270 Bee and 270 Win :)

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
It is true, I'm committed to getting both now.

I found a good deal on a stainless H&R Handi rifle in 270 Win to replace the NEF 35 Whelen I sold recently. Should arrive by the end of the week, I'm going to sight it in with factory ammo and then let my young friend Matt shoot it a bunch and then take a black bear with it in May. Dan sent me some brass and after we shoot up the factory ammo we will have a bunch more for reloading. Thinking that the Federal Fusion or Hornady Custom factory ammo will be excellent medicine for blackies.

I tried hard to make things easy on myself and just go with a 7mm RM for my Sako action but just couldn't do it. I even bought a take off barrel but in the end even though you could make a strong case that 7mm's are better long range rounds, the 270 Bee is the one I have always wanted to try and is no slouch with bullets like the 150 gr ABLR. I talked to Gary Eakin from Big Horn Sales who lives a bit east of me and we have ordered a stainless Benchmark 1 in 9 twist barrel to make sure it will work well with the heavier 277 bullets. If Benchmark can copy the Sako magnum Bavarian contour that's what we will go with or at least something similar. It's going to take 4 months to get the barrel since they don't have it in stock, I could have gotten a 1 in 10 twist barrel from him right away but he wanted to make sure I would end up with something that would fit my needs.

I'm planning on using the 160 gr Partition as a general purpose load and then develop a specialized long range load as well with something like the 150 gr ABLR, 165 gr Matrix or 140 gr AccuBond. The 150 gr Interbond is intriguing as well. I'm going to go with a 62 cm barrel (24 3/8") to match how Sako does their guns, besides everyone knows 24" is to short :lol: seriously that is about as long as I would want to go living in the type of terrain we have here. It will be a while before it is up and running but will be worth the wait. It might be put together in time for fall but we will see.

I know, that didn't help any :lol:

Came awfully close to doing the 270 Bee when I had my 264 WM built, had fun with the 264 but now it is time to get my first Weatherby round :)

gerry that is exciting! A 1-9 twist should be perfect for handling the heavier grain bullets in the 277. I bet the 150ABLRs will also work well in this new barrel. I can't wait for that benchmark to arrive :wink:. gerry I sure hope there will be a range report with photos before hunting season starts!!
PS. Congratulations my friend, I bet Maria is excited as well??

Blessings,
Dan

Not as excited as me, she has a hard time keeping up with the latest thing I'm doing :) She is happy there is a plan in place to change things up and knows I'm trying to be careful with our funds. Gary asked Benchmark about the bullets I wanted to use and it was their recommendation to go with a 1 in 9 twist which is what I was thinking about anyway. Maybe I will try one of Rigbymauser's loads featuring the 180 gr Woodleigh :)

Congratulations, Gerry; that sounds pretty interesting. You should have it up and shooting bug-holes shortly.

Those are great prices, you guys sometimes don't know how lucky you are living in the U.S. we don't get to see prices like that around here very often.

With the crap we deal with having such a large population there are a few perks too. It also helps to have the gun freedoms we have had for 200+ years.

Boy, Nathan ain't that the truth! I always remind myself of our freedoms whenever I get the blues about our lying politicians.

Very cool Gerry! I am glad your doing the 270 Weatherby! What a screamer. You should have a whole lot of fun with it. I don't find I am limited by bullets in the least with the smaller WSM. I think you'll have a flat out screamer on your hands. Sounds like a very nice build too.

Good luck on the wait.. I am on month three of six waiting on McMillan for my stock!

Thanks, I have always wanted a 270 Bee so now is the time. What stock are you getting and which gun is it going on?

McMillan is a great choice, I'm sure you will be happy. There is a good chance your accuracy will improve with the new stock.

Scotty when did you order that stock from McMillan?
Here in Canada I was advised that they would not ship just one to the shop here in Regina :evil: & that was approximately 2 to 3 months after receiving the order from the shop.

Blessings,
Dan

I ordered back in January Dan.

Gerry, if it gets better that's cool, if it stays the same I'll be plenty happy as well.

Rigbymauser":2sps8jpr said:
Congratulations with your "Be" coming a .270 Beeman.

To 'bee one, ask one! We will gladly bring all who desire enlightenment and show them the truth and the way.

Picked up some IMR 7828 ssc today so with the RL 22 and Retumbo I have already I'm betting some excellent loads will be found pretty easily.

You definitely have the right powders for such a search. We're all pulling for you, Gerry.

Back