30-06, 200AB, 180PT, 130TTSX, and 19 jugs

jason miller

Handloader
Sep 4, 2012
We took the baby back to my parents' to visit family this weekend, so I shot some jugs for the first time in too long. Before we left, I just loaded up 1 each of the three title bullets and a load that I knew would be safe but near-ish max. I threw 20 empty jugs I had been saving and my chronograph in the trunk, and we hit the road. All jugs were shot at 25 yards, with my chrono at 15'.

First up was the 130 TTSX. I had 7 jugs lined up just in case. Chrono read 3205 fps. The first couple of jugs were really ripped up from the impact velocity. Bullet was recovered in the 5th jugs, all petals still intact. I was expecting it to maybe lose at least one at that speed, but this thing looks perfect. It had the widest expansion of the day. Recovered weight is 129.3 grains.

Next was the 200 AccuBond. I lined up seven jugs to be safe again, and I'm glad I did. The beautifully mushroomed slug, which weighs 144.1 grains, made it into the 7th jug! Expansion was not as wide as the Barnes, but it still did a number on the first two jugs. Chrono read 2672 fps.

I lined up seven more jugs and blasted the 180 Partition into them after passing by the chrono at 2682 fps. It made it into the 7th, too. Classic PT mushroom, with a little bit of lead recovered with the rest of the slug. Total weight was 129.3 grains- exactly the same as the Barnes.

I can't ever post pics on Internet forums. Feel free to post the ones I sent you, if you'd like.

Any of those bullets will work wonders as you hunt game. Great data. You have to like weight retention on the TTSX. You have to like the penetration with the Nosler heavies.

Guy Miner":1tvd6549 said:
Good stuff! Heck, they all look like good hunting bullets.

Guy

I couldn't agree more! That 130 TTSX looks pretty darned wicked.

any reservation to loading the 130 grain x for elk sized creatures? I may have to load shoot for shoulders.

I have not tried the 130 on elk, but I plan to this year as part of a culling program out in West Texas. I think it will work perfectly. I have shot a lot of whitetail deer with the 110 grain and have had great terminal performance. Only 1 deer out of the 30 or so has gone more than 10 feet. All pass thrus from every angle. I think these light weight Barnes bullets are the ticket, but the 168's and 180's are too long and heavy to be the best performers. I have tried them in Africa on culling programs and they were not impressive.

jmm":3erwb53q said:
I have not tried the 130 on elk, but I plan to this year as part of a culling program out in West Texas. I think it will work perfectly. I have shot a lot of whitetail deer with the 110 grain and have had great terminal performance. Only 1 deer out of the 30 or so has gone more than 10 feet. All pass thrus from every angle. I think these light weight Barnes bullets are the ticket, but the 168's and 180's are too long and heavy to be the best performers. I have tried them in Africa on culling programs and they were not impressive.

Interesting report, I can't really see going any heavier than 150's when it comes to mono bullets even on moose. Those 110 and 130's on deer sound very good.

Back