270 Win barrel twist

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Let's say I was going to re-barrel my 270 with a new barrel and I only plan on using it for whitetail deer in WV using 130-150gr bullets. Would you stay with the standard 1-10 twist or go say 1-08? Is there any advantage with a faster twist for said bullet weights? If I would ever get the desire to use longer heavier bullets there's no doubt it would be of benefit. So, what would you do? Dan.

I've always stuck with the 150 gr. bullets in the .270. I did have a few of those long gone Speer 170 gr. round nose bullets. They came along in a trade I did. Never have loaded any to try.
Paul B.

Last edited:
If you're using load you already have you might think about a safety test! + if you're going to shoot heavier than 150 how slow are you willing to go on a 270win without adding barrel length?

Let's say I was going to re-barrel my 270 with a new barrel and I only plan on using it for whitetail deer in WV using 130-150gr bullets. Would you stay with the standard 1-10 twist or go say 1-08? Is there any advantage with a faster twist for said bullet weights? If I would ever get the desire to use longer heavier bullets there's no doubt it would be of benefit. So, what would you do? Dan.
I had a Brux 1-10twist put on my Sako. Stabilizes 130 and 150 just fine. perfect deer bullet weights!

If you're using load you already have you might think about a safety test! + if you're going to shoot heavier than 150 how slow are you willing to go on a 270win without adding barrel length?

This ^^^^^^^
if you're going to shoot 170 grain class bullets you need to increase the boiler room a little. IMO

This ^^^^^^^
if you're going to shoot 170 grain class bullets you need to increase the boiler room a little. IMO
Understand. I wouldn't try to make a bee or 7mag out of it. Would keep bullet wts reasonable for a 270 win, I think. 22in barrel on it now definitely would go 24 maybe 26in. That should jack up the fps some;) Dan.

I’ve pondered the same thing wondering what to do if the barrel ever wears out on my 270. Not much it won’t do that I want to do now with a 150 Partition. IF I had to replace it I would likely do a 24” SS 1:9” and may look into a custom reamer that gave it a wee bit more throat. But, I’d want to make sure it would still shoot 130’s so I’d have to research it some.

I’ve pondered the same thing wondering what to do if the barrel ever wears out on my 270. Not much it won’t do that I want to do now with a 150 Partition. IF I had to replace it I would likely do a 24” SS 1:9” and may look into a custom reamer that gave it a wee bit more throat. But, I’d want to make sure it would still shoot 130’s so I’d have to research it some.
It'll still shoot 130's, but might not like them.

That is what concerns me. Nothing is more “classic” for a 270 than a good 130 grain load. And, that is what got it done in this particular rifle for so many years So I think if and when that day comes it will be original spec.

Back