.300 H&H Model 70.... New chambering

Why do they still insist on giving the 25-06, 270, and 30-06 22" barrels in the EWSS when in the sporter they give them a 24" which they deserve??? Idiots!!! :evil: :evil: :twisted:

Oh, my stars, don't let Scotty see this! It could upset all his plans for the 325WSM! I'll have to alert Wildgene to begin to work on the lad, 'ere he slips off the wagon.

DrMike":2o9eury2 said:
Oh, my stars, don't let Scotty see this! It could upset all his plans for the 325WSM! I'll have to alert Wildgene to begin to work on the lad, 'ere he slips off the wagon.

Too late good Doctor!

Thank you for the heads up Kurt.. I was fairly certain I was getting another 300 Win or H&H... this seals the deal! AWESOME!

Way to go BIG RED! That is great news!

It is also a sign of great things to come, the H&H will house all the full length based H&H rounds and RUM's.....

Reading on forums and such, the .300 H&H are beginning to have a new revival again. That means good brass are manufatured.

SJB358":2a0lntv6 said:
DrMike":2a0lntv6 said:

Too late good Doctor!

Thank you for the heads up Kurt.. I was fairly certain I was getting another 300 Win or H&H... this seals the deal! AWESOME!

It is also a sign of great things to come, the H&H will house all the full length based H&H rounds and RUM's.....

Alas and alack, way too late! Nothing to do but rush to secure my order before the young Marine gets one. :grin:

DrMike":3uui3pi7 said:
SJB358":3uui3pi7 said:
DrMike":3uui3pi7 said:

Too late good Doctor!

Alas and alack, way too late! Nothing to do but rush to secure my order before the young Marine gets one. :grin:

HA! Yeah, I have been mulling over what to go to replace my 300WSM since I have sold it.. I am pretty sure Winchester just made up my mind..

For sure, the .300 H&H would be a sweet replacement for the 300WSM. It is a great cartridge for the big ungulates of North America.

I think it'd be fun to load for. Getting a Pre64 in a 300 H&H is tough so I could probably slip into one of these fairly easily.

A friend of mine shoots a Pre-64 in .300H&H… that long tapered cartridge in that well worn action feeds cartridges like corn through a goose.

I've got no interest in a .300 H&H…but I bet modern powder in a modern action would put a whole new spin in things.

hodgeman":24s37xie said:
A friend of mine shoots a Pre-64 in .300H&H… that long tapered cartridge in that well worn action feeds cartridges like corn through a goose.

I've got no interest in a .300 H&H…but I bet modern powder in a modern action would put a whole new spin in things.

It could be a ballistic match for a lot of the big 300s; and it is certainly more than adequate for moose, elk and big grizzlies.

DrMike":jb6wvdph said:
hodgeman":jb6wvdph said:
It could be a ballistic match for a lot of the big 300s; and it is certainly more than adequate for moose, elk and big grizzlies.

I've read some of Boddington's work with the H&H…. superb. 150s@3400 and 180s@3200. Heck, he lists 200s@3000. Of course you won't find those loads in a manual but even reduced a bit they'd do for about anything walking on this continent!

A decent hand loader would have no problem outperforming factory rounds given how anemic they load the H&H these days. A 180@ 2850? You've gotta be kidding! That's '06 territory!

That's what I'm thinking too! I'm willing to give it a whirl. Especially with a 26" tube. Should be real good.

Winchester has gone back to the 26 inch tube in the new Sporter's made in .300 H&H. My Pre-64 had a 26 inch and was throwing 165 Partitions at about 3150 fps and about 3050 for 180 gr bullets. I was not even trying to get high velocity, just the best accuracy loads. At 7 lbs., 12 ounces, they are not going to be Mountain Rifles, although that never stopped me!

Yes, Charlie, but they are Model 70s, and that means quality with class. :grin:

"Quality with class", DrMike. Ever since David Miller did a redesign on the Sporter stock in the 1980's and they went back to CRF feeding for the Sporter and Featherweight in the 1990's, they have had a classy product. Reliability and quality are right up there as well.

A 300 H&H would be very nice.
The M70, without the extra 0, is starting to grow on me! ;)

JD338

Back