30-06, 200 Partition, RL26 results

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
I posted earlier I got some RL26 to play with, and I wanted to try it in both the 30-06 with heavies and the 25-06 with 110s.

For this rifle I tried the RL26 with GM215M primers, Nosler cases, and 200 Nosler Partitions. Better results from the 30-06 than previous loads I've tried! Up till now this rifle has been kind of a prima donna.

Here's the rifle again:

vuVgw08.jpg

Since my last outing with the rifle I tore the rings/mounts apart and remounted the scope. I re-degreased the surfaces with alcohol, put in blue loctite on the screws, used a Wheeler torque screwdriver for the screws, etc.

For the previous velocity check I started too high and only got about 2/3 of them downrange before an ejection mark.

qcjHagr.jpg

I switched bullets from the 200 ELDX to the 200 Partition and started lower today.

dnjdE6E.jpg

I didn't shoot the last 3 rounds because I had already found the node I was looking for.

I wanted to shoot groups today also, but without knowing where the powder charge node was I couldn't finish loading rounds. I loaded up cases with 61 grains RL26 in them (with a GM215M primer), and stuck toilet paper in the neck so the powder would stay put.

P5au2cH.jpg

Here's my portable reloading kit ready to go to the range.

DlfiKjR.jpg

After looking at the velocities I decided to try 60.5 grains, with the Partitions loaded up 0.03 off the lands. I flubbed one of the shots; I'm pretty sure it's the low one. I'll take this any day for an elk rifle!

N5px3Ut.jpg

I will say...I'm probably not going to play around with seating depth for this rifle too much. The recoil with the full charge loads and the 200 Partitions is getting into magnum range. Manageable, but I wouldn't describe it as pleasant.

Again, nice workup and terrific results.
That's gotta be wicked on the receiving end.

Cool! Great bullet. I settled for 2600 fps with the 200 last year, 'cause it shot so well.

On paper it was easily sub MOA.

On the shoulder, it was gentle.

On the bear, it was lethal.

But... It was only 2600 fps, not up there where you're reaching!

I used H4350, an old favorite and there was a little velocity left to be had, but probably not much. That RL26 is pretty terrific stuff eh? I've never tried it.

Congrats! You are reaching up there where I am with my 300 WSM load, a 210 Berger at 2810 fps.

Guy

Back