest you take your time and let the barrel cool off more before the next shot. You can also play with the seating depth of the bullet. IIRC, Accubonds require a fairly long hump so maybe that might be a fix.
Paul b.

It could just be that your rifle doesn't like 150 gr bullets...or the 150 AB.
Have you tried other 150's?
Or the 140 gr AB? Would still provide higher BC and SD than 130's, and may still shoot well in your rifle...

Last edited:
It could just be that your rifle doesn't like 150 gr bullets...or the 150 AB.
Have you tried other 150's?
Or the 140 gr AB? Would still provide higher BC and SD 3's and may still shoot well in your rifle...
!40"s. shoot fine, I am just trying to get a 150 heavy load for elk worked up. I don't have any other 150"s would love to find some partitions but nosler seems to be on strike for the reloader.

An elk will never know the difference between a 140 and 150 grain bullet if you do your part. Experimenting is part of this game though! It all depends on how much time you want to spend.

Not a Nosler AB but 57.5-58.0grs of H4831SC gives .5-.75 groups in my Rem 700 with Speer 150gr Hot Core. Haven't tried different seating depths. Dan.

I would try a different powder. H4831 is normally go to with 150s but maybe something else will work better. Lot of options these days for powders but who knows what is available

Lou

Not a Nosler AB but 57.5-58.0grs of H4831SC gives .5-.75 groups in my Rem 700 with Speer 150gr Hot Core. Haven't tried different seating depths. Dan.
I have that loaded ready to go. I haven't made it to the range to try it yet. maybe today.

I have been trying to work up a load for my Remington 700 270 win XCR, 24 inch barrel 1-10 twist, with 150 grain accubonds. I have been working with H4831sc between 54 and 56.5 grains.. I haven't gotten much better than 1 1/2 inch groups. The gun usually groups about 3/4 inch with 130 grain partitions and accubonds with the same powder. Is anyone going hotter and getting better results or using a different powder for better results. Accubonds in my other rifles like to be pushed hard but it isn't working this time? Its Not an AccuBond Long Range.
Nosler #9 shows starting of 51.0 max of 55 but …
they show best accuracy was with 51 @ 2750 fps

I sure would like to try some150 AB in my 270 but where can I find them? Hope someone from Nosler sees my reply.

I went to the range today and shot 57.5 and 58 grains of 4831sc. 57.5 was just about 1.2 and 58 was 1 inch with two touching. I can't remember if you measure from the inside or the outside. I am going to play with the seating depth a little and see if they close up. a little wind and snow so there was that.

Back